Is breakfast absolutely necessary?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    statistically speaking, the majority of healthy people do - in fact - eat breakfast, however that doesn't mean you absolutely HAVE to to be healthy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    YES. It is necessary. I used to diet without eating breakfast, didn't lose anything. Actually gained.

8215698.png
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. If they were, then people who skip breakfast can say the same about how eating breakfast made them gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's necessary, but for me personally it definitely reduces hunger and cravings throughout the day. I think doing what works for you is probably the best.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Incorrect! I gained because I ate two meals and wasn't getting enough calories! It's better for your body to eat multiple smaller meals through out the day and not all of your calories at once (keeps your metabolism going). This is how my body works, I know because it's MINE. You do not. Thanks for playing though :D
    More misinformation. Eating multiple meals hasn't shown on any scientific study that it keeps metabolism going any more than if you ate 2-3 meals in a day.
    If it WORKS for you, then that's how you eat. But it doesn't mean the information is correct.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Not necessary to lose weight, though i'd say it was healthier in general to have breakfast.
    I never ate breakfast, refused it as a child and never had it, I started to force my self to have it and felt sick at first, would make me hungrier before I could have lunch then that all went away and now i'ts my favourite and has helped me as I use to be tired and ill alot and since breakfast I do much better at work, and much happier in general (though that could be other things too)

In response to actual weight loss I believe it gives you a chance to have a healthy start to the day and you will be more inclined to finish it well too. Also When I miss a meal, when the next meal comes I sometimes think 'well I haven't eaten much so I can have *enter some junk food here*
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I never eat till around 9.30-10am
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Meals and meal timing are irrelevant...total calories are what matters (and macros if you have certain goals that necessitate managing them). Personally, I'm an eat 5-6 times per day guy...mostly because I can't eat enough in one sitting to achieve my calorie goals...I'd be too full and puking my guts out if I tried to eat everything in even 3 sittings. My stomach has shrunk a lot. I've tried IF as well, and just didn't like skipping breakfast and waiting until 1PM to eat anything...I was always so hungry that I couldn't focus on anything else.

Just do whatever works for you...meet your calorie and macro goals and you're golden.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Everything I have ever read.. say's it is IMPORTANT to eat breakfast. It can help jump start your metabolism, if you eat a protein it will keep you full longer throughout the day. If you truly do not feel like eating breakfast why not opt for a home-made protein packed smoothie.. ( vanilla whey powder is great to add to smoothies and gives you the protein you need).
    Depends on your sources that you're reading from then. Look at peer reviewed clinical studies on the subject.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but breakfast is absolutely essential for me, and is one of my bigger meals. Before I tweaked my breakfast up a few calories, I would be starving by 10 am, and tempted to binge. That led to a lot of snacking from mid-morning until dinner. A little more protein, a little more fiber, and it was magic. You are welcome to look at my diary.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You haven't ate for 8 hours. Your body will start eating the muscle first because it uses the most energy to run. Unless you want to look like a meth head all skin and bones I would recommend eating breakfast. Just go to bed when you get hungry. If you aren't hungry first thing in the morning you are eating too much at night time.
    Lol, while opinions on it will vary, spouting nonsense about it "eating muscle" is why people get confused. Where's you actual information on this coming from?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Everything I have ever read.. say's it is IMPORTANT to eat breakfast. It can help jump start your metabolism, if you eat a protein it will keep you full longer throughout the day. If you truly do not feel like eating breakfast why not opt for a home-made protein packed smoothie.. ( vanilla whey powder is great to add to smoothies and gives you the protein you need).

Read other things. "Jump Starting Metabolism" is a bunch of nonsense.
    Not really nonsense:

It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

That does NOT say it jump starts your metabolism. In fact, during the first 24-48 hours of not eating, your resting metabolism is +/- 15% higher, and metabolism does not begin to reduce until about 3 days into fasting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    Resting energy expenditure in short-term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine.
    Zauner C, Schneeweiss B, Kranz A, Madl C, Ratheiser K, Kramer L, Roth E, Schneider B, Lenz K.
    Source
    Intensive Care Unit, the Department of Internal Medicine IV, Universityof Vienna, Vienna, Austria.

thankyou Sullus..Iam doing 16/8 intermittent fasting and its really working for me ..just started one week ago..Honestly i am not eating anymore during the day after fasting for 16 hours..If anything i am less hungry now
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    statistically speaking, the majority of healthy people do - in fact - eat breakfast, however that doesn't mean you absolutely HAVE to to be healthy

This fact has skewed a lot of the research on this matter ....
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Obviously from the variations of the responses, some people need breakfast and some do not. I do not and it works just fine for me.

A thought about other responses: metabolism is affected by lean muscle mass primarily, so eating breakfast does not jump start anything.

The bottom line is eat it if you want to and don't if you don't. I tend to be a nighttime eater so I am never hungry until around noon.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It's reccomended that you eat breakfast, it wakes your metabolism up and makes weight loss easier.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's reccomended that you eat breakfast, it wakes your metabolism up and makes weight loss easier.
    Where's the information coming from?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cassea7
    Options

This seems to be false to me..as i was EATING BREAKFAST everyday and was very hungry all day and I got fat!!!!

Now I am not eating breakfast and i still eat healthy food and I am losing weight...

Breakfast in my diary is not until 11:30 am or so

hmmmm
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    There is research that points to eating breakfast being benefitial.....that being said I am not a big breakfast eater...when I do it is usually some scrambled egg whites with onion,garlic and green pepper.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130326151127.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110519113024.htm
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    at the moment i'm living with a daily deficit of about 700 kcals per day, So I find that my body is asking for breakfast everyday, sometimes i have to prepare my breakfast the minute i get up, a glass of water does nothing to subside it.

Most days, I have to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up.

before i started, i could go until 1 or 2PM without eating anything. but im sure i overate lunch, dinner, late snacks, so skipping breakfast didnt make me fat, bad food choices during the day did.

right now, i really enjoy doing 3 meals, a snack during work, and a late snack after dinner, usually something sweet.

good luck, listen to your body and try to make healthy food choices.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    I just started my diet 4 days ago and on day 1 & 2 I didn't feel hungry at all but yesterday and today have been a KILLER!! and the only difference i can see is that i ate a breakfast those days. are breakfasts absolutely necessary to lose weight?

Breakfast, by definition, is the first thing you eat after your overnight "fast" while sleeping, regardless of what it is, or which "meal" you label it as.

For myself, if I don't eat in the morning and just wait until I feel hunger before eating, then I won't get hungry. At all. All day -- until around 3-4 when, still not hungry, I will start to experience vision blackouts before I literally pass out and land on the floor.

Everyone's body is different, and for me, not eating in the morning is a disaster. I would look at what you ate; was it high protein to carry you through for a few hours, or was it high sugar that left you feeling empty 30 minutes later? What you eat and when you eat it both matter, but not everyone fits into the exact same "ideal" pattern.
  • Cassea7
    Options
    There is research that points to eating breakfast being benefitial.....that being said I am not a big breakfast eater...when I do it is usually some scrambled egg whites with onion,garlic and green pepper.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130326151127.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110519113024.htm

first of all this research was done with only 20 subjects and second of all..The main focus was eating a protein rich meal!

I eat protein rich but just dont eat it until 11:30 am..