Parents: Favorite books to read to your little ones

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Mine is "Horton Hatches the egg" for sure.

Mostly for this quote, I think it's great.

“I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent!”

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Mine is "My Daddy Loves Me" because it's all about me ;)
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    "The Giving Tree"
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old son loves "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" and "Katy and the Big Snow" by the same author.

My 7 year old daughter is getting more into chapter books
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi and The Gas We Pass by Shinta Cho, because they are true and funny
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i like to read "The Monster at the end of this book"

but it's hard to compete with grandma's ipad app of the same book with animations and the actual voice.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Dinosaur Vs. The Potty.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My son has a bedtime book with lots of different stories, his favourite is Little Bunny's Bath Time, he thinks the bunny in the book is his comfort bunny :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When he was littler we read the Sandra Boyton books. As he's gotten into dinos a little 10 little dinosaurs is fun. We are now reading a lot of Seuss and Curious George, but really any book makes me happy because it's our snuggle time so while the book reading is important for his entertainment, growth, and development the snuggles are important for my blood pressure, soul, and well-being.

The only books in his library that I refuse to read are I love you forever and the velveteen rabbit . . . I just can't get through them, I cry and cry.

Edit: I have to say that I do really like reading Horton Hears a Who to my 3 year old. I think that the message "A person's a person, no matter how small" is an important one for kids to learn, it teaches them the value of their opinions and feelings now and hopefully he'll also understand that when he's the big kid.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent but I work in a school and I love the gruffalo
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old son loves "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" and "Katy and the Big Snow" by the same author.

Ohhh! Those are faves here too, you should get your hands on The LIttle House, we love that one too!

My two faves are Where the Wild Things Are and In the NIght Kitchen, but I also like the "If you give a...." series (I like Pigs and Pancakes the best).
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    We just went thorugh all my kids books, donated bunch of "baby books" to the library. But he kept a couple of his favorites: Party in My Tummy - Yo Gabba Gabba, and Chicka-Chicka-BOOM-BOOM!
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My daughter just turned one two weeks ago. I believe her favorite book is called Hatch! It is one of those peek a boo books with things hidden behind flaps. This one shows all the animals that hatch from eggs.

My favorite one is a Minnie Mouse book she has that also has a hair bow that has a motion sensor on it. When she moves it makes music. However, it is too big for her head so she has to hold it up or it falls down. The facial expressions she makes because of this is priceless.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    "Epaminondas and His Auntie" and "Tikki Tikki Tembo"

Haven't thought about these for years! I might change my user name to Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-
    chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo :happy:
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    my four year old has loved this book ever since he knew what us reading a book to him was...
    "i was so mad" by Mercer Meyer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307119394/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=5270081065&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=780284826738958661&hvpone=2.43&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_26ev4fzyh0_b
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

I'm 45 and these two were read to me often as a child!
  • rufusrubarb
    Options
    I'm not a parent but I am a teacher and My class love I want my hat back by Jon klassen. I love it too!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My kids are grownups now, but I read aloud at bedtime pretty much from the time they could understand until age 12 or so. I think the overall favorite kids books were "My Father's Dragon" and "Are You My Mother?" I know I read these quite a few times.

By the time my oldest was 6, I'd read chapters of adult books, and both kids' favorite was "The Hobbit" which I wound up reading aloud not once but three times because they liked it so much. When my younger kid was ready to graduate from kids' books (about age 5), he liked me to read The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes aloud (and then explain the cartoons, which is more tiring than you'd think).

Whatever you do, do NOT read Lorna Doone aloud to children. I had not realized how draggy that story is in parts. And if you read The Count of Monte Cristo, read an abridged version.

RE: Velveteen Rabbit -- that one make me emotional too.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I MISS the Sandra Boynton books....

All around the room in one big line, wearing our PJ's and looking SO FINE! It's Pajama time!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My favorites were:

If You Give a Mouse a Pancake
    ANY of the Miss Piggle Wiggle books (especially when travelling)
    What Would Jesus Do
    But Not the Hippopotamus
    The Snuggliest Snuggle
    The Icky Sticky Frog

Edited because I forgot There's a Nightmare in My Closet!
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 8 now, so we're reading Lemony Snicket's.

It used to be, "The Monster at the End of This Book", & "I Am a Bunny" (the illustrations are squee worthy).