Has anyone said you were big or fat when overweight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So, there have been a couple instances. Most people I'm around now never knew me when I was obese. So one guy saw a picture of me on Facebook from a few years ago, next time he saw me he goes, "I saw a throwback pic of you and you were BIG!!!" I'm like, "yeah, I know." And he goes, "no, I mean you were BIIIGG!!!" I just laughed and repeated, "I know, I was there..."
    It didn't really bug me, it was just funny.

Another time that DID bug me was a woman at work, who saw pics of me before, and when she did she actually felt BAD for me. She went, "awwww that's Megan, oh my god how sad"
    Umm huh? Don't feel bad for me. I'm still Megan, I've just lost some weight. I thought it was a weird response.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wow! A thread from the dead. Thanks for all the comments.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A relative of mine called me lazy and fat infront of all my other relatives, it pissed me off so much. I didn't mind her calling me fat alone but the way she said in front of everyone was horrible. This happened 2 years ago. I made a vow to myself to never anyone call me fat ever again. So I started lifting weights , doing cardio and eating healthy and now I wear small size clothes. These are the people who compliment saying I look good now.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes. Some of it was rude, or bullying, and some of it was not. It depends on context (generations, the relationship to you, etc, etc) and your own sense of personal responsibility and sense of where others are coming from.

I could never be offended by "you look great, you were so fat", save the context of it being spiteful (which I've had with currently aimed barbs, but never with a presently directed compliment). It's true in every way (hopefully looking great. :) I WAS so fat and reminding me of a fact like that does not prickle me).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Old thread, don't care...active now! :)

Personally I think it is rude. I think it is hurtful. And I think that often, it is done so the person speaking can feel better about him/herself.

That said....The only people to have ever said I was big/fat/heavy were:

My dad. These comments were often made when I was actually an appropriate weight. Later he made them relentlessly after I got pregnant and held on to that weight. My dad and I never had a good relationship. Once I became an adolescent it was as if he had no idea how to be kind or polite to me anymore. He's been gone 16 or 17 years now, and guess what. I don't miss him. I do miss what we could have had...

My old boss. He saw me in the store just after having had my 2nd child. Slapped me on the arm and said "Really packing on the pounds there aren't ya?" I only responded with "I just had a baby, so I'm sorry." My apology seemed to disarm him.

My kids, when they were too little to know better. That didn't hurt. Just made me disgusted with myself, as if I wasn't already ...

My best friend, because we both always talk about how fat we are, and we laugh at ourselves...

It's hard when people seem to go out of their way to say hurtful things...sometimes it is unintentional, sometimes it is because the other person is an idiot and doesn't realize how hurtful they are being. I choose to ignore most of them. It would only hurt me now if it came from someone I cared about.