Eat more calories and lose weight- What is really happening

Options

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You're completely correct.

However

I lost 1 lb a week (accurately) eating 1200 calories and I also lost 1 lb a week (accurately) eating 1650 calories.

Black magic? Maybe.

It's not a one-sized fits all answer for ever single individual. Do I want to believe that the mathematical logistics apply to everyone equally? Well, yeah. But who knows why it doesn't.

If I can lose 1 lb a week eating more or less, I choose more. If someone offered me a salary of 100,000 dollars a year, that'd be like me saying "nah, I'm good with 50,000".

The problem I have the large deficits isn't the fact of whether it works or not. Of course it works. When those people gain it all back and have ended up with a huge loss of LBM, THAT'S when they'll look for another way.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bump this thread for later!
  • gabrielle_eliza
    Options
    Call me slow, but I still have trouble understanding this.

For me, personally, I am trying to lose two pounds a week. So, that means a 7000 calorie weekly deficit, or 1000 calories a day.

My TDEE is a little above 2500. So that means I should be eating 1500 calories daily to achieve a 1000 calorie deficit.

I eat around 1300-1400, only because I'm leaving room for error when either counting calories burned exercising or slight estimating on food. Everyone is telling me I am eating too little. But if I eat more, I won't lose as much weight?

My question is: How do I still lose two pounds a week if I do not have a 7000 calorie deficit?

7590118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Fascinating.
    Why is it so crazy to imagine that the human body would adapt to conditions?
    I think we'd all readily agree that the body gets more efficient at certain cardio exercises, so you burn less. We're not afraid to believe that theory, because it means "you need to burn more/eat less".
    But why would we NOT believe that the body adapts to consistently deep deficits? We're afraid to believe that, because it might indicate that a shallower deficit (ie, eating more, burning less) is a good idea.
    This is a case of outcome bias.
    And yes, I think that the adaptation may be very aligned with NEAT in the shorter term. In other words, you'd slow down because you're hungry. Heck, I'm COLD when I run a deep deficit. I can FEEL it. But it's also common sense that, if you lose fast (say 3 pounds a week when you're not obese), some of that will be muscle. And if you lose muscle, ultimately your metabolism will drop. So it would logically affect you in the longer term too.
  • gabrielle_eliza
    Options
    Call me slow, but I still have trouble understanding this.

For me, personally, I am trying to lose two pounds a week. So, that means a 7000 calorie weekly deficit, or 1000 calories a day.

My TDEE is a little above 2500. So that means I should be eating 1500 calories daily to achieve a 1000 calorie deficit.

I eat around 1300-1400, only because I'm leaving room for error when either counting calories burned exercising or slight estimating on food. Everyone is telling me I am eating too little. But if I eat more, I won't lose as much weight?

My question is: How do I still lose two pounds a week if I do not have a 7000 calorie deficit?

7590118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

You don't... you can't tell your body how much to lose and by when. All you can do is do what you're supposed to do and let the results come. As i mentioned above a large deficit can lead to a stall out, has happened to many people including myself. The thing is to eat the right amount of calories. Here is how to set up your calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975707-fat-loss-tactics-guide

Thank you!
  • Imani9629
    Imani9629 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like this. Tagging for future reference.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You're completely correct.

However

I lost 1 lb a week (accurately) eating 1200 calories and I also lost 1 lb a week (accurately) eating 1650 calories.

Black magic? Maybe.

It's not a one-sized fits all answer for ever single individual. Do I want to believe that the mathematical logistics apply to everyone equally? Well, yeah. But who knows why it doesn't.

If I can lose 1 lb a week eating more or less, I choose more. If someone offered me a salary of 100,000 dollars a year, that'd be like me saying "nah, I'm good with 50,000".

The problem I have the large deficits isn't the fact of whether it works or not. Of course it works. When those people gain it all back and have ended up with a huge loss of LBM, THAT'S when they'll look for another way.

Exactly same thing with me. I lost a pound a week on 1200 calories, now I lose a pound a week eating 1500. I feel much more satisfied on 1500, I felt hungry all the time on 1200. Doesn't sound logical, but it happened.
  • bizzyeck
    bizzyeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So then what would you say to me:

Lost 16 lbs from Jan to March (10 weeks) eating 1280 a day
    Realized I was losing faster than planned and hungry all the time so I upped it to 1435
    No real movement after 5 weeks so I moved it to 1561 using http://physiquelore.com/harris-benedict/

I am losing and gaining the same 2 lbs over the last 7 weeks.

I do have Hasimotos but if I am to believe my MD I am in a good range with my meds

Background: I am a 48 yrs old RN. I work 3 days a week, 2 of them I walk for 6 of the 8 hrs and 1 day I sit most of the time.
    I do Leslie Sansone Walk at Home 2 mile (1/2 Brisk walk/ low impact aerobics) 3x week. Of course, I am a mom to 3 kids (2 at home) so I don't sit on the couch and do nothing. There is a house to clean, laundry to do, shopping, cooking, yard work etc...meaning I don't sit around and eat Bon Bons all day. I think my diet is ok. Some days the sodium could be better but I never go over 2500. ALWAYS drink my water. I was thinking maybe I should take in less carbs but other than that I feel like I am missing something or need to be more patient.

I don't do lifting or anything more because I suffer from Fibromyalgia and have Hashimoto's. Both of these leave me so exhausted it's crazy. I HAVE tried to work through the fatigue and muscle issues but it truly kills me. Not an excuse just a plain up fact. I argued with the MD over my diagnosis for years since I don't want to believe I can't somehow fix this! After 10 yrs of testing I gave in and accepted it but still want to lose this weight. The walking I do fine with so I decided to stay with only that.

Diary is open for constructive advise
  • bizzyeck
    Options
    Yes Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease producing antibodies that attack the Thyroid. Makes you tired, increases cholesterol and a host of other fun stuff. BUT with hormone replacement I should be like any other person, again if I believe my MD which I do.

Yes, What I am saying is since I upped my calories to 1435 I can't lose weight.

Then I found your site (didn't realize it was yours) and felt it was sound advice so upped my calories again. It actually came out to TDEE -3500 a week 1561 (which is exactly what I am looking for - 1 lb a week loss).

Still not moving in the weight.. So, if I used your advice I would move down 10% which would take me back to somewhere around the 1435 I was already at.

I agree.. the question is, what is my true TDEE? And why did I lose weight in the beginning? I don't want to go that low again because I was really hungry!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I believe that one of the problems is magnesium and/or iodine deficiency or deficiencies of other nutrients. Iodine deficiency is common--especially in areas where not a lot of seafood is eaten (plus, if your water is fluoridated, the fluorine ions fill the receptor sites for iodine to make matters worse). Makes for a wonky thyroid gland and lower metabolism.

When you go for a protracted period of time eating at a deficit, it is my theory that unless you are eating VERY well, you will develop nutritional deficiencies--with minerals being high on the list (yes, even if you take a multi every day). Studies show that about 85% of us have magnesium deficiencies (because we don't eat our veggies and fruits) which means that your body cannot efficiently convert T-4 (thyroxine) to the active form, T-3. So you could be pumping out T-4 but be clinically hypothyroid because you cannot convert it to T-3. And guess what? Your weight loss will stall.

Also, magnesium ions are essential for energy transport to the mitochondria. And while we are on the subject of energy transport, metabolizing sugar "uses up" ATP (involved with energy transport). You will feel sluggish if you are eating a lot of sugar and simple carbs. That is why you must eat VERY well on a caloric deficit.
  • bizzyeck
    Options
    I personally take Magnesium for the Thyroid issues,
    D Ribose for energy, to help with ATP production
    ALA and ALC , and CoQ10 to help with memory issues from who knows what (fibromayalgia or Hashimotos). They actually help. Without these I am in constant pain, cold and can't think clear to save my life!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    ALA and ALC , and CoQ10 to help with memory issues from who knows what (fibromayalgia or Hashimotos). They actually help. Without these I am in constant pain, cold and can't think clear to save my life!

Excellent! Sounds like you know your stuff (which is essential because the medical establishment (in general) is uh...less than competent, to deal with most thyroid disease). Before anyone decides to flame me, check out the disastrous treatment that many on the thyroid forum have had to endure.

ETA: Since Hashi is an autoimmune condition, Vitamin D is very important. Some interesting research is suggesting that it will down-regulate a hyper-excitable immune response. May help in addition to all the other stuff.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think you're overlooking an important factor: diet-induced adaptive thermogenesis. This, in my opinion accounts for most of the cases we see on here of weight loss stalling out when eating LCDs.

Here's some additional info for you if you're not familiar with the concept or science behind it.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/5/990.short

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ijo2012124a.html

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v34/n1s/full/ijo2010184a.html

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2012.01041.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
  • bizzyeck
    Options
    I agree to a point... I was starving at 1280! I really don't want to go back there :smile:
    And I lost no weight at 1435 after 5 weeks
    No weight lose at 1560 after 3 weeks

I will probably try 1500 although I don't see why 60 calories would make that much of a difference.

I guess I am just whining and wanted to feel sorry for myself. I know the answer is that it will be a constant battle to find the right number but I just wanted to see if I was missing something in my diary. I know... wishful thinking

Thanks for your advice!
  • bugga814
    bugga814 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm new on the message boards and I'm in a stall these posts confused me I don't rea:sick: lly understand what to do to get p:frown: ast this stall I have a good scale and measure everything that goes in my stomach was on 1300 calories just up to 1400 I need helput
  • bizzyeck
    Options

Excellent! Sounds like you know your stuff (which is essential because the medical establishment (in general) is uh...less than competent, to deal with most thyroid disease). Before anyone decides to flame me, check out the disastrous treatment that many on the thyroid forum have had to endure.

ETA: Since Hashi is an autoimmune condition, Vitamin D is very important. Some interesting research is suggesting that it will down-regulate a hyper-excitable immune response. May help in addition to all the other stuff.

I have had my D level checked. Being an RN has put me in the position to ask many MD's advice and it was a pain management Doc who said the first thing he checks is a D level. Mine was normal, but it may be something to review again.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i tracked my food religiously for months (on my own, not here) and never cheated. i was putting in 3 hours of treadmill 5 days a week - 13 miles in total (plus strength m/w/f). calculators said i was easily burning 1000+ a day (more like 1200+). i stopped losing, which is why i found this site.

i was eating 1600 cals a day. i now try to eat 2000 calories, and lose weight. i changed my workout to only an hour at higher intensity, though runner's world says i now lose 680 vs the 1200 or so it used to be.

To be clear - i burn half the cals, and eat 400-500 cals more a day... and broke a plateau and lose at least the same amount of weight i did before. I added those calories all at breakfast, adding oatmeal+ to my existing breakfast, and added a clif bar to go with my lunch.

So... I upped my cals hundreds, and lowered my burn... and started losing. I know that doesn't seem mathematically possible, but it certainly worked for me, regardless.

I'm sure there's some 'reason'. However, none of the OP's ideas are apply to me. I weigh everything on a scale. I don't cheat on my diet, and i log every thing that goes into me accurately. I never skip exercise. i don't go to restaurants.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. For some of us eating more to lose weight does not work. However if you are one of those that is able to lose more weight by eating more then I envy you.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. For some of us eating more to lose weight does not work. However if you are one of those that is able to lose more weight by eating more then I envy you.

oh, i agree it doesn't make much sense. then again, neither did it make sense that i completely stopped losing weight going 13 miles a day and eating approx 1600 cals a day (male).

it wasn't till i found this site, and figured out my bmr/tdee that i even realized i wasn't eating enough. i had just put together what sounded like a good meal plan and stuck to it (and it worked for about 22 pounds till it stalled).

adding hundreds of cals a day didn't feel 'right', but i took a chance on it. the bmr/tdee stuff made sense, and me not losing weight didn't... so i figured it was worth a shot. glad i did -- love oatmeal, and now i get to have it with lots of toppings every morning. plus i have 2 extra hours a day from shortening my workout.

i'm guessing it requires a specific set of circumstances though.