Im finally pregnant with PCOS!

Hi Everyone,

I got married 5 years ago. Right away we decided that I would not go on birth control and let things happen naturally, for the first 5 months we weren't trying to get pregnant per se but it never happened..... In the mean time I gained a good 20 pounds, and all of the sudden my periods stopped showing up. After 3 months of no periods I decided to go to the doctor where she ran some tests and did an ovary ultra sound and confirmed I had PCOS. She told me that I should go on metformin right away since I was Insulin Resistant, and that it may be a challenge to achieve pregnancy. She refereed me to a reproductive endocrinologist. He put me on clomid the first month, and I became pregnant luckily, but unfortunately miscarried at 8 weeks. After a couple months of taking a break from meds, he put me on clomid again, and 5 more rounds and I still did not end up pregnant. We also tried Femera, and that did not work for me either. I decided that I wanted to try the natural route and decided to opt out of the very expensive treatments he was recommending next... fast forward about 3 years, all that ends up happening is that I gain more weight and got to my highest weight of 250 pounds this past November. When I saw that number I freaked! I had to start getting serious about loosing weight for my health. I went on a low amylose diet and started dropping the weight. I am now at 212 pounds, and the best news is that I naturally became pregant for the first time ever after 4.5 years of trying to conceive after only 2 months of regularize cycles. So for you ladies with PCOS, dont loose hope! I lost 35 pounds and it restarted my cycles and now I am preggo, god willing if all goes well I will be due mid december of this year.

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    That's great news! Congratulations to you!
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Congratulations!! What fantastic news!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hope all goes well for a wonderfully healthy pregnancy and Healthy baby!! :-)
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    I love babies!!!!!! Congrats to you, what an exciting time!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    CONGRATS!!!! :flowerforyou:

Don't let the doctors tell you that you can't continue to lose weight while pregnant. My cousin is pushing 400 lbs and became pregnant and her doctor actually told her NOT to try to lose weight!!! WHAT?!! There are healthy ways to lose weight while pregnant. Come on!
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Congratulations and best wishes!:smile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Congrats and good luck! :)
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Congratulations!
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Yay!!!!! Congrats!!!! I pray everything goes well and you have a new little person in your life come Christmas! :flowerforyou:
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Congratulations...and you are so sweet to encourage others during your moment of joy. Take extra special care of yourself. God bless you and your family.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    I could have written this same post. Same thing here.
    My doc told me after the fact that my weightloss at the time probably fixed my problem.
    Why are docs so hesitant to tell overweight women with ovulation issues to lose weight before they try anything else?

Congrats!
  • Cambiovida
    Cambiovida Posts: 13 Member
    Congratulations!! I had almost the exact same situation when I was trying to concieve my second child! It took me a year and a half of trying. The meds the Drs gave me helped get me pregnant but I miscarried at 11 weeks. Then I started exercising and lost about 40lbs and got pregnant with my daughter. I did continue to be active during my pregnancy and I had to eat healthy because of my gestational diabetes so I continued to lose weight at a slow healthy pace.

I'm so happy for you and your husband:happy:
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Wonderful news! Wishing you and your family all the best!
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Congratulations! How exciting. Praying for a happy & healthy 9 months:)
  • yay! now that is a great success story!!! i have a 13 week old and 5 yr old at home now. prepare yourself for the craziness of kids!! ;)
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    That is AMAZING! Congratulations!!! Thank you for the great uplifting and motivational story!!! Good luck with everything and keep that wonderful positive attitude going!!!!
  • JessicaV623
    JessicaV623 Posts: 31 Member
    As someone who suffers from PCOS and who wants to have a child someday soon, this is an amazing story! Good luck to you and your little peanut!
  • siewekegirl
    siewekegirl Posts: 9 Member
    as a fellow PCOS gal who went to the ends of the earth to get preggo (30 rounds of meds, 5 IUI a miscarriage and finally IVF) i want to congratulate you! motherhood is the best! keep being healthy through your pregnancy :-)
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    I struggled with my fertility with PCOS for 3 years. I had one ectopic pregnancy which resulted in the removal of a tube on my left and most of the cystic ovary on the right. I was told that the chances of conceiving naturally were next to nothing.... I decided to look into adoption and focus on getting fit (had to have something to keep my mind off of everything). I lost about 20lbs and BAM.... preggo.... then six months after my baby was born, while on birth control pill... BAM... preggo again.

The Dr susposes that the weight loss really spurred my fertility. It is their only explaination.

My weightloss hinges on a lowish carb diet... nothing else works for me.

and again... MANY MANY CONGRATS!
  • motivatedshi
    motivatedshi Posts: 75 Member
    Thank you everyone for all the sweet words. For those of you trying to conceive with PCOS, I highly recommend the Low Amylose diet, look it up on YOUTUBE, stick to it strictly and you will see results!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!