Almond vs soy milk

Options
Hello everyone, I see a lot of people using almond milk. What is the big advantage to either of them. I myself have soy milk in my home at any given time. I never have tried almond milk, is there a nutritional difference? Please let me know if there is, I use light soy milk with my smoothies and wanted to get the best nutritional advantage when I drink them.....

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Soy products give me kidney stones. Plus I just think almond milk tastes better.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    They are both fine to have. Soy milk generally has more calories (but not by much) and more protein and fat. If you are having "light" soy milk, I doubt there is much of a difference. I usually switch up my milks often so I don't get bored. One week I'll have soy milk, the next almond milk, and then maybe the next I'll have coconut milk. If you enjoy your soy milk, then keep having it.
  • Nimue108
    Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    One thing about soy is that there are studies saying it can metabolize into estrogen. Not sure how much you would need to make a difference, but that is one reason we keep it out of our house. Also, I agree that almond tastes better.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Blech vs. blech.

Just my humble opinion!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I keep my soy consumption to a minimum because of some of the reasons mentioned in this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/371222-what-are-the-dangers-of-too-much-soy/

I'm an almond milker. :drinker:
  • sweetzoejane
    Options
    One thing about soy is that there are studies saying it can metabolize into estrogen. Not sure how much you would need to make a difference, but that is one reason we keep it out of our house. Also, I agree that almond tastes better.

Your comment about soy "metabolizing into estrogen" is incorrect, and it is widely accepted among the scientific community that there are far more benefits of soy as a phytoestrogen than there are small studies showing a correlation of soy with any negative health effects. The estrogen-like parts of soy (and other plant foods) are by far less of a problem for humans than animal hormones found in things like dairy (naturally occurring estrogen/other hormones and those we inject into dairy cows). If anything mimics estrogen in our bodies the most, it's dairy milk, not soy milk.

I really wish I knew how this misconception started, because I believed it too until I started working in cancer research.
  • LynetteHensley
    LynetteHensley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Heidi from Austin,
    Yes Almond products are much healthier than Soy.

You can go out on websites to see this information about the effects of Soy.
    If you go to Joel & Josh BioTrust Nutrition and Marks Daily Apple they give you very informative information.

I have convertered eating only Almond Flour or Cocunut based products (don't like the flaky cocunut but I'm able to do the flour and liquids.

Do not haves are:
    1. White flour made products
    2. Wheat made products- such as Wheat Bread, Wheat noodles etc.
    3. No white potatoes or pasta's - instead eat Sweet Potatoes (grilled are fantastic) no condiments needed you'll see

Always stay fresh on meats, vetables and fruits. All nut products stay with unsalted. Organic Banana Chips great for quick cravings.

Check out Paleo baking for breads and desserts. Already have made and they are great.

Have fun you have to be willing to try and experiment.
    Once you get in practice you will have it as a daily habit.

Lynette
  • sweetzoejane
    Options
    Hello Heidi from Austin,

If you go to Joel & Josh BioTrust Nutrition and Marks Daily Apple they give you very informative information.

I have convertered eating only Almond Flour or Cocunut based products (don't like the flaky cocunut but I'm able to do the flour and liquids.

Do not haves are:
    3. No white potatoes or pasta's - instead eat Sweet Potatoes (grilled are fantastic) no condiments needed you'll see

Always stay fresh on meats, vetables and fruits. All nut products stay with unsalted. Organic Banana Chips great for quick cravings.

Check out Paleo baking for breads and desserts. Already have made and they are great.

Lynette

:ohwell:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Soy has more protein and more calories than almonds milk.
    Both are pretty low calorie, but unsweetened soy has about 80 calories per 8 oz, which unsweetened almond milk as 30.
    Soy has about 7 g protein, almond milk as about 1 g.
  • kbrooks323
    Options
    Hey Heidi! I usually drink soy milk too, it made me ask myself whether almond or soy is better... I found this article has all the nutritional info! Apparently almond milk is healthier!

http://www.prevention.com/whats-healthier-soy-milk-or-almond-milk
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Your comment about soy "metabolizing into estrogen" is incorrect, and it is widely accepted among the scientific community that there are far more benefits of soy as a phytoestrogen than there are small studies showing a correlation of soy with any negative health effects. The estrogen-like parts of soy (and other plant foods) are by far less of a problem for humans than animal hormones found in things like dairy (naturally occurring estrogen/other hormones and those we inject into dairy cows). If anything mimics estrogen in our bodies the most, it's dairy milk, not soy milk.

I really wish I knew how this misconception started, because I believed it too until I started working in cancer research.

It got started with the internet and people believing everything they read on it.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I just like almond milk better, it tastes better to me. But I like hemp milk better than both soy and almond milk. I don't drink any of it straight, I use it in cereal, coffee or smoothies.
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    soy is very hard for the body to digest.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Hello Heidi from Austin,

Do not haves are:

Lynette

lol
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, unsweetened almond milk has less calories than unsweetened soy, but soy has more protein. Depends on your taste and macro needs.
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk due to a dairy sensitivity. I hate the way soy milk tastes.
  • Elainesabrina
    Options
    Read the 5 foods you should never eat.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I like both, but prefer the flavor of almond milk. My partner needs to avoid soy products due to estrogen sensitivity. (Breast cancer) So its almond milk at our house...and its no sacrifice!
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Almond milk tastes better IMHO. I drank soy for years and never got quite use to the taste. Something was always off for me. I switched to almond milk about a year ago and never looked back.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate almond milk and coconut milk make a yummy combination.