I am under eating by at least 1000 cals a day?

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    To those who "just can't get to 1400-1500 calories"... Obviously you did at one point or you wouldn't be trying to lose weight. Not being snarky, just real.

I agree, but just want to point out that not everyone is on here to lose weight, just trying to be a healthier them.

I'm well aware of this. The OP is.
  • zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    Yeah, this is really confusing for me as well now. I also eat filling meals that are actually healthy, I don't eat unhealthy. I physically cannot eat like 2500 calories a day. Not possible.
    Sure you can.

Don't buy "diet / low-fat" versions of stuff. Eat cheese, peanut butter, milk... You'll be shocked.

That is BS if I ever saw it.

I don't eat "Low fat" etc foods as I believe they contain a high amount of unhealthy chemicals. I eat alot of homemade soups, smoothies, breads, PB, cheese etc and I STILL can not get to 1400-1500 some days. Its only if I eat crap food I can reach my calorie goals (And even then it is my calorie goal with out exercise so about 1750 calories) But one of my smooties are about 400 calories but can keep me full for 4-5 hours. One of my soups is only 180-230 (Depending on how much I have) and keeps me full for 3-4 hours.
    I had half a sliced cucumber for morning tea the other day, and it kept me full for 2 hours, when I put it into the system it was a whole 8 calories.
    So no, some of us LITERALLY can not get to that much
    Then you're doing it wrong. Seriously.

So why eat something that is sooooooo filling for only 8 cals? A tablespoon of peanut butter is about 100!

Because I ENJOY eating it! And I didn't know at the time thats all it was.

And like I said I do eat things like PB etc,

I went back on my records and found a day which was a bad day for me, eating things like ice cream, cheese cake, roast dinner, chips etc, and it only was 1600 calories!

One of my days was all bran, smoothie, PB toast, 2 pears, yoghurt a huge mixture of veges, some pork lions, plus cranberry juice and it was only 1300 calories. And I remember I was STUFFED! There was no way I could eat another mouthful! But I was trying so hard to get at least over 1200 I just ate way too much
  • jakescastle88
    Options
    Calories are important, but not as much as what comes with them... I know there are some of you out there who would refute this statement; I'd challenge anyone who can come up with a sound argument (citing actual evidence) to quote this post and prove me wrong.

In my opinion, I focus more on meeting my nutrient goals for the day without eating an obscene amount of calories. I am a ski instructor in Colorado, I am very active, and often times lunch is a hard meal for me too since I cant carry my lunch with me and the stuff we feed the kids is laughable in the nutrition department. I carry unsalted almonds because i know they can stave hunger in responsible amounts. I also try to make lunch a two-part meal (splitting the calories between the pitiful choices I can actually eat at the salad bar in the cafeteria, and a hearty snack when I get home around 4 o'clock).

When it comes to calories, MFP will tell you you aren't eating enough if you don't consume at least 1200 calories a day. I agree with this; calories are energy and you need energy from food every day to promote a faster metabolism and to keep your body from storing fat. My goal is to eat a minimum of 1400 REAL calories a day, from REAL foods that are of high nutrient density, anti-angiogenic, and take awhile to digest, as opposed to empty B.S. calories that you don't need and your metabolism rips right through. Eating the right foods to reach your nutritional goals is most important. If you are eating whole, healthy foods, its actually somewhat challenging to go over 1700-1800 calories a day... you're simply not hungry enough!

Definitely do what some people on this forum have suggested and go to another source to determine what is nutritionally appropriate for you... I find that MFP goes way overboard on sugar, fat, and calorie totals when I log my activity for the day, and I also don't entirely agree with the calorie total that it tells me. For instance, when I log 240 minutes of "Skiing, Downhill, Moderate Effort" It tells me that I can eat an extra 2200 calories that day... I highly doubt that, especially since half of that time (or more) is riding chairlifts!

If you are very active like I am, yes... you do need more calories, fats, and proteins than a person who leads a sedentary lifestyle. That being said, you shouldn't try to go overboard on your calorie intake, especially if its at night with dinner, well after exercising. Remember that a calorie is a measure of energy, and if you don't use energy, your body will store it as fat for later use.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Yeah, this is really confusing for me as well now. I also eat filling meals that are actually healthy, I don't eat unhealthy. I physically cannot eat like 2500 calories a day. Not possible.
    Sure you can.

Don't buy "diet / low-fat" versions of stuff. Eat cheese, peanut butter, milk... You'll be shocked.

I don't eat "Low fat" etc foods as I believe they contain a high amount of unhealthy chemicals. I eat alot of homemade soups, smoothies, breads, PB, cheese etc and I STILL can not get to 1400-1500 some days. Its only if I eat crap food I can reach my calorie goals (And even then it is my calorie goal with out exercise so about 1750 calories) But one of my smooties are about 400 calories but can keep me full for 4-5 hours. One of my soups is only 180-230 (Depending on how much I have) and keeps me full for 3-4 hours.
    I had half a sliced cucumber for morning tea the other day, and it kept me full for 2 hours, when I put it into the system it was a whole 8 calories.

So why eat something that is sooooooo filling for only 8 cals? A tablespoon of peanut butter is about 100!

I went back on my records and found a day which was a bad day for me, eating things like ice cream, cheese cake, roast dinner, chips etc, and it only was 1600 calories!

One of my days was all bran, smoothie, PB toast, 2 pears, yoghurt a huge mixture of veges, some pork lions, plus cranberry juice and it was only 1300 calories. And I remember I was STUFFED! There was no way I could eat another mouthful! But I was trying so hard to get at least over 1200 I just ate way too much

How's your protein intake on a day like that? Very carb heavy?
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.

Some cheese on those veggies or some avocado in place of some of them would add some calories without so much bulk... *shrug* Unless there's a medical reason someone has gotten overweight (and even in a lot of those cases) they didn't get overweight by having trouble eating 1400-1500 calories. Me included.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.

sooooooooooo what brought ya to mfp?
    you here because maybe ya got a little heavier than ya wanted to?
    how'd you...um....do that?
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.

I suspect your not measuring your food and therefore not logging accurately in that case.
  • Randi39
    Randi39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, are you adding the portions in correctly?
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in a similar situation. She's eating 1000-1300cal a day of good quality foods (she's into organic and clean eating). She was exercising around 2hrs a day if not more, 6 days a week and her weight loss stopped completely.

I personally believe her body was exhausted and not functioning correctly hence why she wasn't losing weight. She has reduced the exercise by swapping 2 training sessions a week to yoga/ pilates and she is no seeing results.

I hope that helps :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.

What exactly do you want to hear? Why are you here asking for advice, then arguing or getting defensive when people WHO HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH MAJOR WEIGHT LOSS are trying to HELP you?

You sound more like a petulant child and less like someone willing to consider that maybe, just maybe, SOME people know what they're talking about.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Surely one of the main reasons for exercise using this plan is to buy yourself more calories to eat? Why mess with that system and risk malnutrition? Works for most of us without having to live on survival only rations.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Since you're not going to eat the calories MFP says to eat, and you want to continue working out 2+ hours a day...then just stop logging food and don't worry about it. Just hang out on the forums, occasionally tell people what you're doing from time to time, chime in on things that interest you, but don't complain about not losing weight or ask for help, because it's obvious that unless people tell you to keep doing what you're doing, you're just going to argue.

So, kick back, eat 1000 under a day, knock it out at the gym for 2+ hours a day and let us know how that's working for you in about 6 months!

:flowerforyou: Hope everything works out for you OP!!! Best luck on everything you do!!!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I agree!
    And there is no way in hell that I am going to be drinking milk. There have been multiple studies shown about what they are doing to our milk and the cows.

Then get almond or coconut milk. Ya'll are full of excuses. Gah I've had enough for the day.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I agree!
    And there is no way in hell that I am going to be drinking milk. There have been multiple studies shown about what they are doing to our milk and the cows.

Then get almond or coconut milk. Ya'll are full of excuses. Gah I've had enough for the day.

just think of what they're doing to the almonds.. and those poor.. poor coconuts. WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE COCONUTS?!
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.

I suspect your not measuring your food and therefore not logging accurately in that case.

This, or eating very tiny portions.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    To those who "just can't get to 1400-1500 calories"... Obviously you did at one point or you wouldn't be trying to lose weight. Not being snarky, just real.

Your rock!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.

TOTALLY, you're doing it WRONG. If you're obese and just can't seem to eat 1400 calories, I think you're either full of it, or you don't know what you're doing.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    There is more to this story than meets our eyes. This sounds like an eating disorder to me.
  • carolynwmilburn
    carolynwmilburn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

1000 calories a day is not enough to get all of the nutrients you need. It is actually possible to be overweight and malnutritioned at the same time. Calories are only part of the equation. Your net calories need to stay between 1200-1400 on most days. Is it ok to have a day here and there where you're a little short or over on calories? You bet! But sticking to this will actually help you to lose weight by helping you stick to your diet, giving you energy so your workouts are more effective and preventing your body from thinking its starving and saving every extra calorie you eat as fat.

Best of luck to you!
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    !cid_003401c594ae$bfb0e9f0$06c85a42@admin.gif