milk: what do you drink?

Options
124»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I drink almond or soy milk because I'm afraid of the poisons in cow milk these days.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I don't like to drink any type of milk. But I do like almond milk on my cereal. I even like hemp or soy milk on my cereal, but almond milk is a real treat.

I don't do any dairy anymore. I did find a kefir that is made from coconut milk. OMG, it is delish! Tastes great in smoothies, yumm!

Actually, I'm having an affair with coconut products lately. The ice creams are so smooth and creamy......the cookie dough is awesome!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I don't like to drink any type of milk. But I do like almond milk on my cereal. I even like hemp or soy milk on my cereal, but almond milk is a real treat.

I don't do any dairy anymore. I did find a kefir that is made from coconut milk. OMG, it is delish! Tastes great in smoothies, yumm!

Actually, I'm having an affair with coconut products lately. The ice creams are so smooth and creamy......the cookie dough is awesome!

What brand is the kefir? I like Lifeway but it is cow milk and it does still gross me out (I may go back to being vegan again, lol).
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

What brand is the kefir? I like Lifeway but it is cow milk and it does still gross me out (I may go back to being vegan again, lol).

So Delicious Coconut Milk Kefir

Only 100 cals per cup, but 0 protien.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I haven't seen that anywhere...guess I'll have to check Whole Foods this weekend (I'm usually able to get all my veg stuff at my local store). I wish it had protein...but I'll make that up somewhere else. Thank you!

I haven't seen it anywhere...guess I'll make a trip to Whole Foods this weekend. Thank you!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I haven't seen that anywhere...guess I'll have to check Whole Foods this weekend (I'm usually able to get all my veg stuff at my local store). I wish it had protein...but I'll make that up somewhere else. Thank you!

I haven't seen it anywhere...guess I'll make a trip to Whole Foods this weekend. Thank you!

I bought it at Whole Foods. I wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't been talking to an employee there. She raved about it and I just figured I'd try it. Glad I did!
    I'm looking for a good protien powder to use in our smooties to make up for it. I haven't found one yet, but I haven't looked very hard either. I did check out Vega at Whole Foods, but it was a little out of my price range.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up! Sorry milk lovers... I have been a milk lover my whole life up until recently when I heard about blood and pus being in all cow milk (even organic)

"Milk approved by the USDA meets allowable somatic cell counts (essentially an allowable level of blood & pus that determines the quality of the milk), so yes there is blood & pus in milk."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatic_cell_count

I still drink milk but not as much as before.. I just try not to think about it!

As an ex-dairy farmer, i can assure you that the numbers are so low there's absolutely no need to worry about it, not to mention that that is what pasteurisation deals with.

Somatic cells are NOT blood and pus, I don't know who told you that, but it's wrong. They are white blood cells produced in the udder in response to an infection. Kind of like how histamine is produced in response to an allergic reaction. They are both produced in order to FIGHT the infection/aggravate.
    Think of somatic cells as a body's natural antibiotic.

A high cell count is an indicator of a bacterial infection, but they are not the bacteria.

I hope that helps ease your mind some!
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I drink this stuff: http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Alpina-Finesse--0--Fat-Oatmeal-Drink/000080091

It is basically skim milk mixed with some oatmeal.. Pretty good as I hate the taste of plain milk!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up! Sorry milk lovers... I have been a milk lover my whole life up until recently when I heard about blood and pus being in all cow milk (even organic)

"Milk approved by the USDA meets allowable somatic cell counts (essentially an allowable level of blood & pus that determines the quality of the milk), so yes there is blood & pus in milk."

I still drink milk but not as much as before.. I just try not to think about it!

As an ex-dairy farmer, i can assure you that the numbers are so low there's absolutely no need to worry about it, not to mention that that is what pasteurisation deals with.

Somatic cells are NOT blood and pus, I don't know who told you that, but it's wrong. They are white blood cells produced in the udder in response to an infection. Kind of like how histamine is produced in response to an allergic reaction. They are both produced in order to FIGHT the infection/aggravate.

A high cell count is an indicator of a bacterial infection, but they are not the bacteria.

That does ease my mind.. thank you. I heard this in a documentary called "go further" that Woody Harrelson is in.
  • benniakka
    benniakka Posts: 4
    Options
    organic, unsweetened almond milk and soy milk for me. some brands are better/milder than others, you just gotta feel it out and see what works best for you. I like silk, because it's thicker and milder than all the others I've tried.

I'm slightly allergic to milk- it makes my throat hurt, but mostly I avoid dairy because of the sugar - and fat too, because it's hardly worth having if it's fat free. might as well put water in your cereal. :P
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think Dr Oz is speaking about trans fat, not saturated fat.

Jim
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gmnidrm
    Gmnidrm Posts: 7
    Options
    I have NEVER been a big milk drinker but I have discovered all the wonderful beneifits of Coconut and I love that Coconut Milk is ava as a beverage. I love reg and vanilla. So Delicious brand.
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options

That does ease my mind.. thank you. I heard this in a documentary called "go further" that Woody Harrelson is in.

How could that ease your mind? The cow still has an infection.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i drink almond milk. usually the unsweetened kind and occasionally the dark chocolate almond. i will drink milk on occasion but prefer the almond.