WTF? air line to charge by weight of CUSTOMER

Options

Replies

• Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I was half listening to the radio this morning when they were talking about an airline making the seats smaller so they could put more of them in. If "weight" of passengers is such a problem, why are they putting in 20% more seats? Won't 20% (and I am just using this % as an example...I don't know the exact %) more people be a problem?
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My daughter is tiny but packs her entire wardrobe (OK, maybe it just seems that way) when she flies and carries the max amount of luggage/carry-ons...I'm not tiny but I generally only carry what I can get in a small backpack (like the kind many kids take to school) and generally do not check any bags. My purse isn't huge, either. When all's said and done, we'd likely pay the same amount on Samoa Air.

Since the cost of flying is tied to weight, I can see this as being fair, as long as they are charging similar costs for the cargo they carry in the hold as well. I don't think this would actually lead to anyone losing weight just to fly unless they were pretty frequent fliers; though I can see it as being a huge cost savings to companies that require lots of travel if their employees were on the small size. This could be a problem for big and tall people. Can you imagine the cost to fly a pro football team somewhere?
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This is another typical news story that will over sensualize an issue that will cause uproar. Airline charging by weight WTF? Immediately people picture themselves at JFK standing on a scale with luggage to get their ticket. First no major airline would consider the folly of actually weighing its passengers. This is about a small regional airline that offers taxi service (island hopping). These are twin propeller, three seater Cessna’s with a couple nine seaters. I’ve traveled on a small regional Alaskan airline and they even move the passengers and luggage around to better balance the plane in flight. If you ever boarded and flew in one of these weight becomes a concern. The singer Aaliyah with her entourage and equipment was overweight by 300kg in a Cessna which crashed.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    As well they should

Yep
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Facts are rubbish though.

However, as I weigh nearly 100kg, I'm going to have to start travelling in a mankini to minimise any additional weight. Hope my fellow travellers don't mind!
  • piq0409
    piq0409 Posts: 8
    Options
    Other airlines are considering it too. I read an article about a Norwegian airline that is considering it.

I would say as long as the seats are adjustable to accomodate the larger person who is paying for more space, then go for it. I fly often and dred getting stuck between 2 people who are too large for the alotted seat size. It isn't just about a large person's right to fly or not be discriminated against. A smaller person has rights too. They shouldn't have to be uncomfortable because someone is spilling out of thier seat.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If the cost of an airline ticket was based on my weight, I'd be paying about half the price of what I pay now. That would save me a ton of money! Literally.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So if you overestimate are you given a refund?
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Pay your grocer today or your airline tomorrow?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. Weight is the biggest contributor to costs. I think it would be more appropriate to have a base fee & then a cost for every pound over 100 or something like that though.

What I don't think is a good idea is the denigration of fat people on a fitness website. I should absolutely be required to pay my own way, but there's no need to shame me.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I read the article and it actually sounded reasonable and this is from someone who has been obese most of her life. It's for both the passenger and their luggage. The planes have a set weight that they can carry. Families like it because their kids can fly cheaper. The airline says that since they know that the heavier people are paying more, the heavier people get more room. So more room fro them and more room for others on the plane that are not jammed against them. I don't think it's a bad idea.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Second thread I read about this. :D
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    This was NOT an airline proposal, it was a proposal and mental exercise by an economist, essentially equating human transportation and cargo transportation.

This would of course be a false economy. The lines to weigh in would take forever. people would starve themselves the week before, etc....It would make airline travel less attractive and ultimately cost the whole industry money.

It will never happen.

• t3chl3ts
    t3chl3ts Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow...just wow, KilikiMom.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about regarding medicine and morbid obesity and its causes.

So much for this program being a positive environment to get fit.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I have taken quite a few flights on small planes (30 passenger, greyhound bus with wings size) and have never not watched as the flight staff rearrange people to redistribute weight. If a plane is that sensitive to weight distribution, it absolutely makes sense to ensure that the total weight on the plane does not exceed the weight capacity of that plane. I'm assuming this sort of thing is built into the number of seats on the planes to begin with, but a heavier plane takes more fuel than a light one. I don't think it's unfair to ask that those who are contributing most to the weight on the plane (via luggage, body weight or both) should pay an additional fee/amount. Otherwise, the additional fuel costs will be distributed amongst all passengers. It's not different (in my opinion) from those with bad driving records paying a higher insurance premium. If you're contributing to the reason for he high costs, yeah I think you should be forking over some on the front end (air travel, insurance or otherwise).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Great idea! The vast majority of people living there are obese. Hit them where it hurts (the wallet) and maybe their poor habits will change. It worked for smokers.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I saw this on my local news website this am and nearly flipped my lid : Samoa Air is now weighing passengers and their baggage, and rates start at $1 per kilo (about 2.2 pounds). The airline's website prompts fliers to "guesstimate" their weight when booking and prepay that amount. If you're off, though, no worries! They'll weigh you to double-check when you get to the airport.

Thoughts?

I like in Alaska, flying to the rural areas you have to give them an accurate weight and use to giving my weight to airline. Thought I have never had to pay extra for my weight, it would not surprise me to have to pay extra if an obese person were to fly since the 10 person plane can only hold so much weight.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Is this writer being too soft on individual responsibility?

"Obesity is not simply a matter of laziness, overindulgence or lack of will power. It is a result of complex and diverse drivers of weight gain, including genetics, medications, stress, depression, addictions, eating and sleeping disorders and gut bugs – to name just a few."

The obese already pay more. Why shame them with higher air fares?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/the-obese-already-pay-more-why-shame-them-with-higher-air-fares/article10934025/

Do doctors let too many patients get off the hook?

"International airlines such as Air Canada address this issue more amicably: Because the airline considers obesity a medical condition, it provides overweight passengers with a free extra seat as long as they present a doctor's note."

Who Is Too Fat To Fly? Airlines Are Working It Out
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/us-news-travel/too-fat-to-fly_b_2101347.html
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    While the below is about airlines and weight, it's not the subject that was originally mentioned. These are all ideas for larger airlines. What this subject is about is very small airlines and planes and a company that is doing it. An article about it is here:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/samoa-airline-to-charge-passengers-by-weight-1.1221891
    Is this writer being too soft on individual responsibility?

"Obesity is not simply a matter of laziness, overindulgence or lack of will power. It is a result of complex and diverse drivers of weight gain, including genetics, medications, stress, depression, addictions, eating and sleeping disorders and gut bugs – to name just a few."

The obese already pay more. Why shame them with higher air fares?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/the-obese-already-pay-more-why-shame-them-with-higher-air-fares/article10934025/

Do doctors let too many patients get off the hook?

"International airlines such as Air Canada address this issue more amicably: Because the airline considers obesity a medical condition, it provides overweight passengers with a free extra seat as long as they present a doctor's note."

Who Is Too Fat To Fly? Airlines Are Working It Out
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/us-news-travel/too-fat-to-fly_b_2101347.html
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    "Lol, it's Samoa Airlines? Probably makes sense since most people flying it are Samoans who have some of the "biggest" genetics in the world. Not uncommon to see a 16 year old male weigh 200lbs or more."

This is so true, I worked with an entire family of Samoa's, while they love to eat, and make DELISH food!! They also were not shy about being large people. The girls I worked with loved how large they were, which is great to have confidence and love yourself, but I would be worried about the health risk of obesity...