Yummy "Baked Potato"

Options
BajaDreamin333
BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
Obviously baked potatoes are on the naughty list for those of us trying to eat right and make every calorie count from a nutrition standpoint. I found a great alternative, and it can make an easy lunch too.

Bake a sweet potato or yam just like you would a regular Russet potato.
Instead of butter and sour cream, top it with a couple of wedges of Laughing Cow cheese. It gets all melty just like butter, and gives it a creamy texture and flavor. Sweet potatoes and yams are in the good part of the glycemic index, so they're considered "good" carbs.

Calories: 170
Fat; 4 grams

I had it with some cut up turkey, and it almost tased like Thanksgiving!

Really easy to bake more than one at night for lunches the rest of the week. Microwave it first, add the cheese after it's hot. Pretty darn satisfying for 170 calories.

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1 medium sized baked potato is 150 calories. i fail to see why this would fall on a "naughty list". it's cheap, filling, and not many calories. it's a good complex carb. and when not fried it's very healthy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I hate sweet potatoes, and eat white potatoes all the time. It didn't interfere with me losing 87 lbs.

How do you explain my weight loss if white potatoes are on the 'naughty list'?
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    1 medium sized baked potato is 150 calories. i fail to see why this would fall on a "naughty list". it's cheap, filling, and not many calories. it's a good complex carb. and when not fried it's very healthy.

I think her point is the extra butter and sour cream we all love adds a lot of fat and calories.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options

Ditto. Maybe not quite the nutritional gem that is a sweet potato, but it still has plenty of vitamins and minerals, especially if you eat the skin. I even put a small amount of real butter on mine.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I think her point is the extra butter and sour cream we all love adds a lot of fat and calories.

Perhaps that is her point. But is a processed food like Laughing cow really that much better? You can still add butter and sour cream, in small doses, for the calories in a couple wedges of LC.

Having said that, I love LC. Just making a point.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I eat either a sweet potato or red potato almost everyday for dinner. I don't consider it be on any list, good or bad. If you load it up with garbage like butter or sour cream, then it's garbage. If you put healthy things like salsa or fat free greek yogurt, it can be a staple in your diet.

Just like controlling portions, you need to control the things you add to your food. Potatoes are actually a very good source of carbs if you know what you're doing when you prepare them.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Actually she didn't mention that at all...she said a sweet potato was ok while a white potato is "naughty"... which it is not.
  • Jonette01
    Jonette01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know it's cliche but too much of anything (sweet potatoes and laughing cow cheese included...even too much water) could be bad for you. The problem with Americans - myself as well - is PORTION CONTROL! We eat in one meal what most countries eat all day. But I totally get what the OP is saying... neat twist on a classic fave.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are yummy and good for you, not bad. It is all the fat laden stuff that goes on them that is the problem. I eat baked potates frequently, I just put veggies and salsa on them instead of butter, cheese and sour cream.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I used to hate sweet taters, but I have changed and they are awesome. They don't need anything. Cook in an oven and EAT!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Obviously baked potatoes are on the naughty list for those of us trying to eat right and make every calorie count from a nutrition standpoint. I found a great alternative, and it can make an easy lunch too.

Bake a sweet potato or yam just like you would a regular Russet potato.
    Instead of butter and sour cream, top it with a couple of wedges of Laughing Cow cheese. It gets all melty just like butter, and gives it a creamy texture and flavor. Sweet potatoes and yams are in the good part of the glycemic index, so they're considered "good" carbs.

Calories: 170
    Fat; 4 grams

I had it with some cut up turkey, and it almost tased like Thanksgiving!

Really easy to bake more than one at night for lunches the rest of the week. Microwave it first, add the cheese after it's hot. Pretty darn satisfying for 170 calories.

Wait, what? Baked potatoes are VERY healthy. And how is this a recipe?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    <
    Eating a giant baked Russet Potato with Steak tonight. Nobody puts taters on the naughty list.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The problem with Americans

Those WASCAWWY Americans!!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy... if you plan your meals you can still enjoy a loaded baked potato. Laughing Cow is good but I'd rather budget in some butter calories!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Will you spank me if I eat it?
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Nothing naughty about white potatos. The ones I eat are only 110 calories. I have never been the type to add butter to things and I dont like sour cream. Like others have said, its about all the extras you add to foods and the portion sizes that can be "naughty".

I actually add red wine vinegar and onion flakes to my white potatos. Yummy :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are yummy and good for you, not bad. It is all the fat laden stuff that goes on them that is the problem. I eat baked potates frequently, I just put veggies and salsa on them instead of butter, cheese and sour cream.

puke-in-my-mouth-o_zps17389972.gif

I'll stick with the cheese, butter, and sour cream. Maybe the salsa could work.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    So much drama over a potato post. Get a life people!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Thank you for scolding people on the itnernets :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I'm sorry. What exactly is the drama about telling someone that they are spreading inaccurate nutrition information?