Gluten free!

Options

Replies

• bellybusterclub
    Options
    COCNUT FLOUR, COCONUT VIGIN OIL, BUTTER, MILK COCONUT EVERYTHING , the best fibre provided, great for inside and out .
    try almond flour too.

see www.freecoconutrecipes.com
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you were lactose intolerant it would be all dairy foods that would upset your stomach. Cheese, ice cream, yogurt, milk, etc. You're most likely NOT lactose intolerant, your stomach just doesn't agree specifically with MILK.

False.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _abbie
    _abbie Posts: 24
    Options
    I went mostly gluten free because of arthritis. Its made a world of difference and I'd totally recommend it to anyone. I don't like to cook so much so most of my meals are salads, fruits and veggies - not too keen on meat but will occasionally have a little and ditto with dairy - lactose intolerant but if you're talkin coffee ice cream - its worth it every now and again
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant. Since I gave up it my migraines are gone and my sluggish, no energy feeling is gone as is the excess gas and bloating. I eat mostly natural foods - fruits, veggies, dairy, meat/eggs/poultry, and rice and potatoes.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    If you were lactose intolerant it would be all dairy foods that would upset your stomach. Cheese, ice cream, yogurt, milk, etc. You're most likely NOT lactose intolerant, your stomach just doesn't agree specifically with MILK.

False.

^this
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

False.

^this

Four people close to me are lactose intolerant and this is TRUE for all of them.

So, false to a doctor? Perhaps. True in my experience? Yes. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way.
  • rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just when I had shared my thoughts on my gluten /dairy intolerance this morning whilst filling in my food diary, I come across this thread!
    I am gluten/dairy intolerant and also have allergies to eggs, all nuts, and various birch tree derived fruits such as apples, pears, cherries, peaches etc. I've been tested by my doctor for Celiac, but thankfully it came back normal.
    I discovered my food intolerances a couple of years ago, (I've always known about the allergies) and went completely gluten/dairy free and lost 14lbs in around 10 weeks, lost the headaches and all the other general aches and pains I had on a daily basis, I basically felt like I had flu every day!
    I couldn't believe the difference in my health, my mood was lifted, and I just felt like a different person. Then last year around August/September I somehow fell off the wagon and started making really bad food choices, I became depressed and this continued until February this year, when I came to my senses and decided enough was enough and it had to stop. I had put on 20lbs over this time.
    I'm still struggling to stay on the wagon now, but after waking up this morning with really painful abdominal cramps after having crusty french bread two days in a row and then apple pie with custard last night, I really have decided that I don't need to keep testing the theory of intolerance, no further confirmation required!
    I'm glad I found this thread, and there have been a few good pointers of where to check out good gluten free groups and recipes, which I will shortly check out.
    OP add me if you'd like, it would be nice to have more friends who are in the same boat for support and motivation with this.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later - I've been considering elimiating wheat from my diet to see if my digestion improves.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I was a gluten overeater, now I eat very little to no gluten daily. Plenty of ways to get carbs and fiber without eating glutens.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free (aside from the occasional slip up). I've got IBS and find I feel much better without it.
    If you want substitutes I find brown rice flour and mung bean noodles are really great. Gluten free bread is rubbish and made from rubbish too. Spelt flour is lower in gluten and makes good home made bread. Gram flour makes amazing pancakes and pie crusts, as does almond flour.

I don't tend to substitute most of the time, and instead eat a lot of sweet potato, cauliflower rice (you can eat regular rice), veg. I dont see how meals NEED gluten in them. You can make stews, chilli's, curries etc. Not everything needs bread or pasta.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

False.

^this

Four people close to me are lactose intolerant and this is TRUE for all of them.

So, false to a doctor? Perhaps. True in my experience? Yes. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way.

It may be true for some, maybe even many, but not all.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    well put it this way- all my trigger foods have gluten in them

But if you ate the gluten free versions of bread, cakes, pastries, pies.... would you still eat compulsively?

Probably.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    well put it this way- all my trigger foods have gluten in them

But if you ate the gluten free versions of bread, cakes, pastries, pies.... would you still eat compulsively?

Probably.

That's funny. I have heard it over and over. People who went GF also gained weight, mostly because they felt free to eat more gluten free goodies.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I'm gluten free (aside from the occasional slip up). I've got IBS and find I feel much better without it.
    If you want substitutes I find brown rice flour and mung bean noodles are really great. Gluten free bread is rubbish and made from rubbish too. Spelt flour is lower in gluten and makes good home made bread. Gram flour makes amazing pancakes and pie crusts, as does almond flour.

I don't tend to substitute most of the time, and instead eat a lot of sweet potato, cauliflower rice (you can eat regular rice), veg. I dont see how meals NEED gluten in them. You can make stews, chilli's, curries etc. Not everything needs bread or pasta.

This is interesting. I have IBS too. You feel better without the gluten? My doctor recommended cutting out gluten AND dairy. Dairy I find I can't really live without. I have yogurt every day as a snack for protein, when I don't have yogurt I starve at my desk at work and then go to the candy machine for a snickers. It's horrible. I also adore cereal and milk.

So obviously going gluten free you'd cut out bread, but what else? All pastas as well?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and the thing that has cured ALL of my symptoms has been cutting out raw and cold food from my diet - as per advice from a nutritionist who practices traditional Chinese medicine.
  • awaywego1
    awaywego1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant and went gluten free around 6 months ago...my health problems have improved but i have put on weight (around 7 pounds)-and not due to snacking too much on GF produce i dont think-certainly didnt eat anymore of it that i used to of gluten filled produce and nothing since i gave up cake/biscuits for lent. Disappointing-i did hope weight loss might be a secondary benefit from GF diet, but i am here instead. I would advise against going GF for weight loss purposes though given my experience.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

False.

^this

Ive read that yogurts and cheese are processed in such a way that the lactose is not usually bothersome to lactose sensitive people like regular milk is.
  • baileybiddles
    Options

False.

^this

Ive read that yogurts and cheese are processed in such a way that the lactose is not usually bothersome to lactose sensitive people like regular milk is.

My buddies could just be very sensitive. :) I am certainly no doctor, so I could always be wrong. Just my two cents on the subject :)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

False.

^this

My buddies could just be very sensitive. :) I am certainly no doctor, so I could always be wrong. Just my two cents on the subject :)

some people are lactose sensitive, some people are casein sensitive, and some people have both.

if you're sensitive to casein, then it's literally ALL dairy you can't handle. if it's just lactose, you may be able to handle some processed, cultured dairy - such as aged cheeses and yogurts.