Fitbit One...

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, this is one of my trigger topics :laugh:

Lol, well that only a little apparent, lol. So do you feel they are off on the low end of calorie burn or high end...the HRM gives you to many calories burned or not enough?

Depends entirely on the person and the exercise. I've seen some genuinely ridiculous posts like "my HRM told me I burned 1200 calories walking 2.5 miles" but I've also seen some people complain that their HRMs are giving them half of what they think it should. It can vary for a given person from exercise to exercise; it might vastly overestimate calories burned while lifting but underestimate calories burned while running, for instance. There's just too much variability IMO. Heart rate monitors are good for tracking heart rate, which is a great thing for people focused on performance. They're just not good at tracking calories burned.

Again, this is just my opinion.
  • dpyy
    dpyy Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, and it definitely counts the stairs.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes! Wait for the FitBit Flex! It comes out May 15 and its like a wrist band that will track your sleep as well!

I looked at the flex but it doesn't track stairs.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I want one but not sure if I can dish that kind of cash out
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Lol, well that only a little apparent, lol. So do you feel they are off on the low end of calorie burn or high end...the HRM gives you to many calories burned or not enough?

Depends entirely on the person and the exercise. I've seen some genuinely ridiculous posts like "my HRM told me I burned 1200 calories walking 2.5 miles" but I've also seen some people complain that their HRMs are giving them half of what they think it should. It can vary for a given person from exercise to exercise; it might vastly overestimate calories burned while lifting but underestimate calories burned while running, for instance. There's just too much variability IMO. Heart rate monitors are good for tracking heart rate, which is a great thing for people focused on performance. They're just not good at tracking calories burned.

Again, this is just my opinion.

It's an interesting point of view/opinion and I always like reading opinions. I "think" my HRM is decently accurate. I've never had any crazy readings from it or a calorie burn that I didn't feel was close to accurate. I guess some could be low...like for lifting...but even that I think is not completely out the window. It says I usually burn just over 100 calories for 35 minutes of lifting (doing SL 5x5). I don't think that's to far off but I could be wrong.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Ultra *older model* and FitBit One track stairs. I have the Ultra and I love it. I like that the One has a bluetooth sync so it can update during the day as I'm away from my computer until 6pm.

I'd sync FitBit with MFP and track the exercise (paying attention to the times) and it will take care of the rest.

It's worth the $100 easily and their customer support is amazing.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes! Wait for the FitBit Flex! It comes out May 15 and its like a wrist band that will track your sleep as well!

Ultra and One track your sleep.
    I think the flex looks ugly (my opinion) and its less stealthy. No one knows I have a pedometer on me at all times cause its hidden in my bra.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

lol...

I don't have a FitBit One yet but I hope to get one. None of the trackers are going to be 100% accurate but that doesn't make them useless. If you use one consistently and it encourages you to be more active then it will most likely be worth the money. If you don't use it consistently and/or don't use it to be more active then it would not be worth a dime.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I really like mine! I like that it has a read out I can look at on the device since I don't have one of the phones it can sync too. I like that I can hide it in my bra and it still track. I get higher step counts with it on my hip but there's not enough variance that I'd feel cheated by wearing it in my bra.

Like another poster said I have a desk job and set mini challenges for myself- so many steps before noon and I find myself volunteering to take stuff upstairs. And I do think that none of these gadgets or tracers are gonig to be 100% but it's a tool to draw you a better picture. Just like MFP- I mean if I roast two potatoes and an onion and you roast two potatoes and an onion we'll probably come up with different caloric values for the entire dish- but it would be relatively close. And if the fitbit is pretty close then it's done it's job. Also for me, when I've gone out for walks or use an exercise DVD the mileage that the FB comes up with is within a tenth of google maps for the same rout and the calculated burn for the DVD is within about 15 calories of using my average heart rate to figure calories burned.

I think anything that can help you visualize your activity and get real feed back can only help a person become more active.
  • Endman
    Endman Posts: 894
    Options
    So everyone thinks they are worth the $100?
    I love mine. Wear it almost everyday and I sleep with it in the wrist thing too. You just have to be careful about not losing it. So far mine has only dropped on the ground once (knock on wood) and I luckily heard it when it fell. The gummy holster is not the most secure.
  • Endman
    Endman Posts: 894
    Options
    Well, I ordered 1. It should be here next week sometime so hopefully I'll be happy with it. I'm really curious what it will put me at for calories burnt though the day as opposed to the online calculators. Did you find it to be lose to the same or a fair difference?

I found that it generally comes in pretty close to what I'd otherwise calculate for a day. It's fun, it's motivating, and it removes a lot of "let's try to guesstimate the calories for this exercise" headaches.

I don't ever really play the " let's try to guesstimate the calories for this exercise" game because I always wear my HRM when I'm doing actual exercise. I'm wanting it more for telling me what I burn through out the day doing my job and living. :smile:
    I have a HRM also but I ONLY go by what the Fitbit tells me. It is MUCH easier that way.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Well, I ordered 1. It should be here next week sometime so hopefully I'll be happy with it. I'm really curious what it will put me at for calories burnt though the day as opposed to the online calculators. Did you find it to be lose to the same or a fair difference?

I don't think the calories burnt match even close to what my calories burnt really are - example, I can run 15 miles and the FitBit will say 400 calories, but my HR (mine doesn't give calories burned) used in an online calculator, taking age, weight, other factors into place will be 1500 or so, I know I burned more than 400 calories in an over 2 hour run. But the fit bit, assumed that I walked it at a normal no HR pace.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I can run 15 miles and the FitBit will say 400 calories, but my HR (mine doesn't give calories burned) used in an online calculator, taking age, weight, other factors into place will be 1500 or so, I know I burned more than 400 calories in an over 2 hour run. But the fit bit, assumed that I walked it at a normal no HR pace.

So you're saying you actually ran 15 miles one day and your FitBit said 400 calories?

If so, your Fitbit is horribly defective.

Your statement that the FitBit would "assume I walked it at a normal place" is completely nonsensical. It's 100% absolutely and unequivocally wrong.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I can run 15 miles and the FitBit will say 400 calories, but my HR (mine doesn't give calories burned) used in an online calculator, taking age, weight, other factors into place will be 1500 or so, I know I burned more than 400 calories in an over 2 hour run. But the fit bit, assumed that I walked it at a normal no HR pace.

So you're saying you actually ran 15 miles one day and your FitBit said 400 calories?

If so, your Fitbit is horribly defective.

Your statement that the FitBit would "assume I walked it at a normal place" is completely nonsensical. It's 100% absolutely and unequivocally wrong.

Yes, my fitbit doesn't account for any extra calories when I run with it with me. It counts steps, but it doesn't add extra calories. See why I don't find the usefullness about it. I asked on the FitBit board, and emails to technical support, and they explained it to me that it doesn't know what type of activity I'm doing so it doesn't account for it that way.

Another thing mine does it is constantly is turning on the a stopwatch all on it's own. I have emailed, they tell me to reset it - I do and it does it again a couple weeks later. Constantly looking at it to find it in stop watch mode. And if I log my activity here on MFP instead of on FitBit website, then my "activity" doesn't register in my totals on there. They told me the only solution was to "unlink" my accounts. I mainly got it because the accounts linked.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Your Fitbit is horribly broken and you should replace it with one that works.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am looking into getting one too, but would love to get some feedback. :)
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just bought one today, was pretty surprised that out the box it said I burned 1125 calories, but after doing some research, that seems to be an estimate of how much I would have burned today if I did nothing at all.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a more detailed report, but so far I am loving it. I tested it by going up a flight of stairs to my apt and sure enough it acknowledged the fact I climbed one flight.
  • diane1223
    diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes, worth 100 dollars! Love mine!
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When I run I use the stop watch function so it knows I am running

I also set my stride because I am short and their stride was off for me

If you travel bumpy roads with lots of hills I log the time I was in the car and fitbit adjusts my steps and stairs and mileage to what it should be ( I get lots of stairs when I drive threw the valley to work lol)
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Sorry how do you adjust for the car ride exactly? You stopwatch it.. then what do you do on their fitbit website to take off the steps and levels?