Strength training for runners

Options

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am lifting heavy along side my running routine. I am doing New Rules of Lifting.

Yep, beat me to it. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a lot of people have already said what i wanted to say, but i'll still add some more.

there is a saying in track: you can only run as fast as you can move your arms. i see runners all the time who struggle to keep their arms up.

you can totally fit two lifting days in your week.

Day 1 is squats and bench day. assistance exercises can be pull ups/chin ups, hyper extension, dumb bell bench press, and rear laterals. day 2 is dead lifts and overhead press. dumb bell rows, dips, good mornings, and curls.

the above is a little upper body heavy, but it does hit a lot of the areas you need to develop to be come a better runner. you can also throw in some box jumps and lunges (on seperate days).

like a previous poster said, you can do three runs a week. one run is a speed run and the second is a nice and easy run. the third is a long run for increasing endurance.
  • rwhite08
    rwhite08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would recomend building a core workout twice a week into your weekly plan. Also focus one day on legs where you could be doing body weight squats and lunges. Depending on individual preferences some people like to use leg machines at the gym aswell as a lunge workout. The stronger your legs get the more likely you are to start doing weighted lunges and squats.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution & it had a huge improvement on my running. Also p90x's strength days are good. Then there's Chalean extreme's but I'm not a big fan of her videos.

If at a gym, you can download the p90x routine and easily do it at a gym without the video. It's a good plan and quite effective. It's 50 minutes for the video but without it and all of his jabbering, you can speed it up.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/
    try runners world hun, they have training plans n shed loads of info x
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I helped a friend yesterday who is the same. He prefers running, but understands the importance of strength training.

We put together a 2 day/week strength training program. That would incorporate the compounds lifts. It looks like:

Monday: Run
    Tuesday: Squats, Bench Press, 2 Assistance lifts for Squats and 2 Assistance lifts for bench
    Wednesday: Run
    Thursday: Deadlifts, OHP, 2 Assistance lifts for Deadlifts and 2 assistance lifts for OHP
    Friday: Run
    Saturday and Sunday: Rest
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I do Strong Lifts 5x5. I lift 3 times a week, for about 30-40 minutes at a time.

It's made a huge difference in my running.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Since I run 6 days a week, I don't do any leg related strength training. What has worked for me is getting my core and upper body stronger. This has helped tremendously in perfecting my running form and stride.

Since I'm a lot stronger, my form doesn't break down as much and I can run longer and faster. Not to mention I have been 100% injury free since then. I think people focus too much on legs but running incorporates the entire body and having a strong core is essential.

Fore core work I use Manny Pacquiao's boxing routine for abs. It's more functional, and for me functional strength is everything.

For upperbody strength, I do the standard arm, chest, and shoulder routines using the bench, barbell, and dumbbells. I also do a ton of push ups and pull ups.

For endurance I add heavy bag training. Speed shadowboxing, boxing, and kickboxing.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I do classes at work that are called "fitness fusion". Basically they mix some high intensity cardio to get heart rate up, followed by quick transitions to strength training on various muscle groups, but focusing more on core and stability/balance - one-legged burpees are a favorite (of the trainer, I personally think they should rot in hell :), squats, various dumbell repetitions while in a plank position, box jumps, etc. I'd definitely recommend some strength training that incorporates some of these exercises, they've helped immensely with my running form, especially as I get tired on a long run. Good luck!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My focus is more on strength than running. I'm doing stronglifts 3 days a week, and running two. If I end up signing up for a race, I'll most likely just switch the two.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Currently training for a half marathon and I've been using the strength portions of ChaLean Extreme. Last summer, between half marathons (about 4 months) I also did Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. They are different, but I felt that my strength and muscle tone held steady.

Also, squats, lunges, core work. . .all good stuff. Even in addition to a "formal" program!!

Good luck!
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6qi1hd5M7ec A sandbag strength training workout specifically designed to help prepare for obstacle 5k races such as the spartan sprint and tough mudder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPV3PEkaic sandbag strength workout for runners

Bump to watch this on a computer that doesn't have youtube blocked...
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am lifting heavy along side my running routine. I am doing New Rules of Lifting.

Me too! I'm not following that book per say but my routine is similiar.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love doing yoga and body-weight strength training videos.

Bikram yoga has really helped strengthen my hips, and Ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels has really helped my core strength and lower body strength too.

Would love to lift heavy like so many are suggesting, and I bet it really does help too! However I'm really happy with what I'm doing now, and getting the results I want :-)

Since I started doing Bikram and RI30, I've gone from 12 minute miles on my short runs to 10 minute miles. Still slow as hell, but I'll take it! Also, I notice less aches and pains in my connective tissues post-run.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I do a body weight centered workout, it's quick & effective.
    It's a mix & match of squats, lunges, jump squats, pistol squats, split squats, step ups, and box jumps. Upper body is push ups, pull ups, dips, overhead presses.
    Then various ab work. Plank, hanging leg raises, v-ups, boat pose, hollow body hold.

Holy Shoot you're strong! Nice profile pic!!!:noway:
  • angbieb
    Options
    I love doing yoga and body-weight strength training videos.

Bikram yoga has really helped strengthen my hips, and Ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels has really helped my core strength and lower body strength too.

Would love to lift heavy like so many are suggesting, and I bet it really does help too! However I'm really happy with what I'm doing now, and getting the results I want :-)

Since I started doing Bikram and RI30, I've gone from 12 minute miles on my short runs to 10 minute miles. Still slow as hell, but I'll take it! Also, I notice less aches and pains in my connective tissues post-run.

Yeah yoga is great! Have you tried Pilates? That makes me feel really strong! On Youtube I like doing the Pilates w/ Denise Austin it makes my muscles feel great!!!
  • angbieb
    Options
    Currently training for a half marathon and I've been using the strength portions of ChaLean Extreme. Last summer, between half marathons (about 4 months) I also did Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. They are different, but I felt that my strength and muscle tone held steady.

Also, squats, lunges, core work. . .all good stuff. Even in addition to a "formal" program!!

Good luck!

Awesome! Great ideas! I'll check'em out! The one on youtube too! Sounds great...thanks!
  • angbieb
    Options
    I do classes at work that are called "fitness fusion". Basically they mix some high intensity cardio to get heart rate up, followed by quick transitions to strength training on various muscle groups, but focusing more on core and stability/balance - one-legged burpees are a favorite (of the trainer, I personally think they should rot in hell :), squats, various dumbell repetitions while in a plank position, box jumps, etc. I'd definitely recommend some strength training that incorporates some of these exercises, they've helped immensely with my running form, especially as I get tired on a long run. Good luck!

This is hilarious! The part about the trainer! OMG!!!:laugh:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What kind of running?

I'm running a half-marathon in September...maybe sooner, if I can find one I like!:smile:

Oh and I was also going to ask...stronglifts 5X5..is that just 5 different weight lifts?

I'm still doing standard upper body strength workouts but I've had to scale back on my leg strength training because of the required miles for this half training plan. My legs are still sore today from the run Sunday morning. If you're not needing to do a long run each week then a standard leg day with a day off is usually fine for me. Currently there's no way I can do both. After this half in June I'll pick back up on the leg strength training.

EDIT: 21 miles down this week, 21 more to go. That's my current leg workout.
  • angbieb
    Options
    I run 3 days per week and alternate with strength training DVDs. Currently using Jillian Michael Rippled in 30 but I so full body strength workouts normally. When done with this routine, switch up to P90X but will still run every other day.

Sorry this is off subject but...your puppy is adorable! I have a Chocolate Lab too..
    Thanks for the awesome ideas everyone...so many, I haven't got to read them all! I know I can put something together with all this info...thanks so much!