Ladies how much do you squat???

Options
I have been lifting heavy for about 4 months now and last night I was able to increase my weight on barbell squats to 110. Some of the guys at my gym seem impressed by this. I didn't think that was too impressive. So I was just interested to see where other ladies are at with their squats.

Replies

• bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 105 but I am going for 115 on Saturday. I use a Smith machine so I know it's easier...
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Also the barbell kills my upper back where I rest it on. I am so sore this morning from the weight increase on the site I rest my barbell on. Does this get stronger or am I doing something wrong.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well, when i drink too much i have to squat A LOT!
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm only squatting 75 lbs. I just moved over to the rack, so I'm fairly new at it. I tried starting with 85 lbs, but I could feel it mostly in my lower back so I knew it must have been too heavy and I had poor form. Dropping down 10 lbs made a huge difference.

Does anyone know how often you should increase your weight?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I squatted 115 for 3 this morning, I believe I've squatted maybe 130 in the past. I don't get to go high very often because I workout mostly at home (and 115 is as high as I have right now). I also took some time off from heavy squatting because of knee issues.

As to increasing weight, I increase my weight every week, per the plan I'm doing. I can't go up at quite the right intervals the plan says because of the plates i have available, and I'll be plateauing for awhile until I get an actual Olympic bar (my current bar is a 30 pound 3 piece bar that can hold the weight it came with (so it goes to 110), and I've been slapping an extra 5 pounds on it as well, not sure it could really hold too much more than that safely).
  • mili5726
    Options
    I usually increase my weight when I can do 12 reps without my muscles feeling like I can't do one more rep. When I did the increase last night I had to struggle for that last rep
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Impressive is relative, I think if it was more than you did x long ago, it's all good.

If you want an absolute number, I know a couple of women that can put up 120kg (approx 265lbs) at a bodyweight of ~60kg (~133lbs).

Also, so many guys only worry about upper body, that as soon as you get to a moderately decent squat, they will be in awe, as they can't (or won't) do it.

Just to be clear, I'm not taking away from your achievement, as I think it's awesome.
  • mili5726
    Options
    I have a small barbell at home as well but its hard to use it for squats without a rack. I have about 150 pounds in plates but again I need a rack to place it on.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back into it. So I'm not squatting very much. About 20 lbs and the bar (of course lol).
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Am at 85 lbs on the smith machine :)
  • mili5726
    Options
    HelloDan now 265 is impressive. These ladies probably warm up with my measly 110 (:
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    HelloDan now 265 is impressive. These ladies probably warm up with my measly 110 (:

For full disclosure, they do compete at weightlifting.

They've also been training a while, if you keep it up, and want it enough, you'll be right there too.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 165#
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My 1 rep max is 265lbs. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 181lbs.

I do Strong Lifts 5x5, and my working number is 175 right now (I lift alone most of the time, so I hate to go too heavy and get stuck).
  • mili5726
    Options
    Lahoechst what do you do to prevent the barbell from making your upper back sore. The site where I rest the barbell on is always really sore the next day.
  • mili5726
    Options
    Lahoechst what do you do to prevent the barbell from making your upper back sore. The site where I rest the barbell on is always really sore the next day.

Same question for LoraF83
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    5x5 @ 105#, I don't know my 1RM though.

One of my pals hit 120# a few motnhs ago and she's 120# lol
    Another pal's PB is 100kg x5x2 (nz_deeva)

Can't wait to hit bodyweight though but I've been a bit stuck/working on form
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

i'm not sure? i've never had problems with being sore from the bar. I make sure that i sqeeze my shoulder blades together to make a "shelf"
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I think that's impressive for 4 months! :smile:

For me, squats are my worst lift when compared to the level I'm at with the others. I've been squatting for around 2 years and have got up to 70kg (154lbs) as a max :/ but they are starting to improve more so now, which makes me happy.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Same question for LoraF83

I'm always a little sore there.....I just deal with it, lol!

But, they make pads you can put on the bar. It's like a foam roll that rests across your shoulders. It makes it more comfortable.