Ok runners - do you do it alone, or with a group

Options

Replies

• TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I run alone. I prefer running alone. I sometimes run with my fiance. I run with groups maybe once or twice a year but I've learned not to expect too much from it. My group runs are typically junk miles.

ETA: In most groups, I'm the most experienced with pacing myself and usually the one with the most endurance so I'm usually super chatty while everyone else around me is dying. lol I've learned to tone it down a bit.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been running with a close friend 4 or 5 times a week for years and years. On the rare occasion that I run alone, I'm bored and people look at me strangely for talking to myself.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i do it alone, with another person, but i haven't tried it with a group yet ;)

GIGGITY.

oh, this is about running? (i do that too).

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
    There. You get double. :tongue:
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Alone, It is my time to get away from arguing kids, work issues, and anything else that is bugging me. I don't want someone talking to me while I'm running, I just want me and my music hitting the road.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i do it alone, with another person, but i haven't tried it with a group yet ;)

GIGGITY.

oh, this is about running? (i do that too).

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
    There. You get double. :tongue:

'bout time, admiral. :flowerforyou:
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Alone.

It's kind of like meditation, and I wouldn't want to meditate with a group of people either. But then again, I wouldn't meditate to my iPod which accompanies me on most runs.

BUT, I do enjoy running occasionally with my 15 year old daughter.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I run alone also. I have ran once with my cousin which was fun, but not as productive as when I run by myself. I didn't seem to push myself as hard as I would normally do so. Unfortunately I need to get over this since I am running a few 5K races this summer.
  • clareiow
    clareiow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love running in groups, I race once a week but generally stick with two or three others and then the other once or twice a week I run in a group of about 40-50. There's always someone at your pace, or someone you can push on to match, and someone who is starting out who you can encourage.

I can run alone, but I don't get as much out of my performance, I don't push enough.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I used to only ever run alone - mostly because I was the only one I knew who even ran...

But I recently started going to a running group once a week and I have to say I really like it! It's added a nice variety to my runs, and often I don't even notice how far I go because I'm chatting with people.

My hubby is also starting to get into running, so I'm looking forward to adding some runs with him as well!

That being said, I think I would miss my alone runs if I never did them, so I think a nice mix of the two is good!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    No other people, just my two pups....but I am fairly new to running, not very quick and sometimes need walk breaks. Maybe when I am better at this I might try a group, but for now I love just me, my pups and the early morning quiet.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Solo. Me, myself and the road.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Both. I like my solo runs for me time, but I also like running with a friend or group. It's amazing how fast the miles can go by when you're chatting. Plus I like the accountability of running with a group or running buddy. Some days, it's hard to get out the door...but if I know there's someone waiting for me, I suck it up and tie my shoes.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Primarily alone although I do belong to a running club and it's nice to have structure around getting track work outs and early morning mid-weeks runs done. On the long runs on the weekends I will either do them solo or with specific training partners. I'm very picky about who I'll do the long runs with.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Why it gotta be either or? Sometimes one. Sometimes the other.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Ha! I run with a slow running partner! :smile: But only on my long run day!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Alone. That's my "me" time.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    For the most part alone, however on my longs, I will sometimes run into runners I know and run a few miles with them. It seems to make the time and distance go faster.

I'm starting marathon training in a few weeks and might join a group because 20 miles is a long distance to run alone. Plus it's my first full marathon and I can use all the support I can get :happy:
  • melweso
    melweso Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run alone, in the morning, before work, before the family is awake. My time to relax...my "me" time. I found it difficult running with people because of the chatter (I want to relax and decompress) and the other person not having the same pace is always difficult.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I like to "easy run" with others, which can be social. I like to tempo run and race alone unless someone is actually at my pace - no talking there.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Alone. It's time to clear my head, relax, zen for a bit. I prefer working out alone unless I'm with my trainer. My speed, my time, I don't like talking.