10 Things You Need to Know to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• xxxtracyxxx
    xxxtracyxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    And...I know I ruined my metabolism when I was working out like crazy (10+ hours a week) and eating too little. So yes, I gained weight back because of MY METABOLISM. And I also have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid...hmmm....

You can exercise too much.....? Sorry, I thought the more the better? Am I getting it wrong? Thanks
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    To all you so called "experts" ... if losing weight is such a "science" then why is losing weight so hard for so many people...how many different conflicting information has there been through the years.... you have your opinion and that is fine, I respect that, but you are not necessarily "right"... next year there will be new theories and new facts and new opinions... the bottom line we all have the right to believe what we want and post what we want.... I've read the word "stupid" too many times to respect you "experts".... here's a saying for you to follow, "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" and that is "correct" advice
    Why is losing weight hard?
    it deals with thermodynamics and eating more than body requirements.
    I am not sure of what level of education you have obtained but in my high school science class we talked about
    how energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. That was started in 1638 and it hasnt been disproven.

In the case of the human body, calories=energy.
    If you are putting out more energy=metabolic functions, exercise, movement. than the energy you are consuming.
    you will lose weight. That energy is not going to come out of nowhere and it will be pulled out of your fat reserves due to the availability of that particular fuel in your body.

Many people eat outside their caloric limits. Now I eat processed food, but I eat nonprocessed food.
    Non processed food has much more filling than processed and is less calorie dense for the filling.

Now in many cases people will eat way beyond their metabolic requirements.
    I used to be 58 pounds heavier than I am today. I got sick and tired of it and dropped it all.

It is because I simply ate less than what my body used.

Now you can "believe" all you want. regardless of what you think in your head.
    You are wrong. There is too much evidence against you and too many people that have dieted in a controlled environment and people realized. "Yes, the reason I am overweight is because I ate more caloried than I used"

So regardless of the small minor changes of macronutrient function and optimal loss of fat. nothing has changed but either way.
    As evidence currently shows my form of dieting is superior. It is based on current research which is based on something created almost 400 years ago. Which nothing has came close to disproving it
    So yes, you can stick with your delusional beliefs but I will still be losin weight more efficently than you
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.... Exhibits D, E, & F. tumblr_lp8h1m7yuM1qca9py.jpg It appears to be the next weight loss craze. Better go write that book DatMurse before I do. I'm gonna call it the SkinnySleep.
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    DatMurse - Congratulations on losing the weight and I hope you keep it off. But if you don't... message me at 46 years of age and tell me how "easy" it is to lose weight..... losing weight at 25 is very different then losing weight at 46....
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I found most of the links for the programme - called The Truth About Food - made by the Horizon Team at the BBC (I believe).

It's surprising how many people have immediately discounted some of the things - like the dairy one - Do you people not know that if you eat dairy your poop is filled with more fat grams than those who ate the same thing but without the dairy???? They only recommend low fat because it's, well low in fat.....

The soup in question was homemade soup....so it would have as much sodium as you put in it???

Watch the programmes and then come back and say it's all rubbish :)
    Watched a program the other night about 10 things we need to know to lose weight, scientifically proven. These are the 10 points.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/nonflash.shtml
    1. DON'T skip meals

2. Change your plate size from 12" to 10" or even smaller.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/ondemand/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/ram/popcorn?bgc=000000&nbram=1&lang=en&nbwm=1&bbram=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=1&size=16x9&bbwm=1
    3. Count your calories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/ondemand/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/ram/chicken?bgc=000000&nbram=1&lang=en&nbwm=1&bbram=1&ms3=14&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=1&size=16x9&bbwm=1
    4. Don't blame your weight on your METABOLISM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/ondemand/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/ram/fatfriend?bgc=000000&nbram=1&lang=en&nbwm=1&bbram=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=1&size=16x9&bbwm=1
    5. Eat protein, to keep you fuller longer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/ram/satiety?size=16x9&bgc=000000&nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1
    6. Eat soup, more often, keeps you fuller longer.
    7. Eat LOW FAT DAIRY, don't cut out dairy from your diet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/ram/calcium?size=16x9&bgc=000000&nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1
    8. Exercise.
    9. AFTER BURN from exersize plays huge role in weight loss.
    10.Keep moving, even the little bits during the day will add up to loss.
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    great advice!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    DatMurse - Congratulations on losing the weight and I hope you keep it off. But if you don't... message me at 46 years of age and tell me how "easy" it is to lose weight..... losing weight at 25 is very different then losing weight at 46....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/marekdds

SHe lost 87 lbs at the age of 60 following SCIENCE! She didn't starved herself. She moved around and then ate back those calories she so rightfully earned and thats all she did to lose 87 lbs at the age of 60.

Don't play the age card because I can show you MANY more who have lost good amounts of weight at an older age than you. Also, this person is a working GRANDMA so don't bother using time as an excuse either
  • DatMurse
    Options
    please explain to me how the laws of thermodynamics have changed with age.
    yes some basic metabolic functions have slowed down but the calorie calculator has not changed.

putting an age as an excuse to lose weight does not justify strugglign to eat 500 calories under your daily intake and lose 1 lb a week
    Even then the calculators which me and most other fitness people use to calculator use tells me.

my Total Daily Energy Expenditure only falls about 2519 calories a day.
    at 45 it is 2382. that means I can eat less than half a candy bar a day
    age has nothing to do with having problems of losing weight.

It is an overplayed excuse because plenty of people are doing it at your age.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I stopped at low-fat dairy. Couldn't read anymore.
    Seriously!? Dairy fat = good fat.
    If you can afford to get raw dairy products, even better.

It saddens me that people watch this crap and actually believe it. Our body needs the good fats that are obtained through dairy, meat, and other misc things like olive oil, coconut, avocado, nuts, etc. There is a HUGE confusion over the difference in good fat & bad fat. So many people see "fat" and freak out but the truth is its absolutely necessary to eat plenty of good fats, not those found in candy bars, big macs, etc.

As for the rest of it, other MFPers have it covered.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.... Exhibits D, E, & F. tumblr_lp8h1m7yuM1qca9py.jpg It appears to be the next weight loss craze. Better go write that book DatMurse before I do. I'm gonna call it the SkinnySleep.
    I think I may, people have problems adapting to new changes in the medical and health care world.
    everyday something new is coming out and you have to adapt yourself.

Yet. most of the stuff that works usually has an underlying reason of why it does.
    Weight loss over these past 10000000 years still follows from a hypocaloric diet
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The OP watched a documentary that she found interesting and decided to share it. She likely didn't post a link to the documentary because she wasn't aware that one was available.

For those of you who might be interested in watching the documentary, I did find the following link to view it:

http://www.documentarytube.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-losing-weight

I watched it and found it to be actually quite interesting and it might contain some information that some of you may find useful.

To the OP, thank you for sharing. :smile:
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options
    All of these are false, but I had a huge LOL @ 7.

Listen up, lactose intolerant people (80% of the world's population), there is no hope for you. You HAVE to eat LOW FAT DAIRY to loose weight.

Sorry, it's a scientifically proven fact. Don't even try loosing weight without it.

Look at all those overweight vegans! Look at all those fat paleo/primal lifestyle peeps! They are all so unhealthy, look at them, they need dairy... the poor things.

Anyway *ahem*

1. Meal placement does not affect weight loss. Eating a calorie deficit does. Spacing your meals evenly can help some people cope with a calorie deficit and curb hunger. There are, however, people who find that intermittent fasting works very well for them.

2. Your brain estimates hunger and fullness by volume, and you will have a perception of being fuller if you eat the same amount of food on a plate with no extra space. This is just a trick to help you eat a calorie deficit. There are a lot of people, myself included, who have lost weight without purchasing new dinner plates, though. It's hardly necessary, especially if you count your calories.

3. This is another helpful aid for eating a calorie deficit, and probably the most useful because it is exact. I would also include keeping a food journal.

4. Hormonal factors for metabolism can be extreme in some people, like people who have long histories of disordered eating or those with hypothyroidism. It can be very difficult for people in these circumstances to get enough macros/micros on a diet that would put them in a calorie deficit because their BMR's are so low. For most people, it's not an issue, but if you have trouble loosing weight it is important to see a doctor. Also, hormonal responses to stress and also to calorie restriction can lower your metabolism and make weight loss more difficult and lead to plateaus and stalls. Why discount these things out of hand?

5 & 6. Tricks to deal with a calorie deficit and curb hunger. I'd also add raw and steamed vegetables.

7. AHHAHAHHAHAHA What was this sponsored by the dairy industry? Seriously, were there lots of Got Milk? commercials?

8, 9 & 10. Exercise ("afterburn" effect included) and activity are not necessary for weight loss, eating a calorie deficit is. Exercise can help you create a calorie deficit but it is not necessary.

Here, I'll translate:

1. Eat a calorie deficit.
    2. Eat a calorie deficit.
    3. Eat a calorie deficit.
    4. Ignore people with metabolic issues, pretend plateaus and stalls never happen.
    5. Eat a calorie deficit.
    6. Eat a calorie deficit.
    7. Support corporate sponsors.
    8. Create a calorie deficit.
    9. Create a calorie deficit.
    10. Create a calorie deficit.

I'll admit it doesn't make for great TV, though.

When you conduct your research on weight loss, you should probably pay attention to research other than what you want to hear. Also, try to keep in mind that these are generalities aimed at the average person. The average person does not have a GI tract disorder of hormonal imbalance. Go rain on someone else parade.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    The OP watched a documentary that she found interesting and decided to share it. She likely didn't post a link to the documentary because she wasn't aware that one was available.

For those of you who might be interested in watching the documentary, I did find the following link to view it:

http://www.documentarytube.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-losing-weight

I watched it and found it to be actually quite interesting and it might contain some information that some of you may find useful.

To the OP, thank you for sharing. :smile:

Well I am glad you told me what video what not to watch if that is what OP was basing the information off of
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    First off I am not "playing the age card", and I'm not saying it is not possible to lose weight, of course it is possible at any age. All I was saying it is harder to lose it the older you get . Wow, you people are unbelievable you don't give anybody a break if somebody doesn't agree with you.

I admit defeat... you can be judgemental, mean people who have all of the answers and have nothing nice to say.

I will keep up conversations with those who are on my friend list, at least they are supportive. And I will continue to live my life being respectful of people and their opinions....

Good luck to all...
  • DatMurse
    Options
    First off I am not "playing the age card", and I'm not saying it is not possible to lose weight, of course it is possible at any age. All I was saying it is harder to lose it the older you get . Wow, you people are unbelievable you don't give anybody a break if somebody doesn't agree with you.

I admit defeat... you can be judgemental, mean people who have all of the answers and have nothing nice to say.

I will keep up conversations with those who are on my friend list, at least they are supportive. And I will continue to live my life being respectful of people and their opinions....

Good luck to all...

Who said I was mean? You are the one being mean spreading false information
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    First off I am not "playing the age card"

Yes, you did.
    Wow, you people are unbelievable you don't give anybody a break if somebody doesn't agree with you.

Irony because you're at this point freaking out because we're not agreeing with you
    Not agreeing with you does not mean we're judging. Wheres the judgemental statements here? care to point them out?

You're welcome to do that too. I personally keep an open mind and try to learn from others. I don't play the "Oh I'm old so I'm an exception" or "You guys are being mean and judgemental card" when I'm wrong. I simply say "oh nice, learned something new!" or better yet... don't say anything at all!
    Good luck to all...

Good luck to you as well
  • nomfundoedith
    Options
    mmmmh so now " Im lost
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    all I can say is just do whats right for you. I do organic fat free milk just cuz I only use in my protein shakes so who cares what it is that's in it. I am now following In Place Of A Road Map, <-- Amazing look it up on MFP. I also lift weights and just pretty much move as much as I can. I can say the plate one is a good one, I did cut mine down to a lunch size 10" and measure everything and it makes it look like a HUGE portion so my mind thinks, " OH BOY!! FOOD GALORE!!!" ....so meh :3

IPOARM totally 2nded.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Soup ... really? IMO, Soup runs right through you and is usually loaded with sodium ... pretty worthless, no matter what the commercials tell us.

If you actually make the soup, it can be pretty low in sodium.

I watched the programme too. In this test, they took 2 groups of army personnel - one group ate a 'normal' meal of chicken & veg with a glass of water at the side; the other group ate the same BUT their food was liquidised together with said glass of water. The 'experts' then measured how long the food stayed in the stomach for. They ascertained that becaused the 'soup' is thicker it took longer to empty from the stomach, thus resulting in feeling fuller for longer.
  • anubhavsharma18
    anubhavsharma18 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Totally Agree with you, it's all about Calorie deficit..