Yummy "Baked Potato"

Options

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    What did poor potato do to make it on the "naughty list"?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What did poor potato do to make it on the "naughty list"?

It melted the butter, that bast*ard.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I understand everyone is trying to "educate" the OP, but what it really seems like is y'all are just jumping all over her. How about being a little more constructive in your education?

I think the OP is generally under the impression that the white potato is full of starchy carbs and usually people do not eat the skin whitle the sweet potato is made of a more complex carb. I am, of course, making an assumption here.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5692410_nutrition-sweet-potato-white-potato.html
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    So much drama over a potato post. Get a life people!

Thank you for scolding people on the itnernets :flowerforyou:

And for adding nothing to the discussion! :drinker:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Nutrition facts of white potato

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2551/2

Nutrition facts for sweet potato

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2

They're practically identical.

The sweet potato has more vitamin A and 2 mg more Vitamin C

The white potato has slightly more vitamin k

The white potato has far more folate and choline
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I understand everyone is trying to "educate" the OP, but what it really seems like is y'all are just jumping all over her. How about being a little more constructive in your education?

I think the OP is generally under the impression that the white potato is full of starchy carbs and usually people do not eat the skin whitle the sweet potato is made of a more complex carb. I am, of course, making an assumption here.

LOL! How is a sweet potato a more complex carb than a white potato? There are only simple carbs and complex carbs.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Nobody puts Tater in the corner!:angry:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I eat either a sweet potato or red potato almost everyday for dinner. I don't consider it be on any list, good or bad. If you load it up with garbage like butter or sour cream, then it's garbage. If you put healthy things like salsa or fat free greek yogurt, it can be a staple in your diet.

Just like controlling portions, you need to control the things you add to your food. Potatoes are actually a very good source of carbs if you know what you're doing when you prepare them.

Why is butter and sour cream garbage? O.o.

Really, what's with all this food shaming? It's really sad. Potatoes are a great source of potassium. Butter has good fats that you need. Sour cream is a source of calcium and fats.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Every time someone puts a recipe item in "quotes", God makes someone fall off a treadmill...

9ac9040e490e5c47e75e7abeb9c0b4a2-guy-stumbles-on-treadmill-loses-pants.gif
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Every time someone puts a recipe item in "quotes", God makes someone fall off a treadmill...

I was wondering about the quotes myself. Usually that implies it isn't the real thing. But it's still a potato, and it's baked, so.....yea.
  • odusgolp
    Options

My word that's funny *LOL*
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    White potatoes are also a nightshade. Sweet potatoes are not.

Nightshades (like potato, tomato and eggplant, to name a few) contain solanine, a glycoalkaloid toxin that causes gastrointestinal and neurological symptoms in people that are sensitive.

Personally, I get IBS symptoms when I eat potatoes and arthritis like symptoms in my fingers with tomatoes. So they are on my "naughty list."
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Nobody puts Tater in the corner!:angry:

I am with you and Tater, get Tater out of the corner and EAT IT, nothing wrong with TATER i lurrrrve it with butter, grated cheese or just some veggies yum yum yum
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Mine arent on the naughty list
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Rolf
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options

This.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there are topics that just crack me up and this is one of them.

A potato is a vegetable and is a healthy source of nutrition and fibre...I would imagine (I have not done research) but if you eat container loads of them each day you may have a problem??

It is always a good thing to add recipes to help others with nutrition and healthy alternatives but please don`t alienate the good potato?
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    :huh:

Since when is sour cream, butter (real butter, not margarine), and cheese bad for you? Yes they contain fats but they are HEALTHY fats that are absolutely essential. I understand it can really add up in calories but if you have the extra calories and/or don't go overboard & really "load" it down, then its not bad. I think so many people on MFP are confused about fats and think they are bad but that is so not true. Not all fats are created equally. Same with white potatoes. Again, I understand the carbs are a bit high (same goes for sweet potatoes too though) and if you're like me and eating low-carb then it should only be in moderation but aside from that white potatoes are healthy as well.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Rolf

This is hilarious he even lost his pants.

About Taters
    I have re put potatoes on my list of good foods.
    I love red potatoes. Protein, Fiber and Potassium.
    Had 2 small ones with salmon and salsa for dinner last night. Nom Nom.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Sometimes there are topics that just crack me up and this is one of them.

A potato is a vegetable ...

And thus starts a whole new MFP argument....