Early morning workouts--do you eat before?

Options
RM10003
RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
I normally exercise in the afternoon or evening, but there's a new 7am interval class at my gym that fits nicely into my schedule.
I tried it for the first time today and liked the class but was exhausted all day long, rather than being energized.
Now some of that may just be since I'm new to interval training as well, but I did do the class on a completely empty stomach, and with no coffee (I'm a coffee junkie, but I'm afraid of getting acid stomach before a workout), so I'm wondering if that's the cause.

For those who normally do early morning workouts, do you eat something before hand? I could certainly scarf down a Larabar or something on the way to the gym. I think I'd rather save the full breakfast until after I get to the office, though.

Replies

• cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I workout early in the morning, I usually have a fruit smoothie and add in some protein powder before my workout. I'm sure there's "study" or literature out there that someone will quote, but for me it's just about keeping my blood sugar up (and obviously it will be lower in the morning after not having eaten all night) and having enough energy to get through the workout in the early hours. After my workout, I have a good breakfast and my morning coffee!! :)
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I workout at home about 6am & I dont eat I drink water but not eat too early for me. But when I use to be with the gym they suggest you eat something - nutritious pre-workout meal but you must exercise 2hrs after or if you feel like you cant work out on large volume of food early in the morning you can have a glass of orange juice or sport drink with carbs instead.
    I also find if I had an early dinner my body needs something before working out in the morning to support my energy level :) Good luck
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before early morning workouts. I need my coffee before hand though, helps curb the hunger, open the airways (I have asthma) and helps my energy levels.
  • justcallmerob
    justcallmerob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the morning I usually eat a piece of fruit (banana, apple, etc...) about 15-20min before I work out. If nothing else at least have some water. If I dont put something in my system, my workout is over quick.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Whether or not to eat before is a completely personal choice. I work out first thing in the morning and I do it without eating anything, but I'm conditioned for it at this point. If you feel like you don't have the energy then eat something that won't weigh you down during the actual workout. One thing I used to do if I had a really hard workout in the am is have 2 tablespoons of honey or 2 cups of choc milk before leaving the house.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I always try to eat a small meal before any workout. Some almonds, fruit, protein supplement, anything along those lines. I just hate working out hungry. I have more energy and focus this way.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I wake up, eat breakfast, play on facebook or read for 20-30 minutes, then exercise.
  • Teri0329
    Teri0329 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm at the gym between 6:30 and 7:00 a.m. - so no eating before hand. 2 cups of coffee and off to the gym. I eat after I'm done. The coffee gives me the get up and go that I need to get my work out done and out of the way!
  • juliana813
    juliana813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually have something small like cottage cheese or an egg or a piece of fruit and then have a real (second) breakfast when i'm done :-) but i only go running from about 6:25 to 7 in the morning. I guess just try different things and see what works? :-)
  • Heather0123456789
    Options
    You should do what works best for you and how your body feels. Everybody is different and I'm sure there is a ton of info out there of how to do it all the "right" way ;). Personally, when I work out early in the morning, I don't eat or drink anything.....way too early...but I do take a bottle of water or sometimes a protein shake for after. Then......it's cofffeeeeee time ;)
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Wow! If I drank coffee before I went to exercise...I would spend my entire workout time in the bathroom! I've done both...eaten breakfast before...and exercised on an empty stomach. Didn't bother me either way. It really does depend on how you feel.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I have to eat before I do anything or I get sick
  • heathersherrell1
    Options
    I normally exercise in the afternoon or evening, but there's a new 7am interval class at my gym that fits nicely into my schedule.
    I tried it for the first time today and liked the class but was exhausted all day long, rather than being energized.
    Now some of that may just be since I'm new to interval training as well, but I did do the class on a completely empty stomach, and with no coffee (I'm a coffee junkie, but I'm afraid of getting acid stomach before a workout), so I'm wondering if that's the cause.

For those who normally do early morning workouts, do you eat something before hand? I could certainly scarf down a Larabar or something on the way to the gym. I think I'd rather save the full breakfast until after I get to the office, though.

In my experience, when I am doing a morning workout, which I do 6 days a week, I *need* something before hand. Even if it's just a protein drink (I love Syntrax--I should get paid for how much I promote them!). I need something to give me energy for the workout itself and to keep me going through the day. Something light (the protein drink, which only has 90 calories, no fat, carbs, or sugar, and 23+ grams of protein--see why I love it??) or a Larabar or a scrambled egg... for a while, when I first started a few months ago, I would eat a banana and a slice of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter. And then I'd go work my tail off. Now, a bowl of Kashi GoLean or something light will do the trick. Make sure you give yourself 20-30 minutes to digest before your workout, though, especially if it's a high intensity workout. When I don't eat beforehand, I'm useless the rest of the day. Everyone is different, though, so you'll probably get a different response from everyone. If you want to try eating before the class, stick to something about 100-150 calories and low-carb. See how you feel afterward and the rest of the day. It's probably going to be trial and error for a while. Good luck!
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a bagel or an english muffin with my coffee in the morning (finally got myself used to eating breakfast again after years of not doing so), do my workout around 7am, then eat a banana or some oatmeal when I get into the office.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Dunkin's XL hot coffee and a banana every day, about an hour before a run.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before I exercise in the morning, I'll throw up. I wait until I get back home.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4.45am to exercise, if I was to eat before hand I don' think I could handle waking up at 4.15! I'd say go with whatever works best for you.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Iv found if I exercise in the AM with an empty stomach I get very low blood pressure for the day and feel terrible and weak and end up eating more to feel human again. So im starting to work out in the evenings when the kids are in bed so I can avoid that feeling
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't eat first, but then I don't like to eat early in the morning anyway so my body isn't used to it. I guess just experiment and see what makes you feel best.

My morning schedule is tight so I'm out of the door to run within 5 minutes of waking up, I'd struggle to find the time anyway.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of a rough time exercising (or really doing very much at all) on an empty stomach a while back, but I got used to it very quickly and now I don't even notice the difference. I'm on 16/8 IF and work a fairly physical job; I start work at 7 and don't eat until noon. On my days off, I usually hit the gym in the morning before my first meal. As I said, it took some acclimation, but it's not so bad.