support for Binge Eating Disorder

Options

Replies

• Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just marking territory here..deff got the BED going on. it got the best of me tonight, hope all is well with everyone!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    I really binged hard tonight... I feel terrible... I used to purge but at least I didn't do that.... it makes me sad.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I suffer majorly from BED and occasional bulimia. I don't know if anyone can see my blogs but I'm in major need of some motivational words. Even reading this thread makes me want to binge. Not sure what I need to do or where I need to go from here... It's an awful battle and I feel sorry for anyone that has to go through this.

I know what you mean. Reading this thread makes me want to binge too and I haven't binged in years. I think sometimes when we talk about something a lot and/or think about something a lot it makes it that much harder to keep from doing that thing. My best advice is to stay active/keep busy. And send as much time as possible around people who have normal relationships with food. Don't keep "trigger" foods in the house either. If you're less likely to binge on fruit and veggies stock your fridge and cupboards with them. Not only will it keep you from binging at home but will be all around healthier for your body.

I had to train myself to slowly phase out the stuff that I liked to binge on. After you stop having it in the house and start eating more healthy foods your taste buds WILL change. And you will develop an actually dislike for the foods you used to find irresistible and binge worthy. I used to love cup cakes and could eat 4 or more in one sitting - after staying away from them for months I went to eat one again and found that it was so overpoweringly sweet that it burned the back of my throat. So goes with most other sugar loaded things now and even salty stuff. It's sugary and salty foods that are the most addicting and the most likely to trigger an average binge eater. Phase that junk out of your life and you will find yourself binging less and less until eventually you've broken that cycle.

Thanks Stacey for sharing here with us. It is very helpful. I don't know too many peoples who binge off of fruits, veggies....:-) Your experiences and thoughts are helpful and speaking for myself, keep me mindful, gives me conviction that I am on my way and are good reminders also that this can be done. I hope sharing is a benefit to you. I have to believe it helps you remain mindful and reflect on how far you have come in your journey. Keep up the good work and please keep sharing if not too painful for you and I certainly don't want you to binge, but I do understand what you all are saying regarding this. It is similar to seeing a food we like and wanting it when before it being in site it was not in your thoughts.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I really binged hard tonight... I feel terrible... I used to purge but at least I didn't do that.... it makes me sad.

One day at a time. I am glad you did not purge. It is good you shared with us and hopefully this is helpful to you. Yes we can get sad. But it is important to seek help if possible. ODAT. Forget about today and tomorrow is another day.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I have done pretty good this week thus far. Tonight I did have a spell of over eating but not a binge.

Thank you all for sharing. The posts were encouraging and helpful for sure.

Have a good day tomorrow!:flowerforyou:
  • WhiteViolet
    Options
    May I join you all? :-)

I am well within my "healthy" weight range but my UK size 8-10 figure does not tell the whole story. I weigh foods and track my calories for 4 days, then go into a feeding frenzy and consume 3000 calories withing the space of 2-4 hours.

This started about 4 years ago when I was having a real porblem with athritis pains and used food to dull the hurt. I've been working on self esteem issues this past year after hitting rock bottom around April and things are getting far better.

I tried Overeaters Anon. but just can't do the "god" thing and daily readings from their "bible - like" books. Last binge was on Wednesday this week and I would sincerely, with your support, like to make it my last.

I find eating about 250 calories 6 times a day works for me, keeping me getting so empty I fill up with junk. Best wishes to all in this thread and I look foward to us all working on a future free from the grip that binges have on our lives.
  • Bettany
    Bettany Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you are right WhiteViolet. I tried eating several small meals yesterday at work (my most dangerous binging time) and didn't binge once. I couldn't believe it. I rarely make it through a day without either binging or eating something extremely fattening. I don't know why I binge. I use to never eat desserts and now I eat several sweets all at once. What the heck is wrong with me. I can do so well all day and find myself ordering an extra value meal at McDonalds.
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Hey!

Welcome guys! For me I didn't start to binge for a long time untill I started to diet. So my plan right know is not to diet and eat everything within reason. From what I'm been reading on binging is not to diet or put foods on a can't have list. Because then you want it more. Also I have been reading what has been working for me is eat like people are watching me.

Yesterday was a bad food day, what I was binging on was all the no no iteams that I said I wouldn't eat. So all foods are good to eat within reason.

Melissa
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello all and welcome new ones,

I have a bad eating weekend. Today is anothe day. Thanks Melissa for posting. I will try the idea about think as if people were watching you. So much of binge eating is done in secret. But I will try it for sure.

Have a good week and one day at a time.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I had a bad week. I went on a binge streak. I'm trying to break it. I know i can. Because I've dont it before. Many times. And I'll probably have to do it again some time in the future. But it does make you feel sad. To eat uncontrollably makes you feel lonely and isolated. And that's no good. But I can and will do this. I dont' have to keep going just because I've started (which is a major part of my BED thinking pattern).

So, I'm just checking in.
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Hey!

Well I have been binging for like 2 months straight it has been driving me crazy, just could not get back. Well I stepped on the scale just now I have gained a total of 20 pounds in the last 2 months yuck! Any way went to the gym tonight felt really good going to try to go every day.

I think I can I think I can!

I hope this is the butt kick I need to get me on the right path again.

Melissa
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello Titiana,

I am glad you know that you can. Because you can. Yes all or nothing attitude is a challenge

Melissa,
    I am proud of you for getting on the scale tonight. I think knowing that you have gained 20 pounds back will help you tremendously. You know we can not always say why we binge and when we can't figure it out we have to resort to stragies. Not weighing is is a form of denial for us. That is how I got up to 600 pounds by not having a scale as a child and then continuing it when I was an adult.

7 years ago was the 1st time I brought a scale and it was recommended to me by a director and nurse. He also recommended to me to weigh myself daily once a day. I don't always do this but I can tell you one thing I do better when I weigh myself daily. Right now I am doing it because the number on the scale from the morning stays with me all day. I am not suggesting this to you or anyone else. It does not work for everyone. But it works for me. If I know I have not eaten enough to gain weight I chalk it up to sodium and I do not let it bother me. What I am looking for is overall weight loss, not day to day so I don't go crazy over gains from day to day because it even's itself out by end of week. I only count my weight from 1st day month to the next and on Thurs or Fridays weekly.

If you can take it try it. Does anyone else wegh daily? Have you ever tried it?
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Hey!

Tks for the suporrt it really helps, I'm going to try and weigh myself every couple of days, and she if that will help. One step at a time.

Melissa
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello Melissa,

Even if this does not work, I recommend stepping on the scale at least once a week for sure. Keep me posted.

Have a good day everyone! One day at a time!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hey!

Well I have been binging for like 2 months straight it has been driving me crazy, just could not get back. Well I stepped on the scale just now I have gained a total of 20 pounds in the last 2 months yuck! Any way went to the gym tonight felt really good going to try to go every day.

I think I can I think I can!

I hope this is the butt kick I need to get me on the right path again.

Melissa

I know I can I know I can!.:wink:
  • tamara003
    Options
    Hello, is anyone still on this thread? l know that when l am really really upset l have binged on food, l was always thin most of my life and when l hit my late 30's thats when l noticed l would binge when l was upset. To be honest, l didnt even notice at first l just starting doing it, with not even realizing what l was doing. Then the weight came on and l woke up. I struggle a lot with problems with my ex and the kids, he doesnt parent with me, and when l got so upset, l would eat till l felt like l was going to be sick. I couldnt believe that l had turned to food like this.I am trying so hard to stop. I was upset the other day and started eating and l was in the kitchen, and l stopped after l ate 3 cookies which is pretty good, l would of kept going but l stopped. I wanted more but l went in my room and cried instead. It wasnt the best alternative but atleast l stopped lol. I am just going to have to get myself out of the habit, what do you guys all do any suggestions? thanks for listening Tamara
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Welcome Tamara!

Crying never hurts anyone. Crying is good for the soul and much better than binge eating. Keep posting and read the thread. There ae many suggestions within this thread.

Keep posting! Some post daily.

One day at a time.
  • tamara003
    Options
    Thank you Molly for your support, and yes l do plan on posting everyday! l believe that if l keep connected, l will keep on track and know that l will reach my goal if l just take one day at a time! Have a great day everyone :)

960942.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Welcome tamara003!

I'm glad you found us! Loads of good idea check it out!

I'm proud to say I did not binge today even though I wanted to! So I'm putting out there the newest goal I have, now not to sure if this will happen it is just to see what it is all about. I have been waiting 6 months to get in to this Drs. place. I may be getting a tummy tuck done, I have a appiont to see what it is all about on Dec.8/10 but it really depends on what they say and if I can get most of this weight off.

I figure if I put it out there I will work hard on it.
    I hope everyone else had a good day.

Melissa
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I wish you best Melissa on tummy tuck!

I did not binge today but I did have FAT food and still stay within my calories so I am happy! We are getting close to the end of the thread peeps!! 500 and we will be in part 2!! Cool beans!

Good night all and happy hump day!