Strength training for runners

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
Hi...
I'm trying to incorporate strength training into my workouts because I know if you your legs, core, etc. is stronger you will become a better runner. How long do you strength train and what exercises do you do?

Thanks!:heart:

I want to set up a workout schedule that's quick (like hopefully under one hour) for strength training.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Also interested in teh responses to this one.

On my non-running days, I make sure I do 2 sets of 20 each squats and push-ups, but that's fairly minimal.
  • angbieb
    Options
    Yeah...I'm hoping to get a lot of input on this..especially for leg work, because I want to avoid injury and I feel that if my legs are stronger that give me a better chance!
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot before I got injured pretty badly 1 year ago. I play football since I was 10 so I always had pretty strong legs.
    But what I was doing on top of that back then were a few exercises at home a few times a week in no particular schedule, like:
    Squats, lunges, jumping jacks, squat jumps, glute bridges, hip adductors, ... :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am lifting heavy along side my running routine. I am doing New Rules of Lifting.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do 15 lunges 25 step ups with weights them 25 with weights on one of them large balls and also mix in a few chest press and anythink that might help but I have to mix them
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I do three P90X strength routines each week on my non-running days. That has been working out well for me.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Some leg work my trainer has me do are step-ups on risers with weights in each hand...I use a riser that is 6 'blocks' high and use 15lb weights...10 step-ups each leg, do this 3xs...also, weighted lunges are killer! I also do weighted squats (10 squats while holding 15lb weight above my head)
  • hpilon27
    hpilon27 Posts: 43
    Options
    With all the running, walking, and skating that I do, I felt that my legs were very strong but that my upper body was lacking. I wanted to even out and so joined the gym a few weeks ago. I started a program with light lifting, ab work, and then cardio (either a run or something with less impact like the elliptical). I already feel stronger. I ran stairs a lot throughout the winter and that had amazing results!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I do a body weight centered workout, it's quick & effective.
    It's a mix & match of squats, lunges, jump squats, pistol squats, split squats, step ups, and box jumps. Upper body is push ups, pull ups, dips, overhead presses.
    Then various ab work. Plank, hanging leg raises, v-ups, boat pose, hollow body hold.
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Bump~~ I could use this info!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What kind of running?
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lunges, squats, anything and everything core (I do alot of kettlebell work)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Bump. Will respond when I'm not on my phone. Gimme an hour.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I run 3 days per week and alternate with strength training DVDs. Currently using Jillian Michael Rippled in 30 but I so full body strength workouts normally. When done with this routine, switch up to P90X but will still run every other day.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half marathon.

I'm lifting heavy. Doing stronglifts 5x5 (I do 5x3) I keep my workout to 30 minutes (45 max)

With the big compound movements, I'm able to squeeze a good workout in. Squats, Deadlifts, pendly row, overhead press, bench.

Squats are a bit of a challenge and I wrestle with the balance between that and running. So far I just run though the pain of being sore for the first mile seems to work. I'm at 340lbs on squats, not sure if I should go further or deload.

I'm also looking to incorporate some more accessory workouts to improve my posterior chain.
    I've read this article: http://strongerrunner.blogspot.com/2012/01/posterior-chain-part-i.html
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    I would run stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength and follow the same progression but only lift twice a week. Then I would run three days a week with varying intensity. For example:

Monday: Short run but pushed for speed
    Tuesday: Stronglifts
    Wednesday: Easy run
    Thursday: Stronglifts
    Friday: Off
    Saturday: Big *kitten* run
    Sunday Off
  • angbieb
    Options
    What kind of running?

I'm running a half-marathon in September...maybe sooner, if I can find one I like!:smile:

Oh and I was also going to ask...stronglifts 5X5..is that just 5 different weight lifts?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6qi1hd5M7ec A sandbag strength training workout specifically designed to help prepare for obstacle 5k races such as the spartan sprint and tough mudder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPV3PEkaic sandbag strength workout for runners
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What kind of running?

I'm running a half-marathon in September...maybe sooner, if I can find one I like!:smile:

Oh and I was also going to ask...stronglifts 5X5..is that just 5 different weight lifts?

http://stronglifts.com/

For distance running, building strength isn't going to have the same kind of direct benefits that it would for say, sprints. It's still definitely a good thing to build up for overall fitness and physique. Loft's suggestion is solid. Pick a beginner program, but dial back the intensity/frequency a bit so that it doesn't interfere with your running.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!