STRETCH MARKS

Options
124»

Replies

• teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Ive had stretch marks on my tummy since I was 12. I grew fast and gained a lot of weight during puberty. This was a few weeks ago, as you can see I carry almost all my excess weight in my mid section.

154 pounds
    8dd6be32-4179-4336-9d23-8c27fc65b607.jpg

I dont have any skin befores, but I will add this just so you can see how I carried the weight then.

228ish
    158.jpg

My tummy (and the ugly stretch marks) are my biggest trouble area.

You look GREAT!!

Yes. Very good job.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Is there some tips how to prevent them? I'm starting to loose weight and I'm using body lotion every evening, and sometimes dietary supplement that contains extra collagen, what else?
    U can't prevent thm. They're genetic

Scars are genetic? Did you hear that from Dr. Oz?

Actually, in this case, they can be. Genetic coding affects all proteins in the body, collagen being one of those proteins. Certain genetic blips affect the production of collagen and elastin and you can have skin that is exceptionally prone to stretchmarks as a result. It's actually one of the criteria for diagnosis of Marfans Syndrome or Ehlers Danos Syndrome. Which is often characterised by hypermobile joints, depending upon the variant, eye problems, limb and digit length and elasticity of skin. As this can extend to the valves of the heart too, making aortic rupture a possibility, it's actually quite important to know this.

So, despite Oz's obvious quackery, in the context that he's probably seen a few fit and healthy young adults die as a result of the same problem, if he's made comments about this aspect, he might Actually be going back to the science for a change.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes, you CAN PREVENT them! Cocoa oil! Not cocoa butter. Moisturize! I have a good friend who applied cocoa oil every night from the moment she got pregnant until 1 year after the baby was born. Her mother and sister both got stretch marks, but she did not. :)

Once you have them though, they do not go away, continue to moisturize to prevent more, and don't worry about it too much.

She probably didn't prevent them. Most likely she was never gonna get them to begin with.

TRUE.

I did the whole cocoa butter/oil thing with my first child.. waste of time/money because I ended up getting stretch marks in the exact same places as my mother. I was meant to get them.

Yep. The mother and sisters thing isn't fool proof either. I got the other end of that, since neither of my sisters or my mother got any stretch marks, and I got some from puberty, and even more from delivering a nine-pounder. I would guess that I got that particular genetic predisposition from one of my grandmothers. That being said, I've come to accept them as part of who I am. (Oh, and I mosturized every day through my first pregnancy, and got a ton, 3 subsequent pregnancies, I didn't bother, but didn't get any more - those babies were smaller!)
  • Stevo_89
    Stevo_89 Posts: 19
    Options
    Mine are shocking :( (and so is that gut, but I'm working on that!)

20130504_175014.jpg

When you have finished losing the weight, do they look more...loose? If I push up against them, they look like they come out more and look thicker, or maybe I'm paranoid, I'm just wondering if they look worse? I need to get some cream.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!