5:2 Diet Craze

Options
I was looking into this new 5:2 UK diet that's been exploding in the US and wondering if anyone has tried it and if you would recommend it.

Thanks!

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There's a 5:2 group on MFP. I read through a lot of the posts before decided to try it. I'm 3 weeks in and pretty happy with it so far. I do recommend you watch the BBC documentary. It's about an hour and is interesting.

http://www.documentarytube.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer-bbc-horizon-2012
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It was never meant to be a diet, it's supposed to be a healthy way to live but as usual someone grabbed it as a diet tool. There is no diet secret to it unless you eat fewer calories which you can do without fasting.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I could not have any days with only 500 calories. It was meant to be more about health and longevity than a weight loss diet, when it was first referred to in a BBC television programme.
    I do a leangains style of fasting most days, where I fast for 14-18 hours, and eat in the remaining window.
    I have found this has helped immensely with binge eating issues, and I like to have large meals with a lot of variety so it works there too.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I did ADF (alternate day fasting or JUDDD) for over a year and have switched to 5:2 for maintenance. I would highly recommend it to anyone without a history or EDs or diabetes. It's phenomenal for overall health and well-being as well as for weight loss.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think I'd go freaking nuts if I limited myself to 500 cals on any day. LOL There's no way I could do it. To each their own!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Is it still a good idea is doing 5:2 means that you end up being so hungry after the light days that you go 2000 calories over your allotment (so eating around 4000)? That's what happens to me :(( Anyone who can help, please message me!
  • caribougal
    Options
    Is it still a good idea is doing 5:2 means that you end up being so hungry after the light days that you go 2000 calories over your allotment (so eating around 4000)? That's what happens to me :(( Anyone who can help, please message me!

If you're binging like that after trying it for a few weeks, then I would say 5:2 is not right for you at all. It's not for everyone and that's totally ok.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bears.jpg
    It was never meant to be a diet, it's supposed to be a healthy way to live but as usual someone grabbed it as a diet tool. There is no diet secret to it unless you eat fewer calories which you can do without fasting.
  • caribougal
    Options
    bears.jpg

That's true, but the "someone" who is marketing it as a diet is the same someone who produced the original documentary.., Mosley. Who after he did the documentary, came out with the book, the website, etc. It is a diet AND a healthy way to live. By fasting 1-2 days a week, this puts most people at a cal deficit and therefore they most likely will lose weight. Hence diet. I'm using it in that way just to change up my method of eating at a deficit after 10 months of eating with a daily deficit. It's a refreshing change, and helped break my plateau to drop the last 5 lbs to goal. I also intend to keep it up in maintenance mode as a healthy way to live (potentially longer and healthier). So it's both.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Over eat five days a week and make up for it by under eating two days a week? Why? Just eat better all the time. It's simply not that difficult.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    O man she called it a diet lol. Its suppose to be a lifestyle change. I personally do 20:4 or 18:6 everyday. Been doing it for 8 months and it works like a charm.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    There's a 5:2 group on MFP. I read through a lot of the posts before decided to try it. I'm 3 weeks in and pretty happy with it so far. I do recommend you watch the BBC documentary. It's about an hour and is interesting.

http://www.documentarytube.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer-bbc-horizon-2012

I also highly recommend the BBC programme as it gives background to the 5:2 diet as well as Alternative day fasting, mainly with an emphasis of improving health and lifespan, but with the added benefit of significant weight loss.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

Wow! This is often offered as an anecdotal "risk" of fasting. But you are actually the first example of this actually happening that I have heard of.

I'm hungry the day after a fast, but not ravenous. And the psychological "I'm dieting" keeps me from eating a whole chocolate cake or anything crazy.

I guess my only advise would be to break your fast with a balanced, smallish meal and give your body time to notice that it has been fed. I break mine with 2 pieces of French toast or a couple breakfast tacos.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Over eat five days a week and make up for it by under eating two days a week? Why? Just eat better all the time. It's simply not that difficult.

You're not _supposed_ to over eat. You are supposed to just eat normally. "Whatever you want" was not supposed to be translated into "eat a dozen eclairs".
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Just eat better all the time. It's simply not that difficult.

It's also, IMO, not that appealing. I'd rather be a bit hungry every other day than every day. I'd rather be able to eat a good amount of the things I like than nibble.

If I had to nibble on rabbit food 7 days a week in order to lose weight - I'd probably just not bother.

I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, but it is, IMO, a nice option for people to lose weight who don't want to make good choices and restrict daily for the rest of their lives. Which is me.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I've toyed around with the idea, done a bunch of reading on it and was really intrigued and thought it sounded like it could be beneficial. Then, I found some information that IF was not nearly as beneficial for women as it is for men, and can actually be harmful. Granted, these sorts of studies appeared to primarily refer to the 18/6 or similar types of IF rather than 5/2 (where you're doing all of your eating during a 6-8 hour window of each 24 hours, rather than restricting 2 days per week), but it was enough to make me take pause and decide that maybe it's not something that I was interested in trying. Not to say that it wouldn't work for someone just because they're a woman, but I like to be well-informed before I start any kind of nutritional or training plan, and if I believe enough evidence exists that it might not be beneficial (or might actually be harmful) for me based on any number of factors (in this case, including sex), then I tend to move on and consider something else.

Here's a few links; normally I wouldn't present blogs as definitive source material but these posts have good summaries and links to the actual studies and such.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/
    http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Wow! This is often offered as an anecdotal "risk" of fasting. But you are actually the first example of this actually happening that I have heard of.

I'm hungry the day after a fast, but not ravenous. And the psychological "I'm dieting" keeps me from eating a whole chocolate cake or anything crazy.

I guess my only advise would be to break your fast with a balanced, smallish meal and give your body time to notice that it has been fed. I break mine with 2 pieces of French toast or a couple breakfast tacos.

Again with the french toast!
  • caribougal
    Options

If you watch the documentary or read the book, you'll learn that research shows that most people do NOT overeat significantly on the non-fast days. Even being told not to restrict at all, eat whatever you want, most people don't consume more than 10% over their normal consumption, and even that tapers off once they get used to fasting. I personally don't overeat on my non-fasting days... I still calorie count. I eat closer to my TDEE (but sometimes still at a small deficit) on non-fasting days. I don't change my approach to healthy eating on those days.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Again with the french toast!

Yes, blueberry streusel bread French Toast! :smokin: