Need input on gyms......embarassment here.

Options

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give it to you honest. I am a very regular gym goer. There are people of ALL sizes at the gym. To be completely honest - I have nothing but RESPECT for anyone...big OR small who just take the step sand goes there. What you don't know is - a lot of USED to be bigger and different.

Not all people judge. just go in there and do your thing.
  • cannonball_master
    Options
    Wow! I cannot believe how much support is in here. Well, I guess I can, but thanks to each and everyone of you.

It's been a long road to this point, and I really needed to hear this. It's not something I can talk to with anyone.

I'm going down today and get over this speed bump.

Thanks to everyone, from the bottom of my heart!
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I am not horrifically overweight or out of shape, but I'm definitely noticeably larger than most of the women I see at my gym. My gym is two levels and the top level has cardio machines and the lower level is weights. The guys down there just stare up at the girls on the cardio machines between sets. I feel like they're judging me. Fortunately if you have TVs on your cardio equip or if you have headphones in it makes it a lot easier to ignore what other people might be thinking about you. I think it's inaccurate to say that no one pays attention to anyone else at the gym; we all have opinions and can't always control our thoughts. It's just something I try to deal with each time I'm there. It doesn't ever go away for me, though. Courage, friend!
  • reginadelmundo
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym to work out. If you have the money, invest in your own treadmill or elliptical. Or walk/jog/run around your own neighborhood. Ride a bike. Get a workout DVD and do it at home. Then when you are feeling more confident, you can join a gym -- or not!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great. :flowerforyou:
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    when i go to the gym.. its typically a mix of people, but honestly.. i hardly even notice
    its definitely not some place just for uber fit 20 somethings..
    just about everyone there has their own body issues, goals, etc.. and they are focused on themselves..
    they may notice you, but trust me.. they wont pay any attention..
    most of them are wearing headphones and listening to music because they want to tune everything else out and concentrate on their own workout..
    based on what ive seen.. if you do get any attention, it would only be encouragement or assistance.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The honest answer is no one will give a ****. I have been in many gyms with a wide variety of people. Everything from the power houses, to the monsters who compete in bodybuilding competitions to the average person who just wants to get better to the first time out, over weight person. They are all treated the same. They are left tondo their own thing.

Occassionaly you may have someone offer advice or form correction or ask for advice. For the most part, the only question asked in a gym is "howany sets do you have left?"

Don't worry about the others, just get what you need to get done.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    In general if you follow gym etiquette (wipe down your machine, don't interrupt people in the middle of their workout, be conscientious of people waiting for machines) then nobody will even see you. That being said, there are gyms that I have been that are frequented by body builders, power lifters, and people like that. These are the places that give people the fear, most of the time these places are also very expensive, and the price alone keeps away us regular guys. If you are new to lifting I would recommend checking out ExRx.net for some guidance on starting a plan. It also has .gif videos that show the proper motion and machine use. If you join and enjoy it you might also put up a flyer looking for some guys to lift with. If you explain that you are a new to the sport you might get some more experienced guys who will help you with form and give you some tips.
  • Amethyst125
    Amethyst125 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with everyone's comments about going there doing your workout and not worrying about what other people think. You should feel proud of yourself that you are doing something for yourself and making a big improvement. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Keep that in mind when you are working out.
    Yes you can also walk, don't think that it won't be a work out because it is and you will notice how much better you will feel.

good luck!
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    If you are worried about people watching you work out, just go in the morning or later in the evening. You have no reason to be embarrassed, though. There is nothing embarrassing about working hard to lose weight.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym!!! People don't pay much attention to others at the gym, everyone's focused on themselves. And if you still feel uncomfortable, you could start going early in the morning/late at night when the gym is emptier. You can do it! Good Luck!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Just go. If you're in the gym and putting in the work, no one will care that you're there. Since your new and don't know what you're doing, have one of the facilities trainers show you around and maybe take one or two training sessions just to learn proper form. Bottom line, get in there and find what helps you and stick to it!
  • ShaneTAMU99
    ShaneTAMU99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just go in there and work hard and do your thing. Unless you're acting obnoxious most people aren't going to pay much attention to you. And I think you'll be surprised to find other "less than fit" folks in there with you.
  • txs78746
    txs78746 Posts: 24
    Options
    I attend a Gold's near my house and 24-Fitness as I travel around the country a lot. Just about all of them have a mix of folk. I have some flexability in my workout times and notice that if I go between 10AM-Noon and 2-4PM, the gym is mostly empty with a few retirees around. Most folks are at work, so its can be pleasant. If you work standard hours then early morning tends to be dedicated people that are just trying to get their set in. Helpful with a spot when you need it, or just ramping up for their own day.

After work seems to be when I run into the most d-bags. I've been a gym rat, and was once "huge" from lifting. Now that its gone to fat I've noticed that the D-bags are the same and the good folks are the same. Just go when you can. The only people that attact attention tend to be the ladies showing off in their lime-green spandex that isn't enough fabric for me to use as a hat. They go to be noticed. The rest of us to be healthy.
  • mintona
    mintona Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are embarrassed working out in front of people I suggest P90X I know it looks like and as seen on TV fail but it is really a very balanced work out that you can do in the comfort of your own home. All you need is weights/resistance bands and a yoga mat. eventually a chin up bar would increase the intensity of your workout but to start you don't need it. In the long run it is far cheaper than any gym membership and you can change it up and repeat it as much as you want to stay in shape. I love it. It is by far the most intense workout I have ever done, but I know its working and I am only 1 week into it.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss!!!

I go to the gym every day, I am 44 years old, started at 244 and I am 5 feet tall. So I understand your apprehension about going to the gym, but I can say that I do not “see” very much, except for one time a young lady was in the gym in her matching workout clothes with the matching cap and wearing sunglasses! I usually workout from 6:00 – 7:00 in the morning and it was winter and dark outside :smile:

We are all at the gym for different reasons and while you may look at those with the svelte bodies – the reality is that being at the gym is part of the reason they have that body. Unless you have the discipline to work out on your own, do this for yourself. You never know who you may motivate by being at the gym.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Nobody cares in the wrong way if out of shape people are exercising at the gym. So just go, ok.
    Now here's the devil's advocate advice. Have you stopped losing weight? Going to the gym will increase your appetite. It may be harder to maintain the diet you have been keeping. Some people swear by not eating you burn calories back and just as many refute that idea. consider the good ol adivse of if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    For anyone trying to be healthy and fit you have to at some point incorporate workouts that get your heart rate going, but that doesn't have to be at the gym. And if you are still keeping your losing pace it may not have to be now.
    And congrats on your success so far.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else who gives a silent "good for him" when I see someone who's 'big' at the gym (or on a hike, or whatever...) The gym is definitely not about status or prestige or perfection - everyone is on a different place in their journey, you won't be the newest member for long, so get in there and get sweating :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I need some HONEST feedback here, and am turning to all of you.

I have lost 70 pounds so far on diet alone in the last 7 months. And have done so without exercise.

I could not go to a gym out of personal low esteem, and concern of people looking at me being "that guy". I am 43, and now 298 lbs.

But now it's time to put reality in check, exercise and resistence training needs to be incorporated. And I can't break the bank for thousands of home gym equipment.

I want to enroll, but I have never set foot inside a gym before. I have one near my house that is open 24 hour a day.

I know going inside, i will see many 20 somethings with defined bodies. I don't want to be the only guy walking in, and feel like I'm the dairy cow in the herd of horses.

Reality check, what is the attitude in the gym? Give it to me. Should I try and get off another 30 or just get over my fears?

trust me, you won't be the only "big" person there. i see all types of people there.

but i also had this fear and it held me back for a while then. then i just started going as soon as the gym opened at 530am. you have a 24/7 gym, so if you can, get there as early as possible. less people, and a lot more free space. no waiting for equipment.

look, you don't know what kind of person you're looking at, and they don't know you. i used to be so judgemental of all the people on the elliptical machines, because i thought they were doing it wrong. but when i was recovering from an ankle injury, i was very thankful for the ellipticals to be able to get some cardio in.

so don't worry about what people think of you.
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I am not horrifically overweight or out of shape, but I'm definitely noticeably larger than most of the women I see at my gym. My gym is two levels and the top level has cardio machines and the lower level is weights. The guys down there just stare up at the girls on the cardio machines between sets. I feel like they're judging me. Fortunately if you have TVs on your cardio equip or if you have headphones in it makes it a lot easier to ignore what other people might be thinking about you. I think it's inaccurate to say that no one pays attention to anyone else at the gym; we all have opinions and can't always control our thoughts. It's just something I try to deal with each time I'm there. It doesn't ever go away for me, though. Courage, friend!

we're guys.. we cant help by stare at women regardless where we are.. this isnt specific to the gym.. and absolutely not judging based on the workout.. also, if a guy is checking you out, its typically not to compare you with anyone else.. its just to check you out.. heck, if anything, most guys give bonus points when 'judging' for a woman taking hitting the gym and working out, regardless of shape or size.

of course, the OP is a guy.. so he wont have to worry about that as much.. he can just blend in..