Level Obstacles: Lose Weight, Target Fat! (EASY!!)

Options

Replies

• svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Crap, I got all confused????
    I have my cals set at 1700. I'm 37, stay at home mom. 5'4" 165.8 lbs.
    At sedentary, one site gives me 1721, at moderate it's gives 2223.
    I try to lift 2-3 days a week for about 30-45 minutes and non lifting days I'm doing the c25k program or I'm doing ripped in 30 or JNL fusion workout. I don't workout on weekends.
    Should I just leave it at 1700 and eat bk exercise calories or take 2223 minus 20%??? Tnx in advance
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great timing of the bump on this thread... Looking to transition to TDEE for maintenance! (and perhaps leaning up more).
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I try to lift 2-3 days a week for about 30-45 minutes and non lifting days I'm doing the c25k program or I'm doing ripped in 30 or JNL fusion workout. I don't workout on weekends.
    Should I just leave it at 1700 and eat bk exercise calories or take 2223 minus 20%??? Tnx in advance
    How are you calculating your exercise cals? If you're working with a higher number right now and that's working I'd stick to that until that stops working.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • katiekate58
    Options
    Great thread, so much information to come back to later!

I have to admit that I struggle with the idea of eating more to have more effective and prolonged weight loss, it goes against what feels instinctive and I dread failure. I'm a 32 year old, 5'11" woman, weighing in at (cringe) 236lbs this am (down from 283 post last baby), I'm working with two great trainers who have me doing some pretty intense lifting (for me) and we're working towards a long term goal of very fit, not just a "skinny fat", and they both told me I need to bump my calories up. I was eating just shy of 1100-1200 and honestly was feeling okay, though I understand why this isn't the best approach and I get why I should bump it up. Today I got closer to 1400 cals, I'm not hungry at all, and I'm trying to keep my carbs low because I'm a bit of a binge eater when I get going, it's a slippery slope for me, if I give in a little, it tends to turn into a lot. I really do struggle with the idea of eating greater then 1500 cals a day, but I am grateful this info is here, I'm always looking to learn more!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your exercise cals? If you're working with a higher number right now and that's working I'd stick to that until that stops working.

I use my HRM but if I forget to use, then I just use MFP's
  • aimeeworsham
    aimeeworsham Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great Info...I just need to figure out...should I use the sedentary(and log my exercise) to eat or not to eat those calories back...
    or should I use the 3-5x a day workout and not log my exercise... I need to be spoonfed - tell me what I need to do, and I can do it. hahaha I am 2nd guessing myself all the time... I am STUCK and I want to keep on rolling!!!!!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Great Info...I just need to figure out...should I use the sedentary(and log my exercise) to eat or not to eat those calories back...
    or should I use the 3-5x a day workout and not log my exercise... I need to be spoonfed - tell me what I need to do, and I can do it. hahaha I am 2nd guessing myself all the time... I am STUCK and I want to keep on rolling!!!!!!!
    How many calories have you been eating for the last couple months, and how much weight have you gained or lost over that amount of time?

Do you exercise about the same amount every week?
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Bump for usefulness x clarity.
  • aimeeworsham
    aimeeworsham Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories and if I need calories eating my exercise calories back...
    I have lost 41lbs since Feb 2012 - I have not gained back but I have had months where I have lost nothing...the best way for me to say this without catching way toooo much crap- I LIVE MY LIFE THE BEST WAY I CAN BE HAPPY AND PLEASING TO BE AROUND...I dont always eat clean, I take my kids for icecream and I may eat some too, I go to dinner with my husband and order what I want plus 3 glasses of wine! ;) so yes, I know I could clean up a few things...but I can deal with how slow my weight loss if as long as it continues to come off and stay off.....

I started out by picking up running in Feb(couch to 5k)
    I started a 3day a week bootcamp aug- may(tried to run on off days some)
    I started Jillian Michaels 90 day BR(which is 6days a week) I am on week 6(actually repeating week 6 bc pulled muscle)...

I really do enjoy working out- it took a year but I need it and enjoy it- its my break(hobby) from husband, 3 yr old, 1 yr old, and life!
    How many calories have you been eating for the last couple months, and how much weight have you gained or lost over that amount of time?

Do you exercise about the same amount every week?
  • jumelle
    jumelle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Based on my TDEE calculations, I need to eat between 1,999 to 2,224 Calories (moderate to heavy activity). Considering I have been eating only about 1400 to 1500 Calories each day, burning about 350 to 500 at least 5 days a week, it's no wonder I've plateaued. And I have fallen off of the wagon more times than I can count simply because I've been starving. :embarassed:

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to stick to this and let you all know how it works for me. :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Based on my TDEE calculations, I need to eat between 1,999 to 2,224 Calories (moderate to heavy activity). Considering I have been eating only about 1400 to 1500 Calories each day, burning about 350 to 500 at least 5 days a week, it's no wonder I've plateaued. And I have fallen off of the wagon more times than I can count simply because I've been starving. :embarassed:

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to stick to this and let you all know how it works for me. :drinker:

I like the adjustment you're making...

...and your understanding of why those adjustments will likely be beneficial for you...and the connection to how your "failures" were likely the result of too significant of a deficit. I predict you will find it much easier to adhere to the plan when the plan isn't as severe. You'll also likely find that your workouts are more effective (or at least more fun).

Best of luck and please give an update on how it's working for you in a couple of months. :flowerforyou:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bumping to remind myself to signpost people here. Good, simple, effective advice.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I find the original post to be very eloquently written. It is shocking in its simultaneous simplicity and majesty. What a monument to the collective brainpower of humanity. We truly are the deadliest catch.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I find the original post to be very eloquently written. It is shocking in its simultaneously simplicity and majesty. What a monument to the collective brainpower of humanity. We truly are the deadliest catch.

Thou art as wise as thou art beautiful :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I find the original post to be very eloquently written. It is shocking in its simultaneously simplicity and majesty. What a monument to the collective brainpower of humanity. We truly are the deadliest catch.

I concur.
    smbc-dangerous_large.png?3647
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I find the original post to be very eloquently written. It is shocking in its simultaneous simplicity and majesty. What a monument to the collective brainpower of humanity. We truly are the deadliest catch.
    Very true