What accessories do you bring to the gym?

Options
I read an article the other day essentially making fun of different gym stereotypes. One of them was named "The Accessorizer" - the guy that has a basket full of gym equipment brought from home that he carries from machine to machine. I laughed because my boyfriend is kind of like this. But the thing for him is that he only brings things that he believes will truly enhance his workout. For example, he brings these things called Fat Gripz which are supposed to be great for increasing grip and forearm strength.

One time I saw a guy with this weird head strap thing that he connected a couple 10-lb weights to and was doing "neck curls" (hunched forward and nodding his head up and down). I must admit, he looked pretty ridiculous...

What accessories do you bring, or have seen? Would you recommend them?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Water, towel and iPhone/ear buds for music. I can barely find room for those things.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    iPod or iPhone with ear buds, workout drink, and gloves.

I "have" to wear gloves. It sounds stupid, but when I put on gloves, it's like I'm getting focused for the task at hand. They enhance my workout. And yes, that means I often wear gloves on leg day. :P

Edit: Oops, forgot to add that I also bring my workout log and pen.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    iPod, earphones, heart rate monitor, interval timer for HIIT, counter (if doing exercises that require 5 sets of 5 reps). Anything that makes exercise less boring or more efficient is worth it to me.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Water Bottle, iPhone and headphones. Sometimes, but not often, I will bring my kindle to read instead of listening to music but it has to be on a day where I am supposed to be taking it easy. We are coming up on nice weather and I'll only be going to the gym when I'm not running outside which is hopefully not very often.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My shaker, towel, iPod, spare ear buds, goggles, straps and a hat...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    a towel.

Sometimes a bottle of water.
  • bostongrl13
    bostongrl13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Notebook and pen, gloves, waterbottle, straps, ipod.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    The norms: Ipod, headphones, water bottle, HRM.

and then sometimes I bring my own medicine ball. My gym only has 5 lbs ones (weak!) so I bring my 10. =)
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    If I get there with my ipod/headphones, phone (i use some apps) and my water bottle I am happy. Too often I can't find one of them so I wouldn't do well with all of the other stuff.
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    water bottle, cell, headphones
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Water bottle.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If I get there with my ipod/headphones, phone (i use some apps) and my water bottle I am happy. Too often I can't find one of them so I wouldn't do well with all of the other stuff.

I have a checklist, which is a bummer, but I really do so much better if I have all my toys. Just last week, there was another story on how exercising to music at high rate beats per minute affects one's perception of effort.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have to have water, tissues, chapstick, gym gloves, bonk bar, extra hair band, pen, my iPod, and reading glasses :), I had a tiny back pack it all fits into. Seems like the minute I get to the gym my nose needs to be blow and my lips dry out. For some reason I can't get in a good workout if I don't take care of both. The other stuff is just stuff that has come up that I've needed every now and then over the past year and a half. My hair band broke and hair was in my face. ugh. Someone at front desk needed me to read a contract once. Can't see without the reading glasses. etc.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Headphones, heart rate monitor, cell, H2O bottle
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    water
    my iPhone so I can change the reps/weights I do as well as listen to music
    headphones
    HRM
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Camelbak, towel, lifting gloves, phone armband phone and headphones.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my 'gym' is at home, so if I have it, it's already here somewhere.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I always bring my milkshake. It brings all the boys to the yard.

Seriously, earphones, phone and water...that's it.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    iPod, straps, waterbottle. Straps are dependant on what exercises I'm doing. I don't always use the iPod, but it depends on what i"m working on at the gym that day.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i'm seriously gonna start brining my own bumper plates. WTF is up with gyms that don't have bumper plates????