The word "Ladies"

Options

Replies

• njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Nope, ladies is good. Ma'am totally fine also. I'm in law enforcement...and I get called sir all the time because that's what comes to mind for people when they see an officer. It's a gut reaction for people (annoying in itself) and corrected quickly, but irritating.

So yeah, ladies is just fine. :wink:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    You have to add this disclaimer in fine print at the bottom of your correspondence or read it at the end

* "Ladies is meant as a polite term to address a group (more than one) of the female population. Use of the term ladies should not be construed as an excuse to get riled up because you hate men. If you happen to also be offended by disclaimers, please see below for the undisclaimer"

I mean it "Ladies & Gentleman" and is meant as a term of respect. ANd also a pretty awesome Saliva song. What should we use instead? "My fellow Americans". But what about those darn resident aliens?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nope, ladies is good. Ma'am totally fine also. I'm in law enforcement...and I get called sir all the time because that's what comes to mind for people when they see an officer. It's a gut reaction for people (annoying in itself) and corrected quickly, but irritating.

So yeah, ladies is just fine. :wink:

You realize I'm going to call you sir from now on, right? :wink:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I don't want to offend anyone with these derogatory terms so I refer to the homosapiens with the opposite reproductive organs to my own.

Anyone offended?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    It's basic etiquette. How else should someone address a group of women?

"What up, wimmin-folk?"
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This is a tad ridiculous (imho, of course)...how is "ladies" in itself offensive or condescending? Obviously, tone can change any words connotation. But, how is this term disrespectful? So if i'm trying to be polite...addressing or describing a group of women...what term should I employ?

I get confused with gender roles...I believe that womanhood and manhood...as well as ethnicity and cultural variance shouldn't be ignored, but respected if not celebrated. But, that's a whole other subject...
    Ah, but you've stumbled onto a paradox. If you do indeed believe womanhood, manhood, ethnicity and cultural variance shouldn't be ignored, how can asking a question about a label addressing those living the experience of womanhood be ridiculous?
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Ladies does not offend me, but I'm someone that does not easily offend at all. You could call me a nasty name and I would probably answer...hahaha.

I like this reply because it agrees with my philosophy. If someone is offended (by anything), they are only offended because they choose to be offended.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Lady...please tell me,

what was the debate in the first place?

I use lady as a sign of respect, have never thought much of it and need to know how this could be inappropriate or condescending.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Ladies does not offend me, but I'm someone that does not easily offend at all. You could call me a nasty name and I would probably answer...hahaha.

I like this reply because it agrees with my philosophy. If someone is offended (by anything), they are only offended because they choose to be offended.

I like that :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Definitely condesending. We are women, not ladies. Ladies stay home and crochet doilies. Of course, in the Order of The British Empire, quite acceptable. But Maggie Thacher was a woman long before she became a Lady...

So, you'd rather hear, "Get to work, women!" Than "Get to work, ladies?"

The former sounds more insulting imho.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You can be a woman and not be a lady.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    "ladies" doesn't bother me so much....but i hate being called "ma'am"!!!

Haha, this is exactly what I thought.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    "ladies" doesn't bother me so much....but i hate being called "ma'am"!!!

a. men.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. No problem whatsoever.
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sausage wallets.

:laugh:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, get funky
    All the ladies in the house
    The ladies, the ladies

beastieboys_L120110.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In a professional setting, do you find the word "Ladies" appropriate? Inappropriate? Condescending? Does it matter if it's used in an email vs. in person?

Heated debate here....

Disclaimer: I'm referring to the word "Ladies" being used to address a group of women, not men, you freaks.

Have you never heard the phrase, "Ladies and Gentlemen?" That's the proper way to address a mixed group. I am shaking my head trying to figure out how that could possibly be considered unprofessional. In what sense?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    In a professional setting, do you find the word "Ladies" appropriate? Inappropriate? Condescending? Does it matter if it's used in an email vs. in person?

Heated debate here....

Disclaimer: I'm referring to the word "Ladies" being used to address a group of women, not men, you freaks.

Have you never heard the phrase, "Ladies and Gentlemen?" That's the proper way to address a mixed group. I am shaking my head trying to figure out how that could possibly be considered unprofessional. In what sense?

No. Never. What is this nonsense you speak of?
  • cupcakegirl81
    cupcakegirl81 Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I hate "female." It feels so icky and dehumanizing, like they are describing animals. Ladies is fine.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Definitely condesending. We are women, not ladies. Ladies stay home and crochet doilies. Of course, in the Order of The British Empire, quite acceptable. But Maggie Thacher was a woman long before she became a Lady...

So, you'd rather hear, "Get to work, women!" Than "Get to work, ladies?"

The former sounds more insulting imho.

Right? I didn't get that either...