Bigger Woman wanting to becoming a Zumba instructor

Options

Replies

• BadOneEarMonkey
    Options
    If you can go faster and do the moves bigger and stronger than the rest of the class, and not get out of breath, then I think you should be able to do it.

I had a zumba instructor that was a bit older and bigger and she hardly did any of the moves properly. it was confusing when you're trying to copy her, and when she got too out of breath to talk to the class, it was irritating.

i think it's a great goal and you should do anything you set your mind to, but be aware that holding extra weight could make it more difficult for you to go through the motions stronger than everyone, which could be off putting or frustrating to class members.

my absolute honest opinion :flowerforyou:

Yah I get what you mean, I am not a slacking and don't get winded haha...
    I had a skinny instructor watch herself and not care about the people in the class, I stopped going to that one...
  • moodyshannon15
    moodyshannon15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My Zumba instructor wasn't big. But she wasn't tiny either, she had some tummy on her..I've not been in awhile, I really miss it! It was so much fun!
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up...as a size 10 years ago (and only because I had a big butt..I played college soccer at the time so I was pretty fit), I interview seven times for a sales position at Lifetime Fitness. After the 7th interview I was told to call the manager in a day and get my training schedule.

When I called, his exact words were "I have decided that Lifetime Fitness is not for people like you", and that is was a better fit for "small" people.

I love that you want to instruct, but beware of the ignorance of other people. If you can teach it, and teach it well...go for it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go for it. but give it some time. i mean, you sound like you just started zumba. learn, keep taking classes, talk to instructors, find out where they got certified, ask them questions on other things too.

i mean, don't just become a zumba instructor just because you're really into it right now.
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would love to attend a Zumba class or any other class that the instructor was not a size 4. Yes I'm overweight but I to would still be nice to attend a class and not be so intimidated. I can't twist my overweight body into all those positions and it would be nice to be in a class that was being taught by a heavier set individual. Also if classes could be offered by weight classification, I think more people would be out there enjoying different exercise classes. Maybe that can be your draw to encourage overweight people to come out and try Zumba. I think you would do very well!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this won't be a popular response and guess what? I don't care! Being an overweight fitness instructor is not a good look.

No, it's a pretty pathetic response but yours to have.

Oh please! You know damn well if you walked into fitness class and you saw someone overweight,like myself, the first thing you would think is how the hell is she a fitness instructor. Quit the damn BS and keep it real.

Bull.

Depends on their moves...shake it baby.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Also if classes could be offered by weight classification, I think more people would be out there enjoying different exercise classes.

lol. yeah, that would go over well.

8am- Zumba for the fatties

9am- yoga for skinny beaches
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Go for it! The wisdom and heart necessary to teach come from your mind and spirit. "Looking the part" is no use if they cannot teach. You will do fine. I have two friends from church that Zumba a instruct. Both average body types
  • Mommy2nicolas
    Mommy2nicolas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go for it! :-)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've had bigger instructors. It's not an issue as long as you can dance good and keep up the active energy. She was actually my favorite zumba instructor. I think she was one of the best dancers.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to an awesome fitness studio and there was a young woman who was at the front of the room for every Zumba class. She was a big girl but danced with incredible grace and energy.

She now teaches at that fitness studio and is one of the most popular instructors.

See, she is still overweight, but she's committed to getting healthier. Veterans love her because they adore being able to see her progress and transformation. Newbies love her because she is relatable.

Don't let your weight stop you from doing something you love, but also use your love of Zumba motivate you to keep working on getting fit and healthy.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    DO IT. If you can do the moves, DO IT. Don't listen to ANYONE who is saying "People will walk in and wonder 'how did that overweight person get to be an instructor'?" Will some people think that? Yes. Those people need to stop assuming the being over weight means you lack knowledge or skill. That's like saying all thin people have a clue about about healthy weight management. Um, no.

I wouldn't think twice about taking a class from an overweight instructor -- what the heck do I know about booty-shaking dance? Nothing.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My zumba instructor is a bigger girl, my hip hop cardio instructor is as well. I love them both. I have a super tiny instructor for kickboxing and she mainly just intimidates me. It's not as fun :P
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    My zumba instructor is a bigger girl, my hip hop cardio instructor is as well. I love them both. I have a super tiny instructor for kickboxing and she mainly just intimidates me. It's not as fun :P

you allow yourself to be intimidated for whatever reason.

i took some muay thai classes. they were beginner classes, but i knew there would be people there of greater skill. the instructor was 5' 5" skinny indian guy, with 8% body fat. and he could totally kick my *kitten* three times before i hit the ground.

was i intimidated? no.

i was alert, mindful, attentive, and eager. i was not intimidate. of what? of a martial arts class? of people that know more then me, or have more experience then me?

that is going to exist every where. i am like most people, and will never achieve a level of understanding where i know everything about any particular subject. to feel intimidated just because i go to a class with others.

hell, i even went up to a student that was obviously more advanced than me, and introduced myself and asked him to show me how to properly wrap my wrists. guess what? new friend.

get over what ever intimidates you about some "fitter" instructor teaching a class. you don't know that she wasn't once overweight herself. maybe she was always afraid of speaking in public. maybe she over came some physical ailment and is know teaching classes after not being ever able to.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I do not see what weight has to do with being a Zumba instructor. As long as you can gyrate (I assume that is what you do) then no problem. Yes, you will get some jerks that think it is BS that you are an instructor, but those kind of people are nasty anyway. **** 'em.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't care what size my Zumba instructor is. It only matters if she is a good dancer. If you have rhythm and can really dance, then do it. I have taken a class from a very large woman, but she was a really good dancer, so I enjoyed the class. I have also taken a class from a very thin and fit woman who was not a very good dancer, and I never went back to one of her classes.
  • cleaneatingkaren
    Options
    I love (most) of these replies! Yes, if you've got the passion and energy for Zumba then do it! I am an avid Zumba-er and I could care less who my instructor is just as long as he/she has some good moves and positive energy. Go for it!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I've had many aerobics instructors all different shapes and sizes. They have all motivated me because they can teach several classes a day while I'm proud to just be there!!!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I did an at home Zumba video once, and although I was home alone I was still embarrassed for myself~lol. If you're good at it and love it, go for it girl!
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    I think being bigger and losing a long with them is awesome some people feel uncomfortable around little skinny people and embarrassed. It will show them that it doesnt matter about size that anyone can do the exercise and give them hope:)