what do guys really think?

Options

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Here's a better question: What do YOU think of yourself when you're in the gym? When you see yourself in the mirror do you think "Damn she's hot, good for her!" or "You shouldn't be here, you're a waste of space?"

Not trying to be snarky...it's a legit question.

Well said.

I'm a terrible runner, and because of that I used to be afraid to run outside. I always felt like everyone was watching and judging how slow I am. Now I realize that they didn't get to being better just in one day. So, I keep at it, and work on my improving what I can do myself.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I work out in a gym full of men....all the time....and I don't notice them unless they are acting like a Bro and/or trying to kill themselves.

other than that I am head down focused on my routine, my form, my reps and my rest times.

for the most part I notice that the guys are the same....Heads down, counting off their numbers, watching their times and clinking weight.

I assume, they are focused on their work out.

but that's just me.

If they did notice a woman, they probably notice the same thing I do, that she's doing something bizarre or trying to kill herself.

Just a guess.
  • rdjamis
    rdjamis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    guys like girls that SMILE . seems interestingly different!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I that guy at the gym who doesn't even know you exist unless your using something I want and to be honest I probably wouldn't notice or care if everyone just randomly got naked.

*gets membership at his gym for 'scientific purposes'*
    *gets naked to see if he notices*

During the workout nothing would stir but afterwards is a different story...
  • PattiBear85
    PattiBear85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother. "Investing" or paying attention to the less than fit girls so that when they are fit, they think the guy has a heart of gold. Then it. is. on!

But as for me, the only girl I really pay much attention to at the gym is my wife.

I saw that episode...
    And you my dear man are probably a sweet guy or your wife is nearby able to read this. lol
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to come at you sideways with unsolicited advice.
    Do whatever it takes to stop wondering what other people think about you. It's the only way you'll ever really be at peace with yourself. The answers to this thread will both confirm and deny your fears that you're being judged in the gym by people you want to find you attractive. You truly have to stop caring and be about yourself. Good luck. :smile:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Uh... Who says the bigger girls are a waste of space? That's just wrong.

Also, what I think depends on the girl really. If she has swagger and confidence, I may be thinking, "She's hot" If she's shy and jittery afraid that someone is going to be telling her she is a waste of space, then I will think, "Poor girl. She is here doing a good thing for herself, why can't she see that she is worth so much more than what she looks like?" I have seen many a "heavy" girl at the gym that I would be interested in if I weren't busy getting my burn on.

I really respect and admire anyone who comes to the gym to take control of their lives and try to improve themselves. There is a guy I see at the gym, and he walks the track every day. He can't even bend over to get his shoes on correctly, and has the back of the shoe mashed down with his heels. I think it is awesome that he is there every single day rain or shine improving his health, and I can't wait to see the day he can fix his shoes before he hits the track.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Meh, who cares what anyone else thinks. Just do you.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother. "Investing" or paying attention to the less than fit girls so that when they are fit, they think the guy has a heart of gold. Then it. is. on!

But as for me, the only girl I really pay much attention to at the gym is my wife.

Haha! Same thought came to my mind when I read this post! Best show ever!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm usually busy trying not to drop barbells on myself...plus, my weight room is in a completely different area of the gym than cardio...the only woman I usually see is my wife. Not too many women in the weight room of my gym.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    In case you haven't heard, "guys" don't share a group brain or consciousness. Some people who are male are jerks and some are nice and some are gay and most of these magical "guys" could care less what you are doing.

Just a thought.

Almost like people!

Guys are people?!?!?!?!?!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Jennie0918 understand this. YOU are not a waste of space!!

To answer your question, I am an equal opportunity creeper.
    I look at all the ladies:love: .
    I am human I would do some and some I would not do.:flowerforyou:
    Just like all that look my way and want some of this.:drinker:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Meh, who cares what anyone else thinks. Just do you.

yes.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Nobody's a waste of space. If a big person in there, I think it's great they're trying.

Some of your assumptions are off. I don't "check anyone out", but I do notice everyone, since I am not blind and I like people. I leave everyone alone out of courtesy. There's too many complaints about how people hate people who socialize in the gym, so I don't talk to anyone. I have enough trouble getting there myself and not being embarrassed!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I really don't think people pay much attention to what others are doing.

Case in point: years ago,when I was a young and foolish 500 calorie a day dieter,I was at the gym working out for the second time in 12 hours.

I was using the stairmaster and fainted ( shocker with that massive food intake)

I came to and people were stepping over me because I was blocking the water bubbler.

That didn't draw much attention so I doubt anyone was paying attention when I was upright.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    In case you haven't heard, "guys" don't share a group brain or consciousness. Some people who are male are jerks and some are nice and some are gay and most of these magical "guys" could care less what you are doing.

Just a thought.

Almost like people!

Guys are people?!?!?!?!?!

I said "almost". :angry:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't really take notice of the girls any more than the guys. Hot or not. I'm there to work out, so are they.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think most decent people would judge you for having bad form before judging your weight. A lot of them probably were bigger at one point too.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I look at everyone the same if male or female. Only way I separate them is by how hard they are working out based on their fitness level. I'm more impressed by a 400lbs girl sweating bullets walking on the treadmill vs a in shape girl not breaking a sweat on the elliptical. The more effort the more I tend to notice, cause it motivates me to push to their level.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I only notice people if they are staring ar me or using what I want.

Though, the girl on Monday with the nice tush got noticed Monday when she was doing stiff legged dead lifts in front of me.