Eating healthy turned me into a food snob

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed when people stare at me eating my 2 donuts and bagel in the morning. :grumble: :grumble:
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't look at other peoples baskets, nor do I judge what other people eat.

But what I have noticed is how pleased I feel with myself when I go to the checkout and look at all the lovely healthy food I have chosen. I feel pleased I made the right choices. The same when I eat out, I feel pleased with myself for the choices I make... NEVER judge someone for the choices they make.
    I think this is a great mindset to have. I've felt this way when I look in my bags after shopping and see all the produce I'm going to enjoy, and I'll try to embrace this feeling more. Thanks for your reply.
    I'll admit, I get judgey in the grocery store.

The other day, I was shopping and couldn't help but notice a couple who were both extremely overweight. The entire bottom shelf of their cart was 24 packs of Mountain Dew, root beer, and cherry Coke. A quick glance into their cart and I saw capri suns, Hungry Man frozen dinners, chips, and hamburger helper.

Honestly, it made me sad and I wanted so badly to help them. I'd never ever hand out unsolicited advice, especially to a stranger, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it for a split second.

I think my feelings can turn into some concern too. I think it's a mix between "I can't believe you're eating that" and "Let me show you 'the way'..." But I would be totally put off if someone ever confronted me about what I was eating and don't take uninvited advice either (Like I said in a previous post, I guess i'm a hypocrite.) When it comes down to it, being notified you are eating healthy by someone isn't all that different of being notified you are eating unhealthy. It's like "yeah, thanks for noticing that I can choose whatever goes into my body".
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have almost the opposite problem. From time to time, I'll have a day off (but never going above maintenance cals too much), or I'll work some desserts into my cals ... and then I catch myself worrying what other people will think when they see me enjoying a cookie or that slice of chocolate cake ^_^;;; Like "How can she claim to be eating healthy?? Look at her scarfing down that cookie!" ...

I worry the same thing, too! But then I remember, I really don't care WHAT people think. I go by the 80/20 rule and it's worked out so well. Yes, sometimes I wonder how people can put crap into their body but I'm not so ignorant as to forget that I have done the same during various points in my life and just hadn't reached the point in my path when I wanted better for myself.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I get judgey in the grocery store.

The other day, I was shopping and couldn't help but notice a couple who were both extremely overweight. The entire bottom shelf of their cart was 24 packs of Mountain Dew, root beer, and cherry Coke. A quick glance into their cart and I saw capri suns, Hungry Man frozen dinners, chips, and hamburger helper.

Honestly, it made me sad and I wanted so badly to help them. I'd never ever hand out unsolicited advice, especially to a stranger, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it for a split second.

THIS^^^ I see people with shopping carts FULL of crap and it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. It makes me mad at society, in a way, too. That it's come to this. That we can buy shopping carts full of crap food with high calories, no nutritional value for a cheap price. It's ruining our health, our bodies, our spirits. Sad. :(
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I notice it, but I never say anything! That would be rude. What really gets me is when we go out to a restaurant and see what people (mostly obese) order, then eat. OMG> First comes the greasy appetizer, then their meal with tons of fries and dripping, nasty cheese, other fried crap and then they order dessert.

Oh, yeah. DS and I used to go to a decent chain restaurant buffet (Cinzano's) which was populated by a lot of obese customers. We eventually quit going because it was overpriced for what we ate. When he was in HS he liked Denny's. That place is scary. I kept worrying that if I ate there I'd weigh 300 lbs, too.

And no, I've never said anything while inside one of those restaurants, stared, or glared. I know from reading some of the posts here how much some people struggle with overeating. There but for the grace of God go I.
  • jeanababy2
    Options
    I think we all tend to do that when eating healthy.... Not because we are 'snobs" about food or what not.... I think because we may without knowing it or thinking about it care more about what are family and friends eat... I have to catch myself when I see my brother eating a HUGE plate of something and then smother it in cheese or salt I will be like " you know that's like X amount of cal that you don't need"
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    That's so ridiculous. Not eating a piece of cake or an oreo cookie doesn't make you better than someone else. Why does it matter what someone else puts into their body anyways? It's not really any of your business, worry about yourself. Maybe that's all the person had to eat that day, maybe they had a bad day and were emotionally eating (which everyone has done at one point), maybe they just wanted to eat those things because they were craving it.

It's stupid to feel superior to someone because you are eating "healthier" than them. It doesn't make you look superior, it makes you look like an a**.

This. I personally would find any of these "food snob/etlists" very annoying. Just because *I* want to eat healthy doesn't mean I have to be a snob about it. People's health is their own business. If I see a man eating 5 hamburgers, I probably don't think that what he's doing is a wise choice, but then again ... it's his own business.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one ! I hate being this way as well its not pleasant. For some reason I just feel so much more healthier and good about myself when I compare my eating habits to others.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Anyways, keep control of yourself and try to remind yourself whenever you feel yourself looking down on someone for their choices that you were there once, and that they just haven't had their moment. You can't change them, and you can't make them see the "light". As long as they don't affect you, try to keep your head straight :)

I know! You have made it there, so why haven't they? It's so obvious after all. Surely they won't mind a gentle push in the right direction from a fellow country man. Nothing wrong about being a little helpful, lol.

The restaurant setting lends itself particularly easily to staring. People holding a fork like they're going to stab someone may catch my eye. I don't stare hoping they'll see the light, no it's trying to grasp why they do it. Sooner or later of course something snaps me out of my trance, and life goes on.

The writings of Emily Post, the late etiquette guru, can be highly entertaining by the way. In 1928 she claimed that "to 'zigzag' the fork from left hand to right hand at nearly every mouthful is a ridiculous practice of the would-be elegant that is never seen in best society." Would you call her a snob?

Why do people stuff themselves with unhealthy food beyond imagination? Resting their elbows on the table top, their slouching arms shielding the plate, their eyes flickering, why do they willingly endure such discomfort holding their utensils, and why would they rather dip a hand than a knife in their food?

People pack it away when they are tired and cold. Their posture gives it away. They don't eat what's healthy, they go for what's most and what's safe. They rely on how they were brought up and cherish that place in life, and in good times as bad they stick to those conventions. In a way they too are snobs!

Thomas Fairchild (the household chauffeur): I like to think of life as a limousine. Though we are all riding together, we must remember our places. There's a front seat and a back seat and a window in between.
    Linus Larrabee (son of this wealthy family): Fairchild, I never realized it before, but you're a terrible snob.
    Thomas Fairchild: Yes, sir.
    -Sabrina (1954)
  • ArielWillowtree
    Options
    hmm

I can relate to what you're saying, but most of all when I see people eating this way it makes me sad.

I get frustrated with it has become societal norm to eat what is essentially garbage. You shouldn't be labelled as a hippie/ health freak/ weirdo just because you care about what goes into your body. And I get frustrated with the sheer lack of knowledge that the general public has on nutrition. I die a little bit inside every time I see someone drinking a diet soda, thinking they are making a good choice. I wish I could help..
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Every since I started eating primal, I have a bad habit of being judgey when I grocery shop. I ALWAYS look at other people's buggy and judge. My fiance does the same. I'm judgmental towards the people who buy crap but I also feel sorry for them. The majority of them are extremely overweight and probably have no clue about what they should really be eating. Most of them are probably people who think eating healthy has to be expensive. So I do feel sympathy but I also get frustrated. & OMG if i see moms buying all kinds of crap, I get sorta angry that they'd feed their kids that. It's a bad habit that I'm working on. :/
  • rosiesmama
    rosiesmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it shows that you've learned a lot about nutrition and healthy self-care. Jealous? Hell yeah! I fight the urge to eat a donut pretty much constantly. But the harder I work at taking care of myself, the easier it gets. Like, do I really want to waste my precious caloric intake on junk food? Especially now that I'm exercising consistently. I have a greater awareness of what I put into my body. Judgmental? Hard not to be. Imagine a world where everyone regarded their body as the greatest, most valuable possession they have. It kind of breaks my heart, too, when I see people with carts full of sugar and grease. I have to think they're not very happy.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    That's so ridiculous. Not eating a piece of cake or an oreo cookie doesn't make you better than someone else. Why does it matter what someone else puts into their body anyways? It's not really any of your business, worry about yourself. Maybe that's all the person had to eat that day, maybe they had a bad day and were emotionally eating (which everyone has done at one point), maybe they just wanted to eat those things because they were craving it.

It's stupid to feel superior to someone because you are eating "healthier" than them. It doesn't make you look superior, it makes you look like an a**.

I think you missed her point....:huh:

I'm surprised by how many people have had such a negative reaction to this topic and clearly, like you've said, missed the point. The purpose of this topic was not to gather all the healthiest people in the world and brag about how great we are since we eat the healthiest food and talk about how others are below us since they eat *gasp* DONUTS. (This was sarcasm for those of you who obviously don't understand it. :) )

Let me break it down for some of you.

In my first point I stated that

1. I was just wondering if anybody was experiencing a similar feeling (a lot of you are. I was genuinely just curious if it was a personality quirk of mine or a side effect that some people experienced. Literally the only information I hoped to gain by posting this topic.)

and admitted both that

2. I am aware that "I know it's none of my business" (A direct quote... did you negative nancys even read my whole post) and "I want to be accepting of whatever people want to do" (So thanks for telling me what I already know)

and 3. I may just be jealous. Changing the way I eat makes me realize that I won't be able to eat whatever I want like I used to years ago. Seeing other people be so carefree, I wish I was them, oblivious to what I was doing.

Also, I think it's quite ironic that multiple people have told me to "get over yourself" and to "get off your high horse" because I'm not superior to them. Which I never stated I was, just that it was a feeling I got while eating. Like "my meal is better than yours", not "I am so much better than you as a person and above you because I shop at whole foods" (that's ridiculous lol I would not say that.) You, in turn, seem to be judging me for judging others, which just puts you in the same place.
    I thought the rude comments were unnecessary, but I wasn't surprised to receive them.

Thank you to those who offered support, it is nice to hear your experiences.

But who doesn't like OREOS???? Please don't assume that I never indulge and am strictly all healthy food all the time. Yesterday I ate two cookies, the day before I got an ice cream cone, you get it. (Now somebody is going to call me a hypocrite, just watch...)

I hope i didn't offend you! I was trying to offer support and my own experience, I hope my advice about what I do in those situations didn't seem mean or pointing out the obvious :(

PS: I like to indulge sometimes too :P no shame admitting it!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    *In case you don't know what poutine is (and there's nothing wrong with that): a generous bowl of French Fries, topped with succulent fatty gravy, and white cheddar cheese curds.

There was a time oh about two years ago, maybe three that would have made me drool and I would have tried it. Just reading that a little while ago made me throw up a little in my mouth.

That being said. I don't judge people for what they eat. I do feel sad about how I was eating for the last couple of decades and I am doing my best to change that. But, I do wish more people would eat healthier because what other people eat effects what is available for me to get in the store. For example if people would load up more on real food and skip the processed foods more then processed foods wouldn't be as readily available and it would be easier to find real food at the grocery store. As it is I have to make a trip clear across town to get some of my staples because they just aren't available at my neighborhood market.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm only a food snob when it comes to what I eat.

I really don't care or judge what others buy & eat. I do sometimes notice that my foods are healthier when in line at the grocery store but that just makes me feel good about my own choices.

Honestly, I don't usually notice others anymore unless I'm in a long line. I do recall I used to notice more when I'd just started eating healthy. I was so proud of all my healthy foods & could not resist comparing with what others were buying.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    *In case you don't know what poutine is (and there's nothing wrong with that): a generous bowl of French Fries, topped with succulent fatty gravy, and white cheddar cheese curds.

There was a time oh about two years ago, maybe three that would have made me drool and I would have tried it. Just reading that a little while ago made me throw up a little in my mouth.

That being said. I don't judge people for what they eat. I do feel sad about how I was eating for the last couple of decades and I am doing my best to change that. But, I do wish more people would eat healthier because what other people eat effects what is available for me to get in the store. For example if people would load up more on real food and skip the processed foods more then processed foods wouldn't be as readily available and it would be easier to find real food at the grocery store. As it is I have to make a trip clear across town to get some of my staples because they just aren't available at my neighborhood market.

another definition of it can also be found under the word "heaven" in the dictionary. IN MODERATION! not that the nutrition facts and ingredients don't put me off, but remembering the days when I didn't care about that stuff and ate it was nice.. for a few seconds :P lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    It's funny when people who are overweight ask me about the way I eat and when I mention that I skip breakfast, eat fast food once a week, eat ice cream and chips, etc. (I follow IIFYM eating) they have this look of shock on their face because they think I probably eat very "clean".
    While it is important to reduce junk food (since it's usually the demise for most overweight people), I know many people who become food snobs once they believe that their eating becomes superior to how others eat.
    But if they are silent about it, it doesn't bother me. It's when they start trying to "educate" you on your food choices.
    IMO, I do believe that some have jealousy that some people can eat much worse then them, yet look better and be in better health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I hope i didn't offend you! I was trying to offer support and my own experience, I hope my advice about what I do in those situations didn't seem mean or pointing out the obvious :(

PS: I like to indulge sometimes too :P no shame admitting it!

Not at all, I appreciate your comments and can totally relate. I like how you worded it as "seeing the light". A lot of people have said how they feel more concerned than judgemental. I realize now that I probably feel this too, it just get's hidden behind all my negative energy.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I used to be this way too! I was able to snap myself out of it though, because I discovered that not only was I still able to lose weight and feel awesome and have great doctor visits by eating *mostly* clean and fitting in other things as well (IIFYM), that I am also better at fending off cravings and more apt to stick to a calorie deficit in the long run doing it. So I've definitely eased off a bit, and that means that I am no longer as "food snobbish" as I once was a couple of years ago.

I used to get on to all my friends who would go eat at fast food places, but now, I just don't care. I mean, as long as it is not an all the time thing, there's no reason to avoid what I like to eat! It used to be my goal to go entire months or years without eating Taco Bell or Jack in the Box, but now I no longer feel that way because I have found ways to let them fit my calorie and macro goals. So my attitude is different about other people doing it. And my social life is a little easier, lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream snob...does that count?

Oh, and I eat donuts and such on purpose sometimes as I want the carbs before I go to lift weights.