How THE hell do you stretch the arch of your foot?

Options
Seriously. Any ideas?

Replies

• truewheelbmx
    Options
    NOPE!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by THE strange emPHASis on this POST.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Roll it on a tennis ball?
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Calf stretch should stretch it
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Roll your food over a bottle full of ice. Or a tennis ball.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Stand on your tip toes. Also you can stand on the edge of a step and force your heels down as far as they will go and then go on tip toe. Repeat slowly. It will also tone your calves.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Usually calf stretches will stretch it... I have found that lacing my shoes a little looser alleviates the tendency for my arches to get tense...
  • AboutT1ME
    AboutT1ME Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    rolling pin. because no one uses them for anything else anymore.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    golf ball
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Go from FLEX to POINTING your foot. Gently Pull your toes back when flexing as tolerated.

Put a canned food item in freezer then roll your foot over it when frozen (or at least cold). Tennis ball woudl work too.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Cross your ankle over your opposite knee, flex your foot and then pull the toes of your foot towards your knee (the knee of the foot you are stretching).

Like this:

th?id=H.4849001861153221&pid=1.7&w=177&h=152&c=7&rs=1
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

:huh: yuck! I use mine all the time for pizza dough!!
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Look up some ballet videos on stretching your feet on youtube, there's a bunch of tutorials.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try flexing your toes so the bottoms of your toes are facing the ceiling if you are sitting on the ground, assist with your hand as necessary. Keep the toes flexed and point the ball of your foot inward toward your other leg and then the opposite direction. Or standing place the ball of your foot on the ground a few inches behind you lift the heel up and move the foot from side to side with weight on the ball of the foot.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    YES, this is a method used by riders to help keep their heels down. It works great. Find a staircase, or at least a cement block or something, stand on it on the ball of your foot, sink down into the heel and back up, flexing the arch of your foot. Do it 10 or 12 times whenever you take the stairs. Plantar problems? This is a good cure.
  • truewheelbmx
    Options

haha Like^^^
  • MRMCCRACKEN
    Options
    I seriously had to learn to do this because of a heel spur. You can put a belt or something like that around the ball of your foot - sitting in a chair and pull towards you. Also, you can use the edge of a stair, stand with just the ball of your foot on the edge, then raise and lower your heel. They also sell a boot especially for this reason. It looks like a walking cast, but it is for wearing while in bed, it puts your foot in a flexed position. Not too uncomfortable when you get used to it.
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Roll your food over a bottle full of ice. Or a tennis ball.

What she said, per my Orthopedic foot doctor.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Foam roller, tennis ball, or golf ball. Not a "stretch" as much as it is a massage, but gets the job done.
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I roll my foot on a can of vegetables before bed and in the morning when I get up. I have suffered severe plantar fasciitis in the past and this has worked wonders.