Early morning workouts--do you eat before?

Options

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and am at the gym for 5.20am - only take in water before and during a pretty intense workout but do eat within half an hour of getting home.

I have always performed better on an empty stomach. However I do run faster and stronger around 4pm - mid way between lunch and evening meal than I do first thing!

Everybody is different and I think you need to do what works for you!

But full marks for joining the mad crowd at early morning gyms around the world!!x
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I used to eat before my early morning workouts. Now I just have a glass of water and then I'm out the door by 6am. I eat after my workout at 7:30. I think it's personal preference and whatever works best for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before early morning workouts. I need my coffee before hand though, helps curb the hunger, open the airways (I have asthma) and helps my energy levels.

this.

At best I'll shovel a spoonful of plain yogurt in my mouth to keep me from getting nauseated.

But otherwise no- I don't eat.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym around 6am and for me I take my preworkout on an empty stomach and i seem to do good...Have also tried a shake before hand...felt about the same with both.

Just try different things and listen to your body.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tried not eating before a work out once - never again! Didn't even push myself but felt sick and faint and had to lay down with my feet above my head - seriously, I'd have blacked out otherwsie. Good job I was at home and not in the gym! My body does not like doing anything without a meal in it. I would never eat directly before exercising but got to have something about an hour before. I'm a Bran Flakes and a banana and/or protein shake fan.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I workout every morning during the week around 5:30, and don't eat breakfast until around 11-12. I don't have the time to eat before hand (I have to be at work at 7), and I'm generally just not hungry. I do drink a bottle of water before, and I drink a lot of water at work after. Sometimes the tired feeling can be from dehydration.

However, every person is different, so you will need to experiment to find what works for you. I know a lot of people that NEED something to eat before the morning workout. Usually something small with carbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I tried not eating before a work out once - never again! Didn't even push myself but felt sick and faint and had to lay down with my feet above my head - seriously, I'd have blacked out otherwsie. Good job I was at home and not in the gym! My body does not like doing anything without a meal in it. I would never eat directly before exercising but got to have something about an hour before. I'm a Bran Flakes and a banana and/or protein shake fan.

honestly that goes away after you do it for a week or so- your body would adjust.

I personally don't LIKE having to deal with it- so I typically don't- but you can work around it and through it (week wise) and make it a habit- IF you want.

Like I said- it's not needed- but if you're scheduled suits an AM morning best- don't get put off by some discomfort right off the bat- like everything else we do- it takes the body a minute to catch up with the program.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    This has definitely been a trial-and-error thing for me since I started working out in the mornings in July. Before that I ALWAYS worked out at night after work (before dinner).

I'm training for a half marathon so I'm basically just running, but I found that if I'm running 5 miles or less (which is the longest my mid-week runs get) I don't need to eat anything. I just have some water and head out the door and then eat breakfast after showering. I found that as my long runs got longer on the weekends, I would totally tank around mile 6, so anything 6+ miles I'll get up extra early (or just go out later depending on how hot it is outside) and have half of an english muffin with jam. I tried a whole english muffin and I tried putting peanut butter on it and got major stomach cramps both times. Also got cramps with oatmeal or fruit (too much fiber I think). Half of one with jam is the perfect amount of cals and carbs to give me energy to make it through my long runs without cramps.

Is your class an hour long? If it is, I think I would need a little something to bring up my blood sugar so I don't tank in the middle of class but not enough to give me stomach cramps. Also, going from nights to mornings does take a little adjustment for your body so as you get used to it, your nutrition needs could change. Just keep experimenting and see what works for ya. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I didn't used to eat anything but now, almost three years into my 630 am workouts, I drink a large protein shake on my way out of the door.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I eat about 70-180 calories in the form of a hard boiled egg or protein bar. I found my workout to be much easier for early morning.
  • dancegirl0316
    Options
    Always. I'm hungry. I usually have an egg stir-fried with some veggies or toast with nut butter or a fruit protein shake. You don't want to feel bloated obviously but a little snack as soon as you wake could help you keep your energy levels high so that you get in an intense workout.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a morning workout because I get queasy. I think it's whatever your body requires.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I do anything or I get sick

Yep, this is me. I just started with a trainer last week and he pushes me hard! I only ate some Sunbutter on a piece of toast about an hour before and nearly passed out after 30 minutes with him. Thought I was going to throw up for about 15 minutes. He recommended a balanced meal (carbs, protein, maybe some berries) at least 30 minutes before. This morning I made it through 40 minutes (as scheduled) without any issues. You're body needs something to burn!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5 am, have an iced coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil as I get ready for the gym and am on the elliptical for my cardio at 5:30 am. I am bit of an odd duck as I prefer and do better if I get my 30 minutes of cardio in BEFORE I weight train.

5 minutes into my cardio, I feel a pleasant, warm rush as my body heats up from the inside out, fueling my workout. My muscles warm up faster, I feel more limber and I can push myself farther than I normally would. After my cardio and weights, I go home, drink a small protein drink for muscle recovery and get ready for work. I typically make coffee each morning to take to work but always make a little extra which goes into the fridge for my iced coffee the following morning. I don't eat until mid-morning.

I thought the coffee before a workout would make me spend my time in the bathroom, considering I have ulcerative colitis (in relative remission though) but I was pleasantly surprised that it doesn't do that. The exercise blocks that bathroom signal ... of course, the moment I get home from the gym is a different story ...
  • phoenixrizez
    phoenixrizez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just drink a bottle of COLD water. It helps wake me up (I workout generally around 5am) and keeps me from feeling sluggish
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat either a stick of string cheese or some Almonds just so I'm not starving towards the end of my work out.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    For early morning high-intensity work, like intervals, what I've found is that when I first started out, not in very good shape, I could get by without eating until after. As I got stronger and fitter, and consequently the amount of work I did in a session climbed, I started having problems like you describe. The solution for me in that situation is to take an energy gel of some sort (I prefer GU Labs) a few minutes before the workout starts and then keep another one handy for the midway point. You need carbs to get through those kinds of sessions and gels are designed for just that kind of scenario. Most of the time gel packets are about 100 calories. You may or may not need the second one. I'd try with just one before the workout and see how it goes. If you still feel wasted afterwards, try the second one midway through and see how that does. I also strongly recommend eating something substantial to replenish and start rebuilding immediately after the workout.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I always eat a breakfast before I head off to the gym otherwise I don't have the energy or strength to do my workout. But, if I was doing yoga or pilates, I would be eating afterwards.
  • KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat before a work out - think of the "Body for Life" program that was so popular many years ago. But lately I have been feeling not quite 100%, and I have read many articles that are pro and anti-eating pre-workout, and so far, the pro-eating has made more sense to me.

My routine is up at 4:45, have a coffee and a small greek yogurt, and then off to workout at 5:30. It's made a difference in workouts, and if I wait at least 30 minutes post-eating, i don't get queasy - at least not from lack of food - sometimes from pushing myself hard :)

But it is definately a matter of personal taste/what works for you. I found it made a difference when I kicked my workouts up a level. I do HIIT three days a week, cardio twice a week, and good yoga /stretch workout once a week.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4am and always eat a full breakfast right before I go out (scrambled eggs, bagel and coffee). My weekday morning run is anywhere from 15-20 km so I like to make sure I've got enough fuel to last until I'm done. For my weekend long runs I eat before, during and after :laugh: