Any 10,000 Steps (Daily) Success stories?

Options

Replies

• HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've done between 10,000 and 20,000 steps per day since February, and it has absolutely helped me lose weight. My "best" is a little over 26,000 steps, and I've only been under 10,000 steps 2 days and that was bc I hurt my knee (while vacuuming!) and doc said to take it easy. It's the best, most sensible way to make subtle changes and include fitness as part of your daily living (as opposed to "going to the gym.")
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    bump
  • djnusch
    djnusch Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started walking last year with the crazy notion that I could loss weight by just walking. The idea was that you never see a fat Amish person, and they eat fatty food, but walk an avg of 18,000 steps a day. Well long story short it didn't work well, but I still continue to walk about 15 k a day, and with the help of Mfp I'm starting to loss weight.
  • nsdodge
    nsdodge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 10,000 steps a day as well as 50 stairs a day, using a fitbit. It's possible for me because I have built it into my daily routine - I walk 1.5 hilly miles to and from work and always use the stairs instead of the elevator. It's amazing what a different walking instead of driving makes. I don't count that as exercise - in addition to that I lift weights 3 times a week and run intervals if I can. The best part of this is that I can eat 1800 calories or more a day and still lose weight. I have loads of energy and never feel like I don't get to eat enough. So far I have lost 30 pounds and am now officially a 'normal' weight.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i average around 11K steps a day, its a lot of walking, but worth it. ive been getting this many if not more since the day i started. they were walking steps at first, and now they are jogging steps. you can do it.
  • easycure
    easycure Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I first got my fitbit and started loosing weight, I did so by calorie counting and hiking (10,000 steps a day)! I lost about 80lbs that way! I now get between 15,000 and 20,000 steps a day, but I am in a plateau, and have been heavy lifting for the last 3 months. I have stayed the same weight, but my body is completely different!!! I would still like to loose 50lbs, but walking no longer does it! <3
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I aim for 10 000 per day. The lowest is usually 6000-7000, which means a long day at the office and non running day. Weekends and/or work out days I'll easily get over 20 000 steps with my record being last Saturday at 31 297!
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I began MFP in January, I also downloaded STRIIV on my phone. I've made a conscious effort to wear clothes with pockets, and I keep my phone on me, so I can track my steps throughout the day. ( tracking all my daily steps, not just when walking for exercising).
    I aim for a minimum of 10k a day.

It has definitely made a difference for me...but not just from walking. It was a 'step' in the right direction. Now I'm more active in general. In the beginning, I started very slowly....sometimes walking around my house at night while the kids slept. During commercials, a quick walk around the block.

I still enjoy the competition choices on STRIIV, including the short 'Mini relays'. They remind me on less active days to get out and get moving! Any day with grocery shopping or errands is almost always 10000. Other days, I do have to think about it.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I just recently started hitting 10,00 steps and what got me there is Zumba LOL I use the fitbit and was only hitting maybe 5,000 max 7,000 and that was hitting the treadmill every single day!! I work from home but move around alot (kids) but still could not do it. I have been hitting 10,000 or over almost every day since starting Zumba! (cal burn, fun and hit my steps YA!)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, putting on my pedometer this winter was a real eye-opener for me about how sedentary I've gotten. Things that used to keep me on my feet aren't happening as much any more as my kids get older, and my job keeps me pinned to a desk a lot of the time.

Without an actual bout of "I am going for a walk," my regular daily activities don't take me above 3000 steps, some days. My goal right now, while the weather is still crummy, is to get over 5000, with an ideal of >7000.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm currently averaging about 3,500 a day on my Fitbit (which I've only had since last weekend). I wore it for a 60 minute 5 a side football session out of curiosity and apparently managed 14,000 steps in that hour. From Monday I'll be using most of my lunch hour briskly walking along the canal (weather permitting) to see what happens. That should put me over 10,000 a day.
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit to earn points on Earnedit.com, and to track how many steps I walk during one of my motorsports days. Here was this past Sunday's:

28323 steps taken
    232 floors climbed
    10.96 miles traveled
    2532 calories burned
    1725 active score

I'll be honest though, my daily goal is 5,000 - I have a desk job.

More info on earnedit.com?
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit to earn points on Earnedit.com, and to track how many steps I walk during one of my motorsports days.

Awesome! I didn't know about that site - just linked mine too.

I do between 8000 - 12000 just at work also. I deliberately take the stairs and walk to the opposite side of the complex to use the bathroom as well as taking the longest way possible to go anywhere!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Some other things I'm doing to get my steps in is parking WAY far from where ever I'm going (instead of trying to find a parking space close to the door) Also, walking to the grocery store (about 2 miles both ways) instead of driving everywhere. Also...I NEVER liked window shopping, but going to the mall and window shopping gets a lot of steps in too.
  • AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit from my husband for a valentine's day present. Something that I had been wanting. My first day I walked 3500 steps and was shocked at how much I wasn't moving. It took me a month to get to 5000 steps a day regularly. Then one day I walked the mall with some great friends and they pushed me until I hit 10,000 steps. I remember standing right in the middle of the mall and doing a happy dance! Now almost 2 months later I walk AT LEAST 10,000 steps a day and do not go to bed until I have done it.

My advice is start out adding 500 steps a week until you get there. If you watch a lot of TV, get up and walk during the commercials. On your breaks at work, get up and walk. You will be surprised at how easy the steps count and will be at 10,000 before you know it!
  • isefluffy44
    isefluffy44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My very fit daughter-in-law does this daily. I've been seriously thinking about getting a pedometer and slowly working up, maybe it will never be 10,000. I try to guess what my sedentary life gives me in daily footsteps and I guess 1,000. I have two bad and very painful knees. That is my prime reason for wanting to lose weight. But I'm going to try this. There should be a group for 10,000 steppers. What do you all think? Gramma
  • isefluffy44
    isefluffy44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What encouraging "tidbits" to help me.
  • jterry03
    jterry03 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a total "stepping" success story. I participated in a pedometer based study at UCSF Medical School that began in September. I was in a group that used a pedometer ( a very large cluncky medical grade pedometer) and a phone app that you had to interract with twice per day--once in the morning, and once at night. The purpose of the study was to lower your fasting glucose and A1C by walking 12,000 steps per day, and in my case eating 1500-2000 calories per day. The first two weeks of the study, you wore the pedometer (blind--coudlnt' see the output) so that the study could get a baseline of your steps on a daily basis. I averaed 1600 steps per day ( I have a desk job, and was not active).

I began the study on Octboer 1, with the goal to increase my steps 20% per week until I reached the 12,000 daily goal. (It took me until around Christmas to get to that level).

I started tracking calories on MFP (the calorie component was introduced after pedometer component by two weeks) on October 15. I've lost almost 65 pounds. And I will say that while I do aim for 12,000 steps per day, I do 12,000 without question on Friday-Monday. Tuesday-Thursday are tougher for me and I usually hit 6,000-8,000.

Not only have I lost the 65 pounds (and am nearly halfway to my goal weight. But, I feel good. I go to Curves 3 X per week. And I started Couch 2 5K this week, and just completed Week 1 Day 3. (I'm doing a 5K in June....the real reason for me to be doing the C25K program is to help increase my walking pace).

It has been great.

The study concluded March 25. I was the study's poster child for the most weight loss. My cholesterol went down 24 points from 224 to 200--all in the "bad" cholesterol. My good cholesterol went up. I've lost lots of inches. My A1C went from 5.9 to 5.4.

Happy walkin' to all. I'm a believer.
  • jterry03
    jterry03 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a total "stepping" success story. I participated in a pedometer based study at UCSF Medical School that began in September. I was in a group that used a pedometer ( a very large cluncky medical grade pedometer) and a phone app that you had to interract with twice per day--once in the morning, and once at night. The purpose of the study was to lower your fasting glucose and A1C by walking 12,000 steps per day, and in my case eating 1500-2000 calories per day. The first two weeks of the study, you wore the pedometer (blind--coudlnt' see the output) so that the study could get a baseline of your steps on a daily basis. I averaed 1600 steps per day ( I have a desk job, and was not active).

I began the study on Octboer 1, with the goal to increase my steps 20% per week until I reached the 12,000 daily goal. (It took me until around Christmas to get to that level).

I started tracking calories on MFP (the calorie component was introduced after pedometer component by two weeks) on October 15. I've lost almost 65 pounds. And I will say that while I do aim for 12,000 steps per day, I do 12,000 without question on Friday-Monday. Tuesday-Thursday are tougher for me and I usually hit 6,000-8,000.

Not only have I lost the 65 pounds (and am nearly halfway to my goal weight. But, I feel good. I go to Curves 3 X per week. And I started Couch 2 5K this week, and just completed Week 1 Day 3. (I'm doing a 5K in June....the real reason for me to be doing the C25K program is to help increase my walking pace).

It has been great.

The study concluded March 25. I was the study's poster child for the most weight loss. My cholesterol went down 24 points from 224 to 200--all in the "bad" cholesterol. My good cholesterol went up. I've lost lots of inches. My A1C went from 5.9 to 5.4.

That is an awesome story!!!!
  • annlsinger
    annlsinger Posts: 27 Member
    Options

It has been great.

That is an awesome story!!!!

Thank you! It has been hard work...but, it has totally paid off.

Ann
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!