The word "Ladies"

Options

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Definitely condesending. We are women, not ladies. Ladies stay home and crochet doilies. Of course, in the Order of The British Empire, quite acceptable. But Maggie Thacher was a woman long before she became a Lady...

but you wouldn't walk into a room and say "good morning women!" you'd say, "good morning ladies!"

i don't see a problem with ladies. i would avoid "girls" in a professional setting, but ladies is fine.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    "ladies" doesn't bother me so much....but i hate being called "ma'am"!!!

^^^ What she said.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Definitely condesending. We are women, not ladies. Ladies stay home and crochet doilies. Of course, in the Order of The British Empire, quite acceptable. But Maggie Thacher was a woman long before she became a Lady...
    ladies is fine. calling me "woman" I can't stand.

You can't call anyone anything without someone getting offended, so I'm always sure to address a group of women as "snozzberries". They're kind of confused at first, but, hey, it works. At the very worst, the amount of indignation is evenly distributed across the crowd, rather than concentrated in entirely on one chip-on-the-shoulder.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

ma'am you ma'am's need to make up your damn mind about what you ma'ams wanna be called, ma'am
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    ladies is fine. calling me "woman" I can't stand.

You can't call anyone anything without someone getting offended, so I'm always sure to address a group of women as "snozzberries". They're kind of confused at first, but, hey, it works. At the very worst, the amount of indignation is evenly distributed across the crowd, rather than concentrated in entirely on one chip-on-the-shoulder.

:heart:
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Broads?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it could possibly be considered inappropriate.

Agreed... but a male coworker asked me if it was appropriate or if we took offense to it. It had never even crossed my mind to be offended by it.
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think someone may be just looking for a reason to be offended with this one....lol.

I'm not sure how being referred to as "ladies" is offensive... Now, a man saying "woman!" in a demanding, "come when I tell you to/do what I tell you" way... That's a different story.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Sausage wallets.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Broads?

Love it.
    :heart:
  • odusgolp
    Options

I've never minded ma'am.

I get annoyed when someone refers to us as "girls" however.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Sausage wallets.

Is it made of gold? Can I spend it? Cause then it's cool.
  • kappatit
    kappatit Posts: 9
    Options
    i only find "females" condescending. Makes me feel like an animal.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Sausage wallets.

Is it made of gold? Can I spend it? Cause then it's cool.

Might as well be, I've never had an inexpensive one.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I've never minded ma'am.

YOu look way too young to be called ma'am. :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

See ma'am doesn't bother me either... but that has a lot to do with how I grew up.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I totally do not mind being called a lady. If you have been around the block, you can tell if someone is meaning to be offensive. Words like ma'am and lady to me give off the connotation of respect in my eyes. I worked long enough and hard enough to not have to prove how much of a "2013" woman I am.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I like the term ladies.
  • odusgolp
    Options

See ma'am doesn't bother me either... but that has a lot to do with how I grew up.

I think it's the same here. I was told it was a polite sign of respect, and therefore have never taken offense...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I've never minded ma'am.

YOu look way too young to be called ma'am. :)

Well then its a good thing that many men use it as a form of respect for women rather than saying it about their age eh?

Lets make a list.

We cannot call you

-Ma'am
    - Ladies
    - girl
    - woman

Would you just like me to draw a pink taco and point it towards you everytime I include you in the conversation?