Almond vs soy milk

Options

Replies

• MrsSpindler
    Options
    I hate the taste of soy. To me, it's like drinking left over cereal milk. I do like the original almond breeze milk. It's low in sugar, sodium, and calories.
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i don't know about the nutritional differences but I think almond milk tastes better. I think it is just personal preference.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    what is the difference between reg milk, soy,almond and coconut/?
  • missyrussell81
    missyrussell81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We drink almond milk in our house because my husband is a kidney patient and his dietician said that soy milk has more phosphorus in it. Really not an issue if your kidneys are healthy, but something to think about. If you get the almond milk that has 5x the protein, it gives you everything you need.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My opinion: almond milk is awesome. It ranks right under hemp milk and coconut milk. Soy milk is utter nastiness. Just eww.
  • felipejose74
    felipejose74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Given that Monsanto holds the PATENT on all soy crops created in this country, you won't find any soy products that aren't GMO. That is enough to keep me far away from it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Given that Monsanto holds the PATENT on all soy crops created in this country, you won't find any soy products that aren't GMO. That is enough to keep me far away from it.

To what country do you refer? In the US organic foods may not contain GMO. And in my store all soy milks are organic. So is all the tofu.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

So, my article is basically just a summarized version of the one you offered....?
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and feel of almond milk better but I think you just have to try them out and decide what your mouth likes. : )
  • redrdghood40
    redrdghood40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk because as a breast cancer survivor I was told to avoid soy products. Don't get me wrong, I do eat soy products occasionally, but I like the almond milk better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So, my article is basically just a summarized version of the one you offered....?

The bottom lines were similar, though all that sensational nonsense from the one person recommending only fermented soy was not.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

The bottom lines were similar, though all that sensational nonsense from the one person recommending only fermented soy was not.

It was one of a few opinions given; just like you will get different advice from different doctors. Also, it's basically the same as saying "it's better to eat clean". How this is sensational nonsense, ya got me.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I see a lot of people using almond milk. What is the big advantage to either of them. I myself have soy milk in my home at any given time. I never have tried almond milk, is there a nutritional difference? Please let me know if there is, I use light soy milk with my smoothies and wanted to get the best nutritional advantage when I drink them.....

Soymilk has more protein than almond milk yet a bit more calories, it also has soy which is a complete protein. Personally I like the taste of soymilk better than almond. That's the main difference. If you dump the soymilk for almond you'll be cutting about 6-7 grams of protein out of your smoothie.

Soy is not bad for you. No research study has conclusively proven this myth. It's something baked up by the meat and dairy industries because they are afraid of losing buisness.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    almond milk= greatness
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    soy milk = yucky
    Almond milk = yummy

it's a matter of taste I think
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    The soy plant is toxic to humans and the "health" of any soy derivative is controversially discussed, although not very commonly. I try to avoid any soy products, so I drink almond milk to be safe :) Soy milk does have more protein, but as I said even protein from soy products is a derivative of soy and I don't want that in my body. I prefer getting protein from chicken, nuts, whey protein powder, or anything else other than soy. Coconut milk is great too, and has healthy fats just like almond milk! Other than that, I would prefer not to drink soy milk or cow's milk
  • crazyjlyn
    crazyjlyn Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and some hormonol issues so my dr advised me to try to stay away from soy based products, so I use almond milk. Its pretty delicious too.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I used to hate soymilk, but these days it's the only milk I've been drinking. Then again, I do seem to go between phases of switching between skim and soy. But the benefits of the latter I've found is -

- Lower calories (I use So Good 99.9% fat free, which brings 250mls of soymilk just under 90 calories. Almond milk is higher.)
    - Long-life (same as almond - you can buy it and keep it, provided it hasn't been opened, in the cupboard for ages)
    - Cheaper (I've been meaning to try almond milk, but am waiting for it to go on special first since it's double the price here)
    - Higher protein (not very much in almond milk when I compared the nutrition information)

But yeah, I've been meaning to try almond milk for the longest time since I've heard so many good things about it. I'll get around to it eventually and see which I ultimately prefer xP