high protein = high fat !

Options
menojy
menojy Posts: 92 Member
whenever I try to increase my protein intake, my fat intake rises as well ! when I eat fish, meat, eggs fat percentage gets out of control ...
how can I increase my protein intake up to 30% while keeping fat intake below 25% ?

and what's a healthy ratio anyways ? is it bad if my diet is high in fats ?

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Eat lean meat and don't add butter, oil, etc, to it when cooking.

An egg is a great thing. But have it boiled or poached, not fried or served on buttered toast.

Steak is great. Don't have sauce with it, use a spice rub instead.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    What percentages are you trying to reach? I have my fat intake at 35% and my protein at 25% but I'm in maintenance. And I frequently go over in both categories. I do better when I pay the closest attention to not having too many carbs and getting enough protein. The fats usually sort themselves out.

Just make sure you are eating healthy fats (avocado, nuts, monounsaturated, meat (grass fed is best) and dairy). As long as it's not a lot of added fat from processing, you should be fine at 25% or even higher.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Are you going over? And are you going over on MFP's default? If you join the eat train progress group, there is a sticky that goes into finding what your macros should be set at. Mine is 40/30/30.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, chicken breast, Tilapia, turkey Breast, ground chicken and turkey....
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I have the same problem, because although I like a little bit of lean meat - I much prefer nuts and dairy products.

As she said, cut back on the extra fat (especially sauces) that you add to your food whenever you can.

I do well if I can keep my protein high and my CARBS LOW, even if it does sometimes push my fat percentage up a bit. Everyone's different, but you might want to try focusing on those two and not worrying too much about fat for a few days, see how you feel and check the scale.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I met with a nutritionist on Monday who wanted me to be at about 1500 calories and 110-120 grams of protein. She had another way she wanted me to track, but it wasn't working so I came back to MFP. My favorite sources are canned tuna, nonfat greek yogurt, and boneless skinless chicken breast.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese, low fat greek yogurt, low fat milk, high protien granolas
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    whenever I try to increase my protein intake, my fat intake rises as well ! when I eat fish, meat, eggs fat percentage gets out of control ...
    how can I increase my protein intake up to 30% while keeping fat intake below 25% ?

and what's a healthy ratio anyways ? is it bad if my diet is high in fats ?

there is very little fat in fish, and if you eat lean cuts of meat, also very little fat.

I'm kind of confused.

also, those are good fats. my diet is 55% fat, and it doesn't seem to be doing all too badly for me. ;)
  • djrn144
    djrn144 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am working with a doctor who says always choose low carb before low fat, i don't even count my fat just protein and carbs. It will sort itself out. Plus, you feel full quicker and don't eat as much, at least that's the theory!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarian proteins have no fat or very lttle fat.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I like beef jerky - it's pricey and has a high salt content, but definitely low-fat.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The guidlines on the site are MINIMUM protein and fat intake. Even if I'm way under in overall calories I'm usually over in fats and protein, which is fine with me. I pay no attention to carbs at all. I'm losing weight every weigh-in and I feel good.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Replace one of your protein serving with a low fat protein shake.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me! In the am, I replaced butter on my English muffin with a slice do low fat ham. Greek yogurt fat free is great for protein. I resort to protein bars or powders a few times per week. I shoot for 50c/25f/25p. I shed go higher on my protein because I lift, but can't seem to get there right now.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese, low fat greek yogurt, low fat milk, high protien granolas

Fats aren't bad - when the industry makes something low fat, they almost always add sugars and other crap carbs to make the foods palatable. Granola is not good, look at the ingredients. Greek yogurt with "fruits" are so much added sugars! Protein bars are not great either since they too are added sugars and carbs, although they are better than candy.

Lean proteins - meats, FISH, eggs, some cheese - it's all good for you and if you are lifting heavy weights you should eat at least 1gm of lean protein for every pound of lean body weight. I actually shoot for 150gm of protein each day.

ETA: You don't have to follow MFP macros, you can customize them to suit your nutritional needs.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Ha, was going to suggest this. Planned out my food today and it comes to 114 grams of protein and just 35 grams of fat.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Fats aren't bad - when the industry makes something low fat, they almost always add sugars and other crap carbs to make the foods palatable. Granola is not good, look at the ingredients. Greek yogurt with "fruits" are so much added sugars! Protein bars are not great either since they too are added sugars and carbs, although they are better than candy.

Lean proteins - meats, FISH, eggs, some cheese - it's all good for you and if you are lifting heavy weights you should eat at least 1gm of lean protein for every pound of lean body weight. I actually shoot for 150gm of protein each day.

ETA: You don't have to follow MFP macros, you can customize them to suit your nutritional needs.

all of this.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For most people, it's better to have your fat percentage to be higher than your protein percentage. I do 20% protein and 35% fats. Proteins and fats should be treated as minimums, not maximums.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Ha, was going to suggest this. Planned out my food today and it comes to 114 grams of protein and just 35 grams of fat.

Hmm, when I think of vegetable proteins, I think of nuts and seeds, both of which are high in fats. What vegetable protein were you thinking of?
  • Labrae90
    Labrae90 Posts: 36
    Options
    Huh.....

I guess I'm confused. I looked over my journal and when I've upped my protein I have never gone over in my fats. But then I eat skinless/boneless chicken and don't add anything unless it is a mcormick seasoning which has no fat in it. I eat eggs, and even when I fry them I fry them in olive oil and once again just a little tiny bit of olive oil and never go over on my fat there either. I love tuna fish, and eat it all the time without the mayo or even with 1tbsp of mayo. I even eat lean hamburger meat.

I guess it depends on how you are making it?
    I notice when I upped my protein I started losing more also. High protein for me is good.

Hope you find a solution.