WTF? air line to charge by weight of CUSTOMER

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If the cost of an airline ticket was based on my weight, I'd be paying about half the price of what I pay now. That would save me a ton of money! Literally.
    Seriously, right?

I think they have to be suggesting this as be an additional charge over and above some kind of regular rate based on distance, etc...because if you look at the original post, its implying that a 400 lb person would be paying around $200 for the same flight that a 100 lb person would pay $50 for. There's no way anyone is flying anywhere for $50...regardless of what they weigh
    (heck, an extra suitcase costs $50 to bring along now).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Logically speaking, that is how the cost of transportation is calculated for any other business. If you are a farmer selling ears of corn and you need to hire a company to transport the corn someplace, you pay by the pound. The other option is paying by volume. If you sell feathers, you pay by the cubic yard.

Why should transportation of airline passengers be any different? It seems like the absolutely most fair way to charge fees based on the expense of transport. On the plus side, kids will be really cheap!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Other airlines are considering it too. I read an article about a Norwegian airline that is considering it.

I would say as long as the seats are adjustable to accomodate the larger person who is paying for more space, then go for it. I fly often and dred getting stuck between 2 people who are too large for the alotted seat size. It isn't just about a large person's right to fly or not be discriminated against. A smaller person has rights too. They shouldn't have to be uncomfortable because someone is spilling out of thier seat.

THIS^^
    Even at my biggest I used to stand on the bus instead of trying to sit down unless I was absolutely sure that there was enough room for me on the seat! My boyfriend who is a very small guy tells me horror stories all the time about larger people almost sitting on him.. and now that I am down 50 lbs they are starting to do it to me too :(
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Sounds fair to me.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I think the only people who would be offended by this are the overly obese. If they only charged by the pound and nothing else, people would get cheap flights.

<---obese
    <---not offended. True it can be embarrassing, but having too much weight causes fuel usage to increase. They weigh the baggage for that reason, why not the people? Sure, it might be embarrassing, but I'm sure they can think of a discreet way to do so--though I doubt they will, unfortunately.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Great idea! The vast majority of people living there are obese. Hit them where it hurts (the wallet) and maybe their poor habits will change. It worked for smokers.

Its not about promoting weight loss, its about the cost to fly a heavier plane.

I think its a good idea.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    It takes away the appearance of arbitrarily making some people buy two seats. Those people said they were targeted, thus if everyone discloses their weight it will help the airlines not get sued, which you and I pay for anyway.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This could probably be successfully challenged in court. You can order people to all bring the SAME amount of luggage (i.e. a maximum weight of luggage- equal treatmenet) but you can't treat individuals differently, particularly if it could be proven that a heavy enough person would be charged a prohibitive amount and be unable to fly. People have the liberty to be heavy, whether you agree with their choice or not.

Err, sorry, lawyer. Carry on.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My take is that they figure they will end up with a higher level of profit by charging by weight. They are not losing money because too many overweight people are flying.
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    I read about this a few weeks ago, I was suprised anyone I told didnt seem to be bothered. I think its horrible that they want to signle out people to pick on. Itsnt it just another form of racisim?
    What about the fact that muscle weighs more than fat? The whole idea is terrible in my opinion. And it can only help people to become depressed about their weight from public humiliaton.
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm sure just about anything nowadys can be contested in court w/ our litigious society but is it right to demand the post office ship packages that weigh 1 lb for the same price as ones that weighs 50 lbs?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This could probably be successfully challenged in court. You can order people to all bring the SAME amount of luggage (i.e. a maximum weight of luggage- equal treatmenet) but you can't treat individuals differently, particularly if it could be proven that a heavy enough person would be charged a prohibitive amount and be unable to fly. People have the liberty to be heavy, whether you agree with their choice or not.

Err, sorry, lawyer. Carry on.

The weight includes the luggage as well and everything they carry on so its not just down to the individual.
    Where I am weight isn't a protected status and airlines are privately operated so I don't know how successful a suit would be here. Of course that will depend on where you are.
    And as mentioned earlier, the airline doing this runs very small aircrafts where weight plays a huge factor. It's not about space, it's about weight.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    I read about this a few weeks ago, I was suprised anyone I told didnt seem to be bothered. I think its horrible that they want to signle out people to pick on. Itsnt it just another form of racisim?
    What about the fact that muscle weighs more than fat? The whole idea is terrible in my opinion. And it can only help people to become depressed about their weight from public humiliaton.

You're on to something here...the parallels to transportation-related laws during the Jim Crow period are endless.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Racism has to do with race, not size. Please stop saying this a form of racism (saw that a lot on the other thread about this as well). Fat white people and thin white people are the same race. Fat black people and thin black people are the same race. Get my point?
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The only reason I think it is wrong is for people who are extremely tall. Being tall is not a choice. Everything else? well.......
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    Racism has to do with race, not size. Please stop saying this a form of racism (saw that a lot on the other thread about this as well). Fat white people and thin white people are the same race. Fat black people and thin black people are the same race. Get my point?

I'm talking legal comparisons, not calling it "racism." Obviously racism is about race! But if you're envisioning how this would be portrayed in various legal scenarios, there was a strong transportation component to many racist laws, all of which had alternative justifications at the time (safety, cost, propriety) similar to how the airline might claim it is about safety and costs.

Very different social issues, no doubt. But I can really see some potential legal comparisons. I'm not sure which way I would land...but the challenge will no doubt arise if this becomes the practice on any popular airline.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You're on to something here...the parallels to transportation-related laws during the Jim Crow period are endless.

It's not singling out "fat". Taller people, people with a lot of muscle will be subject to it, just as people who choose to pack a lot of extra clothes. This wasnt introduced as a way to curb obesity or to deal with space issues, it's about the weight added to the plane, not just the person but everything on them and with them.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options

It's not singling out "fat". Taller people, people with a lot of muscle will be subject to it, just as people who choose to pack a lot of extra clothes. This wasnt introduced as a way to curb obesity or to deal with space issues, it's about the weight added to the plane, not just the person but everything on them and with them.

I agree I don't think its about fat necessarily but it will be about the weight of the person because luggage is already regulated across the board. Certainly not just about "Fat" though....I mean, I shudder to think of the poor 6'6" men who are already scrunching their legs into seats and now will have to pay a fortune to do so. In fact, a "perfect plaintiff" would probably be more likely to be someone in that circumstance. At least, if I were picking them!
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options

^ This exactly.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

No it is not just another form of racism, it is a consequence of a choice...the choice to be fat. I don't have a problem with charging by weight. Fat people on planes cause fuel costs to rise (subsidized by our skinnier friends), make seating difficult and uncomfortable for neighbors, and could potentially present a safety risk in the event of emergency evacuation. On a recent flight I sat next to someone who was morbidly obese for 4 hours. Took up her seat and half of mine. The plane was full so there was no chance I could get moved. It was very uncomfortable. She needed to buy two seats since she borrowed half of mine for free. Having said all this, I would not be the cheapest ticket on the plane either, but fair is fair...use more space, use more fuel, pay more.