3 weeks dieting/exercising and I gained weight. :(

Options
2»

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody. So my main question is...
    if my BMR is 1600, do I manually set the goal on MFP and it adjusts the rest of the values? I think that is what I should do.

Yes, just manually change the goal to about 1800 and that should probably be pretty close to right.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster said...read the following several times...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Then you will know...
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with her diary. The only thing that matters is how many calories she is consuming. OP, make sure you eat 1200 calories - be really strict with yourself about it. Don't eat back exercise calories unless you have to (lightheaded, starving to death, etc.). I promise it will work but you have to be dedicated. It's the only way to lose weight quickly (if that is indeed what you're seeking).

AKA... Ignore TDEE nonsense and road map nonsense and clean eating nonsense.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with her diary. The only thing that matters is how many calories she is consuming. OP, make sure you eat 1200 calories - be really strict with yourself about it. Don't eat back exercise calories unless you have to (lightheaded, starving to death, etc.). I promise it will work but you have to be dedicated. It's the only way to lose weight quickly (if that is indeed what you're seeking).

^^^ Bad Advice ^^^
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

^^^ Bad Advice ^^^

I agree that it's bad advice! I eat 1500-2200 cals a day and am easily losing weight even though I am in a healthy BMI range now. I would HATE to eat so little food when I can lose weight just as easy (or easier!) than eating virtually nothing.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options

:noway:

I guess I can only share my own personal experience, but I was eating 1200 Calories, and it was just not working at all for me. I was not losing weight, and was very unhappy. I did a little research, upped my calories, and have been much happier (and skinnier) since.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

...No. Do not do that.
    1200 is a low and arbitrary number. It's fine for some people, particularly very small people or people with underlying medical conditions. MFP sometimes assigns it to people if they don't have a lot to lose but plug in an aggressive 2 lbs loss per week. But even then, MFP intends for you to eat your exercise calories back. You shouldn't net below 1200 calories unless a doctor prescribes it and monitors your macros and weight loss.

I agree that it only matters how many calories you are consuming. Calories in vs. calories out seems to be working fine for me. I do try to make healthy choices, but I don't freak out about having a couple slices of pizza every now and then.

BUT, if you know your BMR is around 1600, you should net at least that amount. Some people with unpredictable schedules prefer not to use the roadmap because their activity varies too much. What they do instead is eat slightly above their BMR and then eat all of their exercise calories back on top of that. I follow MFP's recommendations for a 1.5 lb loss per week and eat back my exercise calories, but when I compare it to the roadmap, there isn't a huge difference in numbers. With working so much, you may be underestimating your activity level.

Quality of sleep and stress levels can also affect weight loss.
  • beautifuldiskize
    Options
    Make sure you weight yourself as soon as you wake up in the morning, after you've peed. That's when it's accurate.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster said...read the following several times...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Then you will know...

Yes, I bookmarked that page! On a night where I have a good hour or so to REALLY read it and understand it, I will read it... and take notes for myself. This is just a bad time in the week for me! Hopefully this weekend, when I actually have an afternoon off, I can read it over. :)

...No. Do not do that.
    1200 is a low and arbitrary number. It's fine for some people, particularly very small people or people with underlying medical conditions. MFP sometimes assigns it to people if they don't have a lot to lose but plug in an aggressive 2 lbs loss per week. But even then, MFP intends for you to eat your exercise calories back. You shouldn't net below 1200 calories unless a doctor prescribes it and monitors your macros and weight loss.

I agree that it only matters how many calories you are consuming. Calories in vs. calories out seems to be working fine for me. I do try to make healthy choices, but I don't freak out about having a couple slices of pizza every now and then.

BUT, if you know your BMR is around 1600, you should net at least that amount. Some people with unpredictable schedules prefer not to use the roadmap because their activity varies too much. What they do instead is eat slightly above their BMR and then eat all of their exercise calories back on top of that. I follow MFP's recommendations for a 1.5 lb loss per week and eat back my exercise calories, but when I compare it to the roadmap, there isn't a huge difference in numbers. With working so much, you may be underestimating your activity level.

Quality of sleep and stress levels can also affect weight loss.

When I do get to sleep, it's usually solid and unbroken. However, it depends on a 3 hour nap in between shifts, or a good 8-12 hour sleep on a night off. I got 5 hours last night, and I'm hoping to get 4 hours tonight. I am off tomorrow night but have tons of homework to catch up on. I wouldn't say I'm stressed... just always busy and occupied. And I did eat some pizza the other night, and still managed to be around my calorie limit, lol. I hadn't had pizza for almost a month before that!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

*slaps* you are stupid and promoting an ED and unhealthy behaviour. If you have light headedness and aren't eating enough, your body eats your MUSCLES and you LOSE MUSCLE - who wants that?

Your heart is a muscle by the way :) so need to keep muscles healthy and fed well.

Of course if you are exercising and eating only 1200 you are actually starving your body from so much calorie loss and you will lose. NOT FAT. YOU WILL LOSE MUSCLE and f*** up your body.

edit: I used to eat 1200 + eat back, and didn't lose anything. When I started exercising MORE and eating MORE I lost. Now I exercise most days and eat close to 2000 on my big cardio/weights days. I have hypothyroid so it shows how each case is different, but eating more is always the answer on MFP.