How often do you weigh?

Options
I had the problem before of weighing too often and getting discouraged by scale not changing very much or not as much as I thought, so I don't want to weigh too often. But then on the other hand I want to know if I am losing weight to make sure what I am doing is working and if not I can try something else.

How often do you weigh?

How do you keep yourself from getting discouraged if the scale hasn't changed?

(I won't be working out much for now, so I can't use the ol' gaining muscle excuse.)

How long would it take to see if a diet is working? 3 days? A week?

(Right now I am focusing on eating smaller portions of everyday food, getting more healthy options and staying under my calorie and fat goal, by diet I guess I mean the types of food I am eating not necessarily diet plans like low carb or anything like that.)

Replies

• olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning.

I don't place as much value in the scale as I do my measurements. At a pound/week, I realize it's going to take a while and I need to be patient and look at the "average" weightloss over time.

Good luck.

BTW....I've lost 15 pounds in 13 weeks.:smile:
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on the same day.

I do get discouraged, but I also try to think, "okay, I've been eating better and working out. Maybe I lost weight fat and gain muscle so that's why it hasn't budged."
  • su1ank7huna
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I find weighing more often is sometimes discouraging . I weigh in the morning before eating breakfast.
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. If I have gained at all I be really careful that day. I am still losing so a lot of days it has gone down or is the same but even though I know that people say don't weigh every day it is easier to lose one or two pounds by really being careful than it is to gain 5 you have to re-lose. I just don't let it get to me. I think the best thing to do though is weigh the same time before you eat 1 x a week.
  • AboutT1ME
    AboutT1ME Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    every morning because i am ocd.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Every other day.
  • bladejen2
    bladejen2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband and I weigh in once a week, every Monday morning. The first week you may lose weight, but you really start noticing the change after a few weeks and your body feels so much more healthy.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For years I obessed over the scale weighing every single day, sometimes twice a day yes I had an ED back then. But now since I have lost the weight with the surgery and I have decided to try and eat clean and focus on doing the fitness portion along with the diet I'm going to weigh in once a week maybe twice a month. Depending on how I'm feeling just to keep my self accountable, I'm going to take my measurements in the morning since I haven't done those yet and go off those more and do those once a week.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but the only number that counts is Monday's.

Your weight is going to change slowly, there are going to be weeks where you gain. Some of your weigh in days, you will be bloated. A 16oz glass of water weighs over a pound and your body is capable of retaining a lot more than that if it wants to.

Give a dietary change at least a month before you judge your progress.

Don't forget to track your measurements, too! Pictures are also helpful.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning.

Same here! I weigh on Sunday mornings, before breakfast. I've only been on MFP for 5 days, and been working out for a week, so don't know any results yet, but I've always used Sunday mornings as my weighing days. I need to get a flexible measuring tape for measurements.
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, realizing there are going to be ups and downs. I track the numbers on a sheet and then get a weekly average,
    I find that stepping on the scale every morning helps focus me for the day ahead. That being said it is not for the faint of heart, especially when that number stays in the same place for a number of weeks. (imagine looking at the same number 21 times instead of 3). But, this has helped me and reminds me to keep working each day.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale around, so usually never. But I stepped on a scale last week and was 117, and over the summer I was nearly 130 so that was great news xD

I try not to care for scales too often; I have my trusty measuring tape, because to me it's the measurements that really matter.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I weigh once every 3-5 weeks. I'm near the end of weight loss, going to switch over to maintenance soon so my weekly losses aren't that high anymore.... and I don't feel the need to weigh in as often.

When I was steadily losing weight I weighed in once a week on Sundays.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    one time per week at the same time (am) and before u eat.....
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    monday mondays
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but only record the number on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
  • johnnyzerocool
    Options
    I weigh in twice a day, as well as twice a week do full measurements with a trainer. I like to see where I am at through my sleep and resting metabolism as well as in the evening after all of the activities and training sessions are done with.

Interested in sharing nutrition tips? Workouts? or even keep each other motivated? Add me!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I really only do it out of interest. I can see the .3 or .4 of a pound up or down every day, and I can see the line on the graph is trending down, regardless of what today's numbers say right now.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I know that if I log accurately and keep within my calorie goal, I'll lose weight. So I only weigh in every few months. It prevents anxiety over the scale numbers, because after waiting so long between weigh ins, its pretty much a guarantee there will be a lower number on the scale.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    I weigh myself every 2 days.