Looking WORSE after starting lifting

2»

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Stick with it. Everything will level out eventually. Any time you make major changes to diet or types of exercise, the body will react. Once you get in the routine though, it adjusts.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    How are your cats doing?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    I agree.. come back in a few months. If you still have the same problem then you're doing it wrong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    There is nothing happening good, bad, or otherwise in two weeks...my guess is whatever your issue is, it's in your mind. Lifting only makes people look rockin'...and it takes way longer than 2 weeks. You might be retaining some water which could be attributable to a boat load of possibilities.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Same thing is happening to me after cutting, feel bloated. If you're drinking more milk or whey this is a huge reason, also more food fills up your stomach more.

After my first bulking week I swear I felt and looked like I gained 4 lbs, but I only gained 1 at the most.

Helpful?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Same thing is happening to me after cutting, feel bloated. If you're drinking more milk or whey this is a huge reason, also more food fills up your stomach more.

After my first bulking week I swear I felt and looked like I gained 4 lbs, but I only gained 1 at the most.

Helpful?

Best response so far, very helpful. Yes, I actually am drinking much more milk that I usually do. Whole milk with whey protein, every day now.
  • rogerfryer
    rogerfryer Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, My story is similar. It has take some time and i'm still work in progress. Water retention does play a part and it is a constant battle to monitor food. I'm on 1500 cals. Exercise 3/4 times a week with HIIT training. I rarely use very heavy weights. Try to keep to a weight so I complete the exercise with say 3 sets/15 reps and then a drop set. I follow the standard type programs.
    My weight plateaus, then rises and drops but the trend is about 0.5 to 1 lb per month.
    If you want more info i'm happy to provide it. It took a year before I latched onto the regime that suited me. Listened and tried.
    Have gone from 280 lbs to 220 llbs in 3 years. Not too fast so as the skin has time recover.
    Main thing is the HIIT for the weight loss, along with a food diary. Thank to my fitness pal. Monitor your dimensions as well.
    Use weights to tone.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    you could just quit and stay soft and flabby.

People you see with all those cut beautiful muscles didn't get them in two weeks.

Please refer to the ETA portion of my original post.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Muscles tend to swell when they are stressed through weight lifting. Don't worry about how you look this soon, or if the weight on the scale goes up (it probably will at some point).

All that you can do is stay the course, eat more protein/fats over carbs/sugar, and drink tons of water. You are probably going to have to work consistently for 4-6 weeks before you see any real changes. But try to take measurements, they'll help keep you motivated through the hard times.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    I took a peek at your exercise diary.. I see 3 entries of weight lifting in the past 2 weeks. I find it odd that you would assume the "squish" you're seeing is coming from weight lifting when you haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Have you considered that it may be something not related to lifting that's causing this?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member

Helpful?

Best response so far, very helpful. Yes, I actually am drinking much more milk that I usually do. Whole milk with whey protein, every day now.

Bingo. That confirms it for me too :drinker:
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    I took a peek at your exercise diary.. I see 3 entries of weight lifting in the past 2 weeks. I find it odd that you would assume the "squish" you're seeing is coming from weight lifting when you haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Have you considered that it may be something not related to lifting that's causing this?

Yeah, 3 workouts of anything won't make you fatter or slimmer... I say the increase in protein/fat intake is what's making you feel more bloated & think you look fatter.
  • Shannon_H
    Shannon_H Posts: 35
    I have read a few places that when you start to lift heavy, or even begin exercising, that your body will swell some. Retain water? Don't mark my words, but maybe that's why! Ok, bye! haha
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    ETA: People seem to be confused as to what I'm saying: I'm not expecting to see results in two weeks, I am surprised to look WORSE after two weeks, and am asking if this is normal for lifting newbs. Holy hell, I forgot how you have to spell out EVERYTHING for some people on here, lol!

I think we understood. Most of us, anyway. Our, well, my, answer stands. Two weeks isn't a measure of anything. Don't trust the scale and don't trust your eyes two weeks into any change of program. Give it some time, let your body acclimate to the new regimen, trust in the process.

cuz it be workin, yo
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Has anyone experienced this? I dieted for a full year, and got to around my goal weight, but of course without toning still looked a little soft and flabby.

Now I'm beginning a heavy lifting regimen, and I feel like I look markedly WORSE than before I started. My stomach isn't as flat, and I have more "squish" on my hips and thighs. I am really hoping that, since I've only been at it for 2 weeks, that this is maybe my body retaining water, or possibly little "newbie gains" under the small amount of fat I am still trying to get rid of.

Thoughts? Anyone else had this happen to them? Did it eventually go away? If so, how long did it take? (For anyone wondering, I am eating 1600/day plus exercise calories, 100+g of protein daily, and lift heavy 3 times a week, usually with 20-30 min cardio on rest days.)

ETA: People seem to be confused as to what I'm saying: I'm not expecting to see results in two weeks, I am surprised to look WORSE after two weeks, and am asking if this is normal for lifting newbs. Holy hell, I forgot how you have to spell out EVERYTHING for some people on here, lol!

You're turning into a marshmallow. You're "marshmallowing out". This is a term "they" don't tell you about when "they" tell you to do the weights. Some people just get all mushy and flubbery. This is proven, advanced science to heed the warning signs! Stop with the lifting up and down of the weight training nonsense! It's CHANGING you....
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member

Yeah, 3 workouts of anything won't make you fatter or slimmer... I say the increase in protein/fat intake is what's making you feel more bloated & think you look fatter.

I agree. That or possibly your hormonal cycle is a lot more likely to be making a difference than three workouts.
  • AlongCame_Molly

The "squish" was less squishy before I started lifting. I don't always bother to log strength training, as it adds so few calories back to my diet.

So no.
  • AlongCame_Molly

I agree. That or possibly your hormonal cycle is a lot more likely to be making a difference than three workouts.

Good point, except I don't get them with the BC I'm taking. I'm sure it's just water retention. I've never felt better, now I'm just waiting for my body to catch up and start LOOKING as good as I'm FEELING. :)
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Holy Moly! You look freaking amazing, in my opinion!!! WOW!!! You inspire me!!!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member

Good point, except I don't get them with the BC I'm taking. I'm sure it's just water retention. I've never felt better, now I'm just waiting for my body to catch up and start LOOKING as good as I'm FEELING. :)

It will eventually. Just keep kicking *kitten*.