I HATE EATING AFTER THE GYM

Options
I burn about 1100 calories alone doing cardio, Im not sure about how many when I lift my weights and everything. I get of work around 5 pm, go to the gym for a bout 2-3 hours (I swim and do the hot tub deal) but when Im home I feel like I havent ate all day which I did. I just get irritated when I get home after the gym and eat basically dinner. I just hate it and Im ranting. lol What are the things that you eat after a work out?

Replies

• smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just a protein shake. I usually can't eat after a workout. So I drink it. Then I'll usually eat around 3 hours later.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Depends what I do-if I run or do any cardio, I'm never hungry for at least 2 or more hours. If it's weights, I'll be hungry as soon as I'm done so I'll either grab a protein shake before I head to the gym or a bar so I can have that as I drive home then take time to cook dinner.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    3 hr workouts.... man that's a lot. I would be ravenous. I know after our 2hr speed practices I am ready to shovel down some food. I usually down a protein shake that has a little carbs to curb the body's catabolic stage and help with protein synthesis. When I get home (30-45min later) I will eat a decent meal.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by your post.

You don't like eating at all, or you don't like what it is that you are eating?
  • I usually eat my dinner between 9:30 - 10:30 pm... I feel no guilt about it and I eat a real real meal - rice & meat...
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I can't fathom the words "hate" and "eating" when used in the same paragraph.
  • 04sprj0
    04sprj0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have to eat after a workout so that your muscles replenish themselves. Your muscles will become depleted and damaged in the short run but will repair when you fuel them again, otherwise they will break down in order for you to refuel. Eat protein, drink milk and take fish oils to help with DOMS and reduce inflammation.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Why do you hate eating dinner after working out? I run 4 miles + do Insanity in the evenings, so I'm super crazy hungry when I get done. I have 6 meals a day (1800 calories total) and one meal is after I finish working out, usually around 10:00PM. The time of day that you eat doesn't make a difference, the total calories (if you're only worried about weight) and total macros (if you are focusing more on composition) is what makes the difference.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do you not like eating because it's late and your appetite is suppressed, or because you don't want to "undo" your efforts?

If it's the first, try shifting your day so that your largest meal is mid-day, and then have something light when you're done - a protein shake or smoothie, hb eggs, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I too find this odd...I don't do nearly as much...my strength program takes me about 30-45 minutes and I'm ravenous within an hour of leaving the gym.
  • Gheaden35
    Options
    I usually have Greek Yogurt and Banana..
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You have to eat after a workout so that your muscles replenish themselves. Your muscles will become depleted and damaged in the short run but will repair when you fuel them again, otherwise they will break down in order for you to refuel. Eat protein, drink milk and take fish oils to help with DOMS and reduce inflammation.

This. Eat a protein snack after your workouts. Protein shake or nuts, some meat, cheese, eggs, anything really. Then you can eat dinner later.

I usually have nuts, lunch meat, boiled eggs, or cheese or a Clif bar with me so i can Nom right after I'm done working out.
    I can tell the difference when I do this and when I dont.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If she took care of you too, maybe you wouldn't hate eating so much?

Drink a protein shake though :flowerforyou:
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    I feel like I put in so much work just to eat and look fat again.... I think is psycological at this point. hahaha :laugh:
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    Do you not like eating because it's late and your appetite is suppressed, or because you don't want to "undo" your efforts?

If it's the first, try shifting your day so that your largest meal is mid-day, and then have something light when you're done - a protein shake or smoothie, hb eggs, etc.

YOU GET IT!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    Lol Me either, but its true. lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    now really? who the hell eats after a workout??
    DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHISKEY!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Then don't...
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Anything