High Calorie Burn Workouts????

Options
Does any one have any specific workouts that are higher calorie burn than others that you enjoy? I am trying to get ideas. Always done walking but in order to burn higher calories I would have to walk for like an hour and half everyday! Boring! Anyhow any suggestions? I am a newbie so it really can't be anything too strenuous but I am open! Thanks!

Replies

• rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know playing racket ball burns a lot of calories.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    you burn calories by doing work. want to burn more per time? Then you hzve to work harder. Want to keep the intensity constant??? Then you have to work longer. What you're doing is relatively unimportant to this. jogging, running, walking, treadmill, eliptical, xxxxxxx class session, spinning, whatever flavor of the month that everyone else suggests, etc. Doesn't matter, the principal remains the same. There is no such thing as a magical exercise technique that puts calorie burn into overdrive. Want results? Workout harder every time.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As far as enjoy...I'm enjoying my elliptical I have at home parked in front of the tv. Start a tv show via netflix, hop on, go for 45-60min and burn a good chunk of calories while enjoying a show. Works for me!
  • thrushes
    thrushes Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,
    Les Mills classes such as Body Attack, Body Jam and Body step burn lots of calories, depending on your weight and the intensity that you work at you can burn up to 700 calories per hour. Zumba is also a great calorie burning class and lots of fun too! Hope this helps.:happy:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I burn about 400 calories for 45 minutes of swimming, and that's only REALLY going hard about 30% of the time, the other times I swim at a normal pace or kick hard using the board. Anything that can keep your heart rate up for a good amount of time will burn more. The stair stepper is really good for it too.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Walking my dog for a good 30-45 minutes burns about 350-400 calories depending on how fast we walk, the hills we go up, how long we actually walk, etc. I think at one point when I calculated my steps and mph, I burned burned about 600 calories in an hour... and tired my puppy out, haha!

Otherwise, they have express circuits at some gyms. Steps are a HUGE help. Planet Fitness has this 30 minutes express workout that keeps you going and will absolutely burn a lot. I think it calculates out to around 700 calories in 30 minutes. If the steps in that type of workout are too much, an elliptical definitely burns more. You can also increase the resistance on a treadmill or stationary bike.

If you can't get out... literally go up and down stairs at home multiple times... sometimes holding bags or even a full laundry basket. Vacuuming, dusting, moving furniture and cleaning, gardening, etc.. it all burns calories more than you think! I burn a lot just cleaning at work and at home!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    you burn calories by doing work. want to burn more per time? Then you hzve to work harder. Want to keep the intensity constant??? Then you have to work longer. What you're doing is relatively unimportant to this. jogging, running, walking, treadmill, eliptical, xxxxxxx class session, spinning, whatever flavor of the month that everyone else suggests, etc. Doesn't matter, the principal remains the same. There is no such thing as a magical exercise technique that puts calorie burn into overdrive. Want results? Workout harder every time.

Pretty much this. Work out harder or longer, or both. That's how you burn more calories.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Running. 53mins will burn me just under 700 cal.
  • link136937
    Options
    Take a boxing class! According to MFP I burn over 800 calories in an hr. Plus you can get out your frustrations lol
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Like others have said; it's boring, but long cardio workouts are what you need. You need extended periods where your heart rate is up (be careful though, don't go overboard).
  • katherinelangley
    Options
    Try spinning!!
  • TheSterlingRose
    TheSterlingRose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical myself. I could only do five minutes when I started, and can now go for half an hour. It burns a lot more calories than the treadmill for the same amount of time on a machine.
  • joannaorgovan
    joannaorgovan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't go by MFP for your calorie burn, get a heart rate monitor. I burn 400-500 calories an hour, sometimes more weight lifting. Going out for a walk/jog for half an hour is 300 calories. Doing light kickboxing at home with my bags is about 500 calories an hour. If I go to a barre class it's around 400 calories an hour. My calorie burn fluctuates depending on how I feel and how intensely I work out.

Most of the things I like to do, MFP is way off.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Def. get a heart rate monitor!! However I LOVE Zumba - I do not do the classes I have the dvd set and do it at home. I change it up a bit here and there but I am just in love. The set I have is from 20 min up to an hour. In one of the 40 min workouts I burn about 300 cals (I am 37, 198 lbs) you will burn diff. The longer ones I have not done just yet but I am sure they will burn more!

If you are looking for fun - Zumba is so recommended :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    have you considered lifting? muscle burns fuel 24/7 instead of only during the workout.
  • WandaWreckonwith
    Options
    I second the Les Mills classes, I love them. Spinning is awesome. If I want to get good cardio in, but feel like I'm not working, I hit the local roller rink. You can rollerskate for hours and get a major workout without even feeling like you worked out!
  • Bubblevixen
    Bubblevixen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started out with the Beachbody Ten minute trainer program, I started on 30 minutes a day and finishing the Accelerated result schedule next week. I'm progressing onto P90 next and P90X afterwards. I wanted to start slow because I've never been a great exercise fanatic. Also damaged my knees and hips a few years ago, and they can be a bit awkward to work out with :P So i figured i'll build my stamina & strength up first before i move on to more difficult programs. :)
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    High intensity interval training, weight lifting, jogging stairs (or walking them at a fast pace)
    walking really really fast uphill, swimming against the current, skating

Oh and I forgot the usual machines tread climber, elliptical, stair climber, spinning
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    running burns the most for me
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do stuff like this. It hurts, but it'll make you burn:
    http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/leg-circuit/

Jump rope. Weights.

High intensity for a shorter time is better than walking for an hour any day!