Looking WORSE after starting lifting

Has anyone experienced this? I dieted for a full year, and got to around my goal weight, but of course without toning still looked a little soft and flabby.

Now I'm beginning a heavy lifting regimen, and I feel like I look markedly WORSE than before I started. My stomach isn't as flat, and I have more "squish" on my hips and thighs. I am really hoping that, since I've only been at it for 2 weeks, that this is maybe my body retaining water, or possibly little "newbie gains" under the small amount of fat I am still trying to get rid of.

Thoughts? Anyone else had this happen to them? Did it eventually go away? If so, how long did it take? (For anyone wondering, I am eating 1600/day plus exercise calories, 100+g of protein daily, and lift heavy 3 times a week, usually with 20-30 min cardio on rest days.)

ETA: People seem to be confused as to what I'm saying: I'm not expecting to see results in two weeks, I am surprised to look WORSE after two weeks, and am asking if this is normal for lifting newbs. Holy hell, I forgot how you have to spell out EVERYTHING for some people on here, lol!

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    You've been at it for 2 weeks, come back after 2 months
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    I have one area that does this when I start toning and that is my abdominal area. It seems like the fat pushes to one central location then burns away as I strengthen the muscle underneath. Stay with it. It will get better and keep drinking water so your body can release any water that it's hoarding.

Also, you probably won't see any real gains until you've been doing it for 3 months and even still, it won't be that noticeable. You will feel different and you may lose inches.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member

^^This!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

^This
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member

^This

yeah that
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Has anyone experienced this? I dieted for a full year, and got to around my goal weight, but of course without toning still looked a little soft and flabby.

Now I'm beginning a heavy lifting regimen, and I feel like I look markedly WORSE than before I started. My stomach isn't as flat, and I have more "squish" on my hips and thighs. I am really hoping that, since I've only been at it for 2 weeks, that this is maybe my body retaining water, or possibly little "newbie gains" under the small amount of fat I am still trying to get rid of.

Thoughts? Anyone else had this happen to them? Did it eventually go away? If so, how long did it take? (For anyone wondering, I am eating 1600/day plus exercise calories, 100+g of protein daily, and lift heavy 3 times a week, usually with 20-30 min cardio on rest days.)

How is your food compared to before you started lifting? What is your goal exactly?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Two weeks is not enough for you to notice any real change (good or bad).
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member

^This

yeah that

Soooo. what you're all saying is......what, exactly? I don't think I get it. Run it by me one more time, but could you put it in simpler terms, maybe?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member

^This

yeah that

Soooo. what you're all saying is......what, exactly? I don't think I get it. Run it by me one more time, but could you put it in simpler terms, maybe?

they are saying you haven't done it long enough to make any kind of decision/judgement.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member

^^This!

2 weeks is not enough to do ANYTHING lol
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Do zumba.
  • AlongCame_Molly

How is your food compared to before you started lifting? What is your goal exactly?

To look awesome naked!

(Food is about the same, just more of it. High protein and fats, moderate carbs, minimal processed foods, lots of veggies, TONS of water)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Do zumba.

^^ This
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Water retention from swollen muscles.
  • AlongCame_Molly

^This

yeah that

they are saying you haven't done it long enough to make any kind of decision/judgement.

Oh, is THAT what they were saying? All this time? Why didn't they jut say so? :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Water retention from swollen muscles.

and glycogen stored in skeletal muscle...

It will pass. Keep going.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    you could just quit and stay soft and flabby.

People you see with all those cut beautiful muscles didn't get them in two weeks.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Are you measuring? Track them every week, legs, arms, waist and hips.
  • You've been at it for 2 weeks, come back after 2 months

^This

yeah that

Oh, is THAT what they were saying? All this time? Why didn't they jut say so? :laugh:

lol...!
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Currently experiencing this now- ESP in the lower tummy. It'll go away though... I hope :)

17892839.png