Ladies how much do you squat???

Options

Replies

• juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    80 lbs but am going for 90 lbs tonight.
    Once the muscles at the base of my neck (whatever they're called) got bigger the bar no longer caused discomfort.
    I built my own padding :-)
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    You can be as serious or as relaxed about it as you like.

You don't need to go for Olympic gold, but having competitions makes the setting of PBs and trying to beat your previous competition lifts all the more fun.

Once I get lighter (and then get stronger), I'd love to take a stab at competing. I know I have a long way to go before that happens though.
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    I feel a little strain in my lower back when I do squats as well. My trainer said my form is good so I am not sure why that is. I have never felt injured though, I just feel a little strain after I do a set, especially when I increase my weight.

That little strain, assuming its not actual pain, is probably from not having a really strong core. Squats (with or without weight) require a lot of core strength and if that has not developed yet, then your back is taking some of that stress. Its pretty normal, I had it when I first started and still do a little when I up my weight. As your core becomes stronger, that strain will fade. And I would suggest looking up a low bar squat and see if that helps the neck soreness.

Just keep lifting!

ETA: I am currently up to 120# on my back squats and 85# on my front squats :happy:
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I want to start doing front squats as well. They feel much more awkward then back squats though, and I am not near as strong. I am going to start practicing them.
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    I want to start doing front squats as well. They feel much more awkward then back squats though, and I am not near as strong. I am going to start practicing them.

If they feel awkward, start with a PVC pipe or broomstick to get the proper form down. I will warn you that you will get a choking sensation from the bar resting against your neck, that can be pretty awkward, but you get used to it.
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I'm only squatting 40 lbs (15x3 with the pre-loaded plates attached to the bar) because that's as much as I can lift over my head. I need to get in the rack but it's intimidating, and I've been told to stay away from the Smith machine.

Actually, now that I'm writing this I'm wondering if that's even the correct weight. It says '40' on each plate. 40 lbs or kilos? And does that mean that is the weight of each plate or the total of both plates plus the bar? I've never thought about this until now lol....
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    currently at 105 for a set of 10 reps. Never tried my 1 max rep. Been real tempted to try but no spotter :((
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I use bar squats as my warm up for legs because I'm too scared to go to max without a spotter. I put 70 on the bar, plus the bar (45) = 115 lbs for 3x12

But I am 5'9" and weigh 195 lbs. I really want to lift heavy but am scared to without a spotter.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

If they feel awkward, start with a PVC pipe or broomstick to get the proper form down. I will warn you that you will get a choking sensation from the bar resting against your neck, that can be pretty awkward, but you get used to it.

Front squats will work your back a lot more, as you need to stay upright, or you'll dump the bar.

If you have big enough shoulder, and are strong enough to keep them elevated, you can keep the bar decently far away from your windpipe.

Although the concept of the PVC pipe is good, I think it's good to use some weight, because it makes a difference to the rack position, and it changes how you balance too.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'm squatting 165 now, but I do them in a circuit. I do like 10 and alternate with other exercises. No idea what my max would be. I love it, more women def need to try out lifting.

For the back pain, the gym may have foam tubes that you can place on the bar to help. If they don't, I sometime just wrap a towel around it.

As for trying front squats, I would recommend having someone watch your form, as they are a little tougher to hold. In the beginning, I was always dropping my arms too low, causing my alignment was off. I also agree with using the bar as opposed to the PVC pipe. Practice the body alignment, balance, and range of motion correctly from the start. It should make adding more weight a little more fluid.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Right now, only with my own bodyweight.
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    Yikes. I'm only squatting 40 lbs (15x3 with the pre-loaded plates attached to the bar) because that's as much as I can lift over my head. I need to get in the rack but it's intimidating, and I've been told to stay away from the Smith machine.

Actually, now that I'm writing this I'm wondering if that's even the correct weight. It says '40' on each plate. 40 lbs or kilos? And does that mean that is the weight of each plate or the total of both plates plus the bar? I've never thought about this until now lol....

If it is a pre-loaded bar, it is likely a total of 40lbs. Don't be afraid of the rack!!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My 1 rep max is 265lbs. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 181lbs.

I do Strong Lifts 5x5, and my working number is 175 right now (I lift alone most of the time, so I hate to go too heavy and get stuck).

Use the catch bars! You won't have to worry about needing a spotter!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I finally hit 100#, but my knees don't like it. So I have had to deload.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Currently, 150lbs, but going for 155 tomorrow.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Here is a chart that will give you some idea of where your lifts fall compared to your body weight.

Its really not that important as long as you are using proper form and pushing yourself to improve but it is still fun to know.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Lahoechst what do you do to prevent the barbell from making your upper back sore. The site where I rest the barbell on is always really sore the next day.

Same question for LoraF83

I think it has been answered already. But you are probably holding the bar to close to your neck. Squeeze your shoulders together and make a shelf (someone else mentioned this). At first you will feel like it is too far back. They also have the foam pads and sting rays that help reduce the pressure on your shoulders.

I do front squats too and never have an issue with the bar choking my windpipe......that sounds painful!
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5x5 and I'm up to 145 (my body weight is 133). I need to keep practicing though because I don't go quite as far as I want - I might have to offload some and start again
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My 1 rep max is 265lbs. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 181lbs.

I do Strong Lifts 5x5, and my working number is 175 right now (I lift alone most of the time, so I hate to go too heavy and get stuck).

Use the catch bars! You won't have to worry about needing a spotter!

I could - I just hate the idea of going to my max with literally no one else in the gym. I have the place to myself 99% of the time, so I'm better safe than sorry.
    I go hard when I have a partner - which happens a couple times a month.

Ok, that sounded wrong, lol! :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Here is a chart that will give you some idea of where your lifts fall compared to your body weight.

Its really not that important as long as you are using proper form and pushing yourself to improve but it is still fun to know.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

Nice! I'm almost elite :bigsmile:

But I agree - as long as you're trying to improve, that's the most important part!

Cheers to all you ladies who are picking things up and putting them down!!!