How do you spruce up your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• agtapia09
    agtapia09 Posts: 94
    Options
    My mom used to make it with milk, butter and sugar when I was little...

NOW, I've eaten it with greek honey yogurt, peanut butter, berries, half a banana and a drizzle of raw honey
    and with coconut milk, berries and that drizzle of honey :smile:
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I generally make a slow cooker appie pie oatmeal and add some vanilla protein powder afterwards.

Ingredients
    - 1 cup of steel cut oats*
    - 3 diced apples (I use Braeburns)
    - 1 cup apple juice
    - 3 cups water
    - 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Directions - Slow Cooker
    For Best Results: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like. Be sure to stir every hour or so.

* You can also cook longer without stirring, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier. Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.

* It must be steel cut oats when cooked in the slow cooker, as regular oats get very soggy when cooked this way. You can find steel cut oats in your local grocery store (sometimes they are called "irish oats" or "pinhead oats"). If you would really rather use rolled oats, be sure to use the stovetop method below and adjust your liquid/cooking time accordingly.

or

Directions - Stovetop Method

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency that you like.

Edit:

This recipe makes approx. 6 - 1 cup servings.

Nutritional Info per serving (1 cup) (before additional toppings):
    159 Calories, 33g Carbs, 2g Fat, 3g Protein, 8mg Sodium, 5g Fiber

(With protein powder: 206 Calories, 35g Carbs, 3g Fat, 20g Protein, 53mg Sodium, 5g Fiber)
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    almond slivers
    raisins
    egg whites cooked in for protein (do not like so much)
    dash of salt
    pinch of brown sugar
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I add honey
    or honey and a banana

I need some inspiration though which fits convenience, Honey can sit on my table at work unfortunately frozen blueberrys cannot!

Cinnamon sounds good.

open to convenient ideas??
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a rarity as I like things savory instead of sweet! I make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal early in the week and then toss in some julienned veggies like zucchini & carrots, divide it into small portions and top each one with a tiny bit of fresh parmesan cheese, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. A little olive oil and cheese go a long way flavor wise. It's sooooo good and keeps me going for hours, plus I like getting some veggies in early in the day.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I like adding a very small amount of chocolate chips or a little honey if I'm having it warm. I also love over night oats with berries and a dollop of Greek yogurt . put oats and milk in a tub and leave over night in the fridge, add berries and Greek yogurt. Eat cold. Sounds odd but really yummy. Going to try it with protein powder. Also liked it with peanut butter!
  • jennbeaudry
    Options
    1/3 cup quick oats mixed with 1 tbsp hemp hearts and 1 tbsp chia seeds, topped with 1/2 cup wild blueberries!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a rarity as I like things savory instead of sweet! I make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal early in the week and then toss in some julienned veggies like zucchini & carrots, divide it into small portions and top each one with a tiny bit of fresh parmesan cheese, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. A little olive oil and cheese go a long way flavor wise. It's sooooo good and keeps me going for hours, plus I like getting some veggies in early in the day.

This is very different! I'm curious! :-)
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I make it pretty thick and add a mini box if raisins. Almost like a no-bake oatmeal raisin cookie! Love it!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I always always always add protein powder to my oatmeal..... otherwise it's just too carb heavy of a meal..... other add ins I like are:

peanut or almond butter.
    plum amazins
    cinnamon
    pumpkin
    banana
    pineapple & coconut extract
    berries
    apples

also overnight oats are so versatile, and such a great option - can be eaten cold or hot.
    this is my favorite overnight oats recipe http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/07/hawaiian-overnight-oats.html
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lots of cinnamon
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats:

1/2 cup quick oats
    scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1 banana
    1 tbsp nutty PB
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese
    1 cup almond milk

Mix ingredients the night before and enjoy in the morning. This is usually my post workout. Comes out to a little over 600 cals 72g carb/52g pro/18g fat
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I pretend my oatmeal is hash browns. First batch I ever did I topped it with two eggs over easy, and hot sauce --yum! Next batch, add some mixed veggie in there, add the over easy eggs, hot sauce --second batch is now my favorite breakfast! One day I was out of canned mixed veg so I substited canned mixed fruit --still yummy! I don't know why people think it has to be sweet --not at all! Most people think I'm strange for doing this but it's the only way I eat my oatmeal now.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I add honey or Peanut butter & co. Cinnamon & raisin swirl is my fav to add.
  • kspirit
    kspirit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I chop a whole apple, add cinnamon, fground flax seed and microwave for 3 mins with my 1/2 c old fashion oatmeal. Than I add a tsp of honey with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Makes a generous servings size and fills up. Sometimes I can't eat the whole portion. :smile:
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats, theres something about that nutty flavor and substantial feel that get me.

I throw in Crasins (pomegranate flavor!), chopped pecans, cinnamon & nutmeg with a bit of honey. Nothing fancy but my fave.

I've had cinnamon/peanut butter/apple too. Surprisingly for me, the peanut butter was good in it.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love to mix it up once in a while and make a savoury oatmeal, you can add a poached or boiled egg, a little cheese some sautéed mushrooms etc. to it, it's really good.
    ETA: never done this with anything but steel cut oats, that's all we keep in the house but I LOVES them
  • aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    i mix in one of the following combinations:
    applesauce and cinnamon
    banana slices and blueberries
    peanut butter and cinnamon
    chocoate soy nut butter

hope you enjoy, oatmeal is the best!
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options