Is breakfast absolutely necessary?

Options
I just started my diet 4 days ago and on day 1 & 2 I didn't feel hungry at all but yesterday and today have been a KILLER!! and the only difference i can see is that i ate a breakfast those days. are breakfasts absolutely necessary to lose weight?

Replies

• homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    nope
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Try to stick with the breakfast, the hunger will go away. However, keep in mind it's your body and you need to find what works best for you.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Nope - check out Intermittent Fasting...
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YES. It is necessary. I used to diet without eating breakfast, didn't lose anything. Actually gained.

8215698.png
  • pghlulu
    pghlulu Posts: 42
    Options
    When are you working out? Normally I don't feel hungry for 1-2 hours after vigorous exercise, and I don't want to eat. If you aren't hungry at breakfast time, don't force feed yourself...just make sure you are eating at some point. :)

As long as you are hitting your overall daily calorie/nutrition goals, you'll be fine.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Food timing doesn't matter. Except possible PWO.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do too much before putting fuel into your body. I have a small breakfast (yogurt and sometimes fruit) and a glass of water. Sometimes on the weekends I don't eat breakfast until 10ish but my general rule is don't leave the house until you've had something to eat.

How many cals are you eating per day? Maybe have some veggies on-hand for when you're hungry and don't want a lot of calories.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    <---This is me without eating breakfast so I say, "Nope" lol
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    No. You lose weight when you burn more calories than you eat. Some people need to eat breakfast so they don't end up starving and over eat at their next meal. But it's not necessary.
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For the first time I did without breakfast and was quite alright, did!nt feel hungry had 2 eggs at lunch and lasted until dinner, so will try to do without again when necessary.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS struggled with breakfast. I get up at 6 AM - have coffee but nothing else. Prior to MFP I used to not eat until 10:30 sometimes 11:30. Food before this time would literally make me gag.
    Mind you I have always been like this and I have been on countless diets and never had breakfast! I always lost weight...I find too that if I do eat food before a certain time I want to eat ALL DAY LONG!!!
    Since starting MFP and exercising daily I find I am now getting hungry about 8:30 - ish - still can not stomach food at that time so now I just use a protein shake :)

Do what works for you - if you are hungry and breakfast screws up your whole day try the protein shakes :)
  • Claairey1992
    Claairey1992 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm a student so im not having to leave the house extra early. atm im usually up about 10am but like @chasetwins i cant face food. i could easily go all day without eating if i dont start! (and when i was at college i used to do this cos i was embarrassed to eat in front of others because of my size but lets not go there) but i usually eat about 1/2pm. Think i would rather eat more for my lunch than use up calories on breakfast. because after having breakfast i am starving by the time 2pm comes then i feel like im just putting food in to a bottomless pit! its terrible. but thanks!!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Whilst I would agree with the general opinion voiced here that breakfast is not essential, personally I cannot focus on work or anything for that matter if I skip it. I definitely perform better at work with it, and as a student I would have thought you would see the difference as well!
  • alphal0b0
    alphal0b0 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    YES. It is necessary. I used to diet without eating breakfast, didn't lose anything. Actually gained.

Nope, you gained because you still ate to much during the day.
    Thanks everyone! I'm a student so im not having to leave the house extra early. atm im usually up about 10am but like @chasetwins i cant face food. i could easily go all day without eating if i dont start! (and when i was at college i used to do this cos i was embarrassed to eat in front of others because of my size but lets not go there) but i usually eat about 1/2pm. Think i would rather eat more for my lunch than use up calories on breakfast. because after having breakfast i am starving by the time 2pm comes then i feel like im just putting food in to a bottomless pit! its terrible. but thanks!!
    If skipping breakfast works for you then go ahead with your plan. I had this same problem you have. Breakfast just made me hungrier all day, plus I was eating breakfast when I wasn't hungry. For the last 2 months my first meal isn't until 1pm on IF, best decision I could have made for myself.

I agree with MrM27.. I do the same.
  • trist22
    trist22 Posts: 5
    Options
    Everything I have ever read.. say's it is IMPORTANT to eat breakfast. It can help jump start your metabolism, if you eat a protein it will keep you full longer throughout the day. If you truly do not feel like eating breakfast why not opt for a home-made protein packed smoothie.. ( vanilla whey powder is great to add to smoothies and gives you the protein you need).
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Nope, you gained because you still ate to much during the day.
    If skipping breakfast works for you then go ahead with your plan. I had this same problem you have. Breakfast just made me hungrier all day, plus I was eating breakfast when I wasn't hungry. For the last 2 months my first meal isn't until 1pm on IF, best decision I could have made for myself.

Incorrect! I gained because I ate two meals and wasn't getting enough calories! It's better for your body to eat multiple smaller meals through out the day and not all of your calories at once (keeps your metabolism going). This is how my body works, I know because it's MINE. You do not. Thanks for playing though :D
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    only if your drinking whiskey.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    no
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every day. It works for me.
    But no, its not necessary.