Wrong one!

Whew! Thanks! _advice_ :drinker:
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I guess my only advise would

Wrong one!

Whew! Thanks! _advice_ :drinker:

My faith in you has been restored somewhat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I was looking into this new 5:2 UK diet that's been exploding in the US and wondering if anyone has tried it and if you would recommend it.

Thanks!

Tried it - it's worked for me both as a weight loss tool and now as a maintenance method to keep my weight steady while also continuing to reduce body fat.
    I would recommend people first read the book and then decide to do it (or not).

Two groups on here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8576-5-2-diet

Mosley's site is:
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ if you want to research it.

Today is my fasting day if you want to see what a 600 calorie day looks like (men get 600 calories - yay!).
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I was looking into this new 5:2 UK diet that's been exploding in the US and wondering if anyone has tried it and if you would recommend it.

Thanks!

Tried it - it's worked for me both as a weight loss tool and now as a maintenance method to keep my weight steady while also continuing to reduce body fat.
    I would recommend people first read the book and then decide to do it (or not).

Two groups on here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8576-5-2-diet

Mosley's site is:
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ if you want to research it.

Today is my fasting day if you want to see what a 600 calorie day looks like (men get 600 calories - yay!).

I peeked at your diary. What the heck is Hairy Biker Salmon???
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just eat better all the time. It's simply not that difficult.

It's also, IMO, not that appealing. I'd rather be a bit hungry every other day than every day. I'd rather be able to eat a good amount of the things I like than nibble.

If I had to nibble on rabbit food 7 days a week in order to lose weight - I'd probably just not bother.

I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, but it is, IMO, a nice option for people to lose weight who don't want to make good choices and restrict daily for the rest of their lives. Which is me.
    I get to eat whatever I want because I exercise a lot and make overall healthy choices so there is that option as well lol.
  • sijomial
    Options

I peeked at your diary. What the heck is Hairy Biker Salmon???

Ah yes - can see how that would be confusing! There's a couple of TV cooks over here (who are bikers and hairy...) called the Hairy Bikers. Both went on a diet and lost a load of weight and wrote a really good cook book of low calories meals.

Their salmon recipe is basically baked fillet of salmon with a chilli, garlic, soy, onion & ginger sauce.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    So much bias! Nobody's saying any of you have to try it, or even embrace it, but 5:2 and fasting in general are not unhealthy, and do not mean you overeat on your non-fasting days, or make worse choices because of fasting. I count everything (good and bad calories) on my eating days as well as my fasting days. I try to get a good variety, but I also allow myself wine and treats as I want them. I'm not sure how that translates into the free-for-all or feeding-frenzy mentality that so many of you assume we fasters employ.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I get to eat whatever I want because I exercise a lot and make overall healthy choices so there is that option as well lol.

Yep, there are lots of options.
  • sijomial
    Options

You really don't get it...
    I exercise a lot (over 6,000 calories last week), I make healthy food choices, I eat for taste and enjoyment as well. I also 5:2 fast and am maintaining my goal weight while improving all my fitness and strength markers.

So It seems to be a good option for me.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bump for research at home.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I started it in mid January, after watching the documentary and reading the book. I gave it a 4 week trial to see if it suited me. And I'm still doing it! I don't find myself over eating on non-fast days, but clearly if that was happening to someone then it's not for them.

It's not the only way to lose weight, but it has certain attractions and advantages which I value, and I find 500 calories twice a week is very doable, I'm not gnawing my arm off and I'm still able to exercise with no impact on performance.

Horses for courses- some people love it, some people find its too slow, some people can't handle it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    american and have no idea what you all are talking about. I gave up on following the diet crazes long ago, but I guess I should know them.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Wait Dr. Mosley?

You know, there's a YouTube series about Dr Mosley and PILLLLS.

Totally unrelated, but I could never take advice from a guy named Dr. Mosley. It would be like getting marriage counselling from Henry the Eighth.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    American as well. Health has no borders. :flowerforyou:
  • Brads2ndLife
    Options
    after my first 5, then first 2, I found that I wanted to over eat the next day. I didn't binge much but hope I get to the point that I don't want to do that after the 2 days.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    after my first 5, then first 2, I found that I wanted to over eat the next day. I didn't binge much but hope I get to the point that I don't want to do that after the 2 days.

Are you doing back to back fasting days, or separating them? They should not be consecutive.
  • Brads2ndLife
    Options

Are you doing back to back fasting days, or separating them? They should not be consecutive.

Back to back. I thought that would be better as it would put your body in healing mode for longer than doing alternate days?

I didn't have trouble sticking to the 600 calories on the 2 days, in fact I have been shocked that reducing my calorie intake to about a 1/2 of what I had been eating suddenly (I mean 1800 on normal days. Think I was gobbling down 3000-4000 cals each day up until, a week or so ago) hasn't been a LOT more difficult than it has been.

I decided that calorie count is second to making sure I am not hungry.

And i felt hungry constantly the day after fasting. About hourly. I ate each time, but small amounts and low cal, so only blew out by 800 cals on the day (my first day over target cals)

I'm hoping it just means my body felt like it needed food that often for positive reasons, and hoping it might even be good for my weight loss long term.

Never dieted before in my 47 years so i have no clue really. Just learning and guessing as i go.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the ESE method...two 24 hr fasts per week. I usually do mine from noon to noon, which means I still eat breakfast before, and lunch/dinner afterwards. The first fast I did I was ravenous. Now? No hunger pains at all. Even when I do start eating after a fast, I tend to "fill up" quicker. I've also done the Leangains Method.

I haven't tried the 5:2 yet, but I don't think it would be a problem. It seems the trick is getting adjusted. It was a hard the first week. After fasting in the afternoon and through the night, by morning I was dizzy and felt stoned. Once I began eating again at noon, it went away but was replaced with the lack of energy. ---That doesn't happen anymore.

The body is very resilient. It adjusts to situations and environments. Fasting becomes normal (and more quickly than what I expected). I'm able to go longer periods of time without the "need to feed". I look at the clock (which used to be my normal cue to eat...kinda like a dinner bell ringing), and now I calculate how I feel. A lot of times, I go "Meh" and keep doing whatever it is I'm doing until I'm actually hungry.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options

Back to back. I thought that would be better as it would put your body in healing mode for longer than doing alternate days?

I didn't have trouble sticking to the 600 calories on the 2 days, in fact I have been shocked that reducing my calorie intake to about a 1/2 of what I had been eating suddenly (I mean 1800 on normal days. Think I was gobbling down 3000-4000 cals each day up until, a week or so ago) hasn't been a LOT more difficult than it has been.

I decided that calorie count is second to making sure I am not hungry.

And i felt hungry constantly the day after fasting. About hourly. I ate each time, but small amounts and low cal, so only blew out by 800 cals on the day (my first day over target cals)

I'm hoping it just means my body felt like it needed food that often for positive reasons, and hoping it might even be good for my weight loss long term.

Never dieted before in my 47 years so i have no clue really. Just learning and guessing as i go.

Try separating your fasting days, even with one eating day in between. The book specifically mentions that you're not supposed to do consecutive fasting days. There's also research into the dreaded starvation mode which seems to indicate any fasting over around 40 hours can be detrimental to your metabolism. I'm not sure that I buy that, but I do believe too much stress on the body is not really a good thing. The healing mode only goes so far before it turns into over-stress.

ETA: That could be why you feel the need to eat more on the day you break your fast. JMHO.