How often do you weigh?

Options

Replies

• Lola_Rogers
    Lola_Rogers Posts: 107
    Options
    I weigh several times everyday. First thing in the morning and then after breakfast and before and after lunch and after dinner..
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and track it on an app called Libra that averages out the fluctuations and creates a trend line. It's been encouraging even when the scale is up. I fluctuate up to 6 lbs a day!

I only log my weight here once a week or every other week. I tend to go all over the place and then one morning BOOM, it wooshes away.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, Monday or Tuesday depending on which day I work. So I weigh at the hospital where I work on the same scale. It is digtal and I like that.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but I only track about once a week or so. I know a lot of people dont like to weigh daily but for me it motivates me to get to the gym and eat healthy
  • DebBasHol2
    Options
    I weigh once a day. I think a good weight loss goal for the week is 1% of your body weight. Getting on the scale lets me know how I am doing on that goal.
  • MaryLeizinger
    MaryLeizinger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Every couple of days, but report in to my health coach on Tuesday mornings, so that's the one that I never miss. I weight first thing in the morning before getting in the shower. I'm losing about 2 lbs./week, so it motivates me every time I'm down another lb.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday morning, in the buff, before eating anything.
  • stepknee
    stepknee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Every morning that I am at home, so usually 4 days a week or so. My scale updates MFP automatically everytime I weigh. I haven't figured out if I want a "start" day of the week yet or not.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Every morning. And if I lose...I wait for it to say the same weight for two days in a row..before I count it.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning.

It's a great reminder to me of:

1. How far I've come (-250lbs)
    2. How close I am to my goal (7lbs)
    3. How it really doesn't matter if I ever lose another pound, as long as I don't gain back what I've lost;
    4. That I give myself a 3lb "variance", meaning, I can fluctuate up to 3lbs from my low weight, before I'm in full-blast-mode again...because of that, I don't freak-out if I gain a half pound or two pounds. Not to say I don't get extra careful, but, it's a LOT easier to take care of a two-pound increase than a seven-pound increase. A LOT.

It's working for me.

-BootJockey
    -250lbs
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    every morning because i am ocd.

HA!!!

-BootJockey
    -250lbs
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh? Daily but I record the weight once a week.

How do you keep yourself from getting discouraged if the scale hasn't changed? I don't expect it to change often but I like seeing a number. I take it with a grain of salt though. It's just good for my mental game to see a number and know if I'm on the right track or need to curb the sodium/calories for the next few days. That's just how I work. A lot of people get discouraged from the number, I get motivated.

How long would it take to see if a diet is working? 3 days? A week? 6 weeks
  • every morning because i am ocd.
  • throttle2009
    Options
    every morning when I wake up, before I get ready for work. Lately my weight has stabilized for the last couple weeks so I have taking measurements instead.
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    I weigh everyday, I find that stepping on the scale every morning helps focus me for the day ahead. That being said it is not for the faint of heart, especially when that number stays in the same place for a number of weeks. (imagine looking at the same number 21 times instead of 3). But, this has helped me and reminds me to keep working each day.

This is exactly what I do. For the same reasons. I figure, didn't put it all on overnight, it wasn't going to come all off overnight.

Works for me.

-BootJockey
    -250lbs
  • TheStephil
    Options
    4. That I give myself a 3lb "variance", meaning, I can fluctuate up to 3lbs from my low weight, before I'm in full-blast-mode again...because of that, I don't freak-out if I gain a half pound or two pounds. Not to say I don't get extra careful, but, it's a LOT easier to take care of a two-pound increase than a seven-pound increase. A LOT.

THIS ^^ I don't want to be blindsighted by only weighing in once a week / once a month. If I see myself start gaining slowly I can quickly stop it instead of being shocked by a huge gain at a weekly weigh in.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and average it on Mondays and even post it on my profile. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/southcarolinaguy

That doesn't mean I think everyone should do it. I realize that it is hard on some people.

My reasoning is that since weight varies so much, by taking a weekly average, I can smooth out the ups and downs. If I only weighed myself once a week, I might think I'd lost or gained weight when maybe I really had not.
  • TheStephil
    Options
    My scale is a stubborn butt though so I'm relying on measurements and body fat %
  • CupcakeConnection
    Options
    every morning because i am ocd.
  • trina33
    trina33 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I know the scale goes up and down, but I'd hate to miss a day of seeing the scale go down:) Besides,, I've lost 16 pounds and my clothes still feel the same, so I'd get really discouraged if I waited for that to change.