high protein = high fat !

Options

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Fats aren't bad - when the industry makes something low fat, they almost always add sugars and other crap carbs to make the foods palatable.

Yeah, you really need to read the labels. When I want yogurt, I start with a brand of nonfat that has only milk and yogurt cultures in the ingredients and then add what I want.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    .3g of fat per lb of body weight per day, minimum. If your ticker's right and you're about 180, that's ~500 calories from fat per day (each gram of fat is 9 calories). Not sure what your calorie goals are, but I'm guessing you need to have your fat macro set at 30 or 35%.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarian proteins have no fat or very lttle fat.

Ha, was going to suggest this. Planned out my food today and it comes to 114 grams of protein and just 35 grams of fat.
    What was the point you were making. For the same amount of protein if someone went with tilapia for example the fat would have been 10g's.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I agree - fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs make you fat.

(I think fat was unfairly demonized when commodity crop lobbyists (corn and wheat mostly) were building our food pyramid, which it turns out, is killing us with carbs.)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

So sorry. Wrong answer. Too much food makes you fat. Thanks for playing and being a good sport!
  • johnnisays
    Options
    Egg whites, chicken breast, Tilapia, turkey Breast, ground chicken and turkey....

what he said.
  • johnnisays
    Options

carbs make you fat? is that broscience?
    So sorry. Wrong answer. Too much food makes you fat. Thanks for playing and being a good sport!

haha im with this one
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

carbs make you fat? is that broscience?

haha im with this one

me too y'all are too fast
  • clannum
    clannum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are using the egg WHITES only instead of whole eggs...the yolks are majority fat while the whites are almost pure protein...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

This quite true.

While there are scientific studies that show that those with insulin-resistance - whether from diabetes, PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, metabolic-syndrome/obesity, etc. - are more likely to lose weight when cutting carbohydrates and upping fat, the results are due to several factors: We can't simply vilify one macronutrient:

1. Those with inulin-resistance are more-likely to 'crave' carbohydrate and thus eat excess calories from it. This most-commonly comes from spikes and drops in both glucose and insulin, stimulating hunger in the brain.

2. Reducing carbohydrate in the insulin-resistant results in weight-loss primarily due to a caloric-deficit due to 3 primary mechanisms:

* It reduces the cravings for carbohydrate mentioned in point 1, above resulting in lower intake;

* Fats and Proteins are both more satiating than carbohydrate, resulting in feeling full faster and longer, resulting in lower intake;

* Though small, there is a thermogenic effect of food - especially protein - that results in increased TDEE.

3. Insulin-resistant people who are placed on a reduced-carbohydrate diet often become more health-conscious. As such, they will often (either consciously or subconsciously) make wiser choices in regards to nutrition, exercise, and other lifestyle choices. Most will simply move more as a result of having less rapid drops in blood glucose (which causes a dramatic loss of energy). Most increase their TDEE through these lifestyle choices.

Even if you're obese and diabetic, eating high levels of carbohydrate alone will not make you fat - you still have to eat a caloric surplus.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    For most people, it's better to have your fat percentage to be higher than your protein percentage. I do 20% protein and 35% fats. Proteins and fats should be treated as minimums, not maximums.

Sorry that's just plain BS. Carbs should be minimums, especially the crap carbs that comes with over processed foods!

Eat clean, make your own, use organic and locally grown foods and you'll do fine.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I lost weight consistently with 30% protein, 30% carb, and 40% fat. I am now bulking on the same ratio. Animal fat is good for you and satiating. We evolved to eat it, and our brain is mostly fat. EAT IT! Most body builders suggest a 30p/40c/30f and these are very healthy people.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    For most people, it's better to have your fat percentage to be higher than your protein percentage. I do 20% protein and 35% fats. Proteins and fats should be treated as minimums, not maximums.

Sorry that's just plain BS. Carbs should be minimums, especially the crap carbs that comes with over processed foods!

Eat clean, make your own, use organic and locally grown foods and you'll do fine.

you're both wrong :flowerforyou:

Protein should be based on your LBM - about .7-1g/pound of lean body mass. This should stay CONSTANT

Fat can be whatever the hell you want it to be as long as it's not lower than 20%

Carbs can be whatever the hell you want it to be

For me this ends up being 25% carb, 55% fat, 20% protein
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not make you fat, and fat does not make you fat. On the other hand, carbs keep you full for the shortest amount of time, making it much harder to hit a calorie goal/deficit with a high percentage of carbs. Fat keeps you full for the longest amount of time, but you really need to watch intake because they are so dense. You can eat a lot of calories before the food has a chance to trip your "full" feeling if you eat quickly.

The only macro-nutrient to be proven to help with weight loss long term is protein, and the data even on that gets shaky once you surpass 1g per pound of lean body mass.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am working with a doctor who says always choose low carb before low fat, i don't even count my fat just protein and carbs. It will sort itself out. Plus, you feel full quicker and don't eat as much, at least that's the theory!

This. There are plenty of nonfat to very lowfat sources of protein, but what the studies are finding these days is that your enemy is refined carbs, not fats--especially the good fats like olive oil and oils from fish, nuts and avocados. I'll include a link to an interesting study; I just attended a seminar on this and similar studies. People who eat more proteins and fats, as opposed to more carbs, lose more weight and burn more calories--the equivalent, in this study, of more than 300 calories a day. Their metabolisms do a lot less slowing. I'm not talking about eating Atkins-like, I still have plenty of fruits and veggies in my life and a much smaller amount of whole grains. But the research says we have irrationally come to fear fat and it's actually a help in losing weight. I can't see your food diary, but if you sacrifice some carbs calories to increase your fat calories, you'll lose more weight and also feel a far higher level of satiety.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Protein should be based on your LBM - about .7-1g/pound of lean body mass. This should stay CONSTANT

Fat can be whatever the hell you want it to be as long as it's not lower than 20%

This generally correct, with the exception of those that for medical reasons should reduce either their carbohydrate intake (diabetes or insulin-resistance for whatever reason) or those that should reduce their fats (if they have cholecystitis, etc.)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't mind eating more fat along with more protein. However, foods like tuna, shrimp, and skinless chicken breast are extremely low in fat. A little research with a search engine will turn up plenty of very low fat sources of protein.

Nonfat dairy is high in protein too, but also adds to your carb intake.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

This generally correct, with the exception of those that for medical reasons should reduce either their carbohydrate intake (diabetes or insulin-resistance for whatever reason) or those that should reduce their fats (if they have cholecystitis, etc.)

absolutely true. people with autoimmune issues have different nutritional needs.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I just had ghetto sushi for lunch lol Low sodium tuna and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar warmed up to melt the cheese a little then place little scoops on my semi thick sliced cucumbers some sweet peppers, carrots and gaucamole on the side and I am sittin on 28 protein just for lunch alone and 14 for fat. But only 318 calories...I just started so I am focusing on fat loss atm. Other than that nuts are great,cheese.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    fish and nuts may be high in fat but it is a good fat that helps increase the good colesterol. fats are not equal--look to increasse monounsaturated fats over saturated fats