The Truth About Exercise -- PBS Program April 10

Options
124»

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    So VO2Max is correlated with health outcomes, but they don't know why...and 20% of people can't increase their VO2Max through exercise...Yet they can increase other health markers. I'm mildly confused by that bit.

I fear that part of the documentary is going to have people exercising 12 minutes a month and saying, well that's good enough.

True, but some people are always going to interpret ambiguous or incomplete information (not the researchers' fault, they candidly admitted that they don't know why some things are significant) in a way that will result in them doing as little as possible. :smile:
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump to watch
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I wasn't home when it was on TV so I watched it online.

I wish we had the tests that he had done available to us. it would be neat to use the test results to determine the best exercise for our health & fitness needs.

I'm not going to give up my regular workouts but I must admit I'm thinking of adding another 3 minutes per week. Be interesting to see if it makes a noticeable difference.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Andrew Marr feels that HIT was responsible for his stroke (although the article says exercise only seems to be a factor in people with aneurysms).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2309565/After-Andrew-Marr-blames-stroke-overdoing-rowing-machine-53-risky-high-intensity-exercise-fifties.html

I know it's the Daily Mail, but I thought this was quite an interesting article.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I wasn't home when it was on TV so I watched it online.

I wish we had the tests that he had done available to us. it would be neat to use the test results to determine the best exercise for our health & fitness needs.

I'm not going to give up my regular workouts but I must admit I'm thinking of adding another 3 minutes per week. Be interesting to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

The presenter said that if you enjoy your time at the gym and are seeing benefits, don't stop.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have done 2 HIIT workouts so far and while they are more intense and probably work better than my hour long cardio sessions, the HIIT was not nearly as relaxing. I use cardio to reduce stress and 3 minutes or even 20 minutes ain't long enough to get me in the stress free zone. I need 20 minutes just to stop reading my emails. Then I get 40 minutes of blissful wandering, mindless cardio. Then the damn treadmill stops and I have to get back to reality. I do think HIIT is a nice addition to my regimen.
  • WifeOfTbone
    WifeOfTbone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    bump