One year down.

Options
I'm hesitant to post this in success stories. I don't see myself having achieved success yet. I still have a ways to go before I can transition to maintenance mode. However, I have come a long way in the last year. I tend to be a storyteller, and my posts can get long. So, I promised myself I would keep the forum post to a very brief synopsis to prevent people from coming in and saying TL; DR.

I was at my mother’s house on April 8th, 2012 (Easter Sunday). I realized I had hit a new low. I sat and reflected. In the years that I had graduated from my nursing program, I realized I had gotten out of hand. I weighed myself: 280 pounds. I thought of how I couldn’t stand to see myself in pictures anymore. When I had to have a picture taken, I always positioned one of the kids in such a way, that I couldn’t see my belly. I had one pair of jeans that I could squeeze into, and that was work. They were 46x30. All of my XXL t-shirts were now fitting very tightly, and my belly would peek out of the bottom more frequently than not. My dress shirts with an 18.5 inch neck could not even come close to having the top button buttoned. My ties only came to half way up my belly. My expandable dress pants with the elastic expansion in the waist were stretched to the maximum.

My health was being affected in some ways. I couldn’t sleep at night. When I did sleep, it was only by laying on my face. If I slept in any other position, I would snore and wake myself up, I would wake up with pain from the weight putting pressure on my joints, or my diaphragm could not effectively move for me to feel like I was getting enough oxygen. I needed 3 pillows to sit up in bed, or I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I could not sit upright on the floor because I couldn’t’ breathe, or the fat would push me back. I had constant back pain, and felt like I might have been developing a pressure ulcer on my sacrum. My feet constantly ached, and the bones creaked and snapped when I walked.

I had lost my ability to complete my own ADLs. It had been year since I was able to reach my toes. I couldn’t clasp my hands behind my back. My flexibility was shot. I had to have someone else clip my toenails. When I bent to tie my shoes, I couldn’t breathe because my diaphragm was immobilized against the crushing weight of my flab. I would tie one, and rest for a few minutes to catch my breath, and then tie the other. I had to tie them with my fingers outstretched as far as I could just to get to the laces. I had some of my employees offering to tie my shoes for me. When I went to the bathroom, even wiping my own backside was nearly impossible. I couldn’t reach around. I had to use giant wads of toilet paper to get it. That was embarrassing.

So, here I sit at my one year anniversary of the beginning of my hitting rock bottom. I am currently sitting at 195 pounds. That’s 85 pounds down in one year. As I reflect on all the things that have changed in my life over the last year, I am happy with what has happened. My fitness level has increased overall. While I am still technically obese per BMI, I feel a lot better. I can sit upright on the floor and breathe. I can reach behind myself and wash my back. I can wipe my backside without a problem. I can run 3.5 miles on a treadmill at 5.5 MPH without getting winded. I can work an arc trainer or treadmill for 60 minutes at a time. I can swim breaststroke indefinitely without getting winded. I can reach my toes and clip my toenails and tie my own shoes. I can sleep on my back and on my side without waking myself from pain or snoring. People I haven’t seen in 8 months don’t even recognize me, and have to ask who I am. I have gone from needing to wear XXXL shirts and scrubs to wearing larges (I need a medium in my swimsuit now). My neck has lost over 3 inches, my waist 8 inches. I am not done yet.

Like I said above, this is just the abstract. If you are really interested in my whole story, you can view it here (you can view it if you aren't interested too I guess):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SpeSHul_SnoflEHk/view/there-and-back-how-i-got-there-and-reflections-on-the-last-year-s-work-515861

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    This absolutely belongs in the success stories. Just because you're not done doesn't mean what you have done doesn't deserve tremendous credit! But, pictures! pictures!

Great job, Kev! (I love reading this stuff, especially when i actually am friends with the OP!)
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic progress, and concrete!!!! Congratulations!
  • rali4ka
    rali4ka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats a success and Im glad you are continueing your journey .I hope in one year I can say similar things about my own goals.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome, BB! I am so happy for you and all your success. :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Pics! Stand in your old clothes if you don't have any!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Pics! Stand in your old clothes if you don't have any!

Yeah. I plan to get the pics in the next couple of days. I couldn't get the camera door to open to get the card out. As for the old clothes pics, I planned to have that done yesterday, but couldn't get anyone to take a pic for me. I'm hopin gto get those taken tonight, and then a trip to the goodwill to say good bye.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Oh My Kevin. That could have been my story. I am so proud of you! You are an amazing mana nd an inspiration to everyone else who is still working so hard everyday just to get to the point you are at! Oh, and you look yummy! Muah! :love:
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you, Kevin... You are amazing and I'm so happy for you darlin :):love: :love: :love: :love:
  • Cynwedding
    Options
    This absolutely belongs in the success stories. Just because you're not done doesn't mean what you have done doesn't deserve tremendous credit! But, pictures! pictures!

Great job, Kev! (I love reading this stuff, especially when i actually am friends with the OP!)
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think you're wildly successful. I may be biased, but I'm pretty sure my innate *****iness cancels that out, so it must be true. :drinker:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. It is kind of nice to see over 10 years of improper living erased in a year. I appreacite all of what you have said.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    85 pounds down in a year? That's a major success, my friend, I don't care where one started! Congratulations!
  • mattison3
    Options
    Good for you. Thanks for sharing.
  • jeanababy2
    Options
    AMAZING WORK!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!! You are such a inspiration!!!!! Keep up the amazing work!!! Thanks for sharing YOUR SUCCESS STORY!!! :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'll take your picture....
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This belongs in the success stories for sure! Fantastic work! :flowerforyou:
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    6 months ago my husband (MasterZillah) could have written this almost verbatim (except he was 310 and is down to 258), so I have lived with how you felt. I can only guess that your attitude has done a 180 like his has. He too has stopped snoring and is down from a 46/30 and and the XXXL shirts look like dresses on him now. It has been such a joy to watch his transformation, so I'm sure it has been for the people in your life as well. I'm so so so very proud of you for owning the situation and having the perseverance to continue to better your life. *hugs*
  • DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options
    You can tell a story! Congrats!

There's no holding you back? What is your goal for the next year?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    You can tell a story! Congrats!

There's no holding you back? What is your goal for the next year?

I would like to get to 170ish and see where I am at. According to the charts and calcs, I should be 165ish.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Damn, that's some impressive weight loss right there. Great job man.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!